Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KnightsOnMintSt

Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not sure why people want Madrigal leading off. He's like a 2 hole create a player. Incredible bat to ball skills and you're okay with him sacrificing ab's because he doesnt have any power. 

We shouldn’t be sacrificing at-bats with our two-hole hitter in this day & age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I kinda like the idea of Yoan hitting 3rd if Madrigal can also pump up the OBP. 

Madrigal
Robert
Moncada
Jiminez
Abreu
Unknown but would be nice if LH
Anderson

You've got a top 3 including your potential future best hitter batting 2, OBP at slots 1 and 3, speed at the top, RBIs at slots 4-5, balance at the bottom of the order. 

That’s exactly what I would do, but insert Grandal as that left-handed bat.  And down the road, replace Abreu with Vaughn and then flip flop him and Eloy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably bat Robert lower in the order, I don't see him as being an on-base threat. Maybe like a .320-.330 OBP guy at his peak. So either 3rd or 5th, probably. So like:

1. Madrigal

2. Moncada

3. Abreu or some other 1B/DH type (Collins? Sheets? FA?)

4. Eloy

5. Robert

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s exactly what I would do, but insert Grandal as that left-handed bat.  And down the road, replace Abreu with Vaughn and then flip flop him and Eloy.

If we sign Grandal and a RF (let’s say Gordon), I go with something like this:

1. Madrigal 2B

2. Robert CF

3. Moncada 3B

4. Eloy LF

5. Grandal C/DH

6. Abreu 1B

7. Anderson SS

8. Gordon RF

9. McCann DH/C

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If we sign Grandal and a RF (let’s say Gordon), I go with something like this:

1. Madrigal 2B

2. Robert CF

3. Moncada 3B

4. Eloy LF

5. Grandal C/DH

6. Abreu 1B

7. Anderson SS

8. Gordon RF

9. McCann DH/C

 

I'm not sure why people keep discussing signing Grandal. The catching tandem next year will be McCann and Collins. The Sox will give Collins every chance to stick at catcher .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure why people keep discussing signing Grandal. The catching tandem next year will be McCann and Collins. The Sox will give Collins every chance to stick at catcher .

I'll bite, Collins could be your Evan Gattis type 3rd catcher, 1B/DH with Grandal and McCann manning the C position.  Isn't it what the Sox are grooming Zach for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure why people keep discussing signing Grandal. The catching tandem next year will be McCann and Collins. The Sox will give Collins every chance to stick at catcher .

Because McCann still hasn’t proven he is worth throwing all of your eggs in his basket with his awful second half, that are much like his usual numbers.  I like the idea of McCann backing up Grandal and Collins being able to DH, play 1B, and catch every once in awhile.  Signing Grandal and a RF would make a huge improvement to the lineup.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because McCann still hasn’t proven he is worth throwing all of your eggs in his basket with his awful second half, that are much like his usual numbers.  I like the idea of McCann backing up Grandal and Collins being able to DH, play 1B, and catch every once in awhile.  Signing Grandal and a RF would make a huge improvement to the lineup.

I think the Sox really like the way he handles the pitchers which is why they signed hi. in the first place.

I'm not saying your logic is wrong, I just don't think the Sox will do do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure why people keep discussing signing Grandal. The catching tandem next year will be McCann and Collins. The Sox will give Collins every chance to stick at catcher .

Because Grandal is probably the best left-handed bat on the market and one of the premier catchers in the game.

How would you address the left-handed bat problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Grandal is probably the best left-handed bat on the market and one of the premier catchers in the game.

How would you address the left-handed bat problem?

I’ve always been a huge fan of balancing the lineup, but I find myself wondering if it really matters that much anymore.  

Don’t get me wrong, I would love the big LH bat but not at the cost of forcing it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Grandal is probably the best left-handed bat on the market and one of the premier catchers in the game.

How would you address the left-handed bat problem?

It would be stupid if the Sox don’t go after Grandal with the money they have available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the extra roster spot next year I wouldn't be surprised if they go with McCann, Zavala and Collins as the catchers.   Collins will catch once a week when there's a really tough righty on the mound.  The other days he'll rotate between 1B and DH.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

With the extra roster spot next year I wouldn't be surprised if they go with McCann, Zavala and Collins as the catchers.   Collins will catch once a week when there's a really tough righty on the mound.  The other days he'll rotate between 1B and DH.  

Zavala is AAA fodder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It would be stupid if the Sox don’t go after Grandal with the money they have available.

I agree.  They’re going to want to add a left-handed bat and basically only have a handful of options to do so: RF, DH/1B, & C.  And when you actually look at the free agent options, there aren’t a lot of quality LH hitters at those spots.

To me, not prioritizing Grandal would be crazy even if you still think Collins has a decent chance to stick at C.  McCann is a nice player (I was 100% wrong on him) and has done a great job with Giolito, but Grandal is a significant upgrade and a much better fit.  And I’m not against the idea of going into 2020 with a three heading catching monster of Grandal, McCann, & Collins, with Zack & Yasmani basically splitting DH duties.  Trade for a RF or simply sign a stopgap (if you want to buy time for Walker / AA guys) and you suddenly have a very nice looking offense.  That would definitely be my plan on the positional side unless they are willing to go balls out for Rendon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree.  They’re going to want to add a left-handed bat and basically only have a handful of options to do so: RF, DH/1B, & C.  And when you actually look at the free agent options, there aren’t a lot of quality LH hitters at those spots.

To me, not prioritizing Grandal would be crazy even if you still think Collins has a decent chance to stick at C.  McCann is a nice player (I was 100% wrong on him) and has done a great job with Giolito, but Grandal is a significant upgrade and a much better fit.  And I’m not against the idea of going into 2020 with a three heading catching monster of Grandal, McCann, & Collins, with Zack & Yasmani basically splitting DH duties.  Trade for a RF or simply sign a stopgap (if you want to buy time for Walker / AA guys) and you suddenly have a very nice looking offense.  That would definitely be my plan on the positional side unless they are willing to go balls out for Rendon.

 

I think the jury is still out on McCann.  He has been bad at the plate in the second half and closer to his career numbers.  It would be an excellent idea to improve the lineup and the catcher position by adding Grandal in front of McCann.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

AAA fodder = back up catcher.  

26 years old and hitting .218 in AAA = organizational player

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Batting average huh.  Alrighty then.  

Okay, look at his strikeout rate in the minors then.  His first taste of the majors was no surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

AAA fodder = back up catcher.  

Unless hes a great defender, probably not an MLB backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Grandal is probably the best left-handed bat on the market and one of the premier catchers in the game.

How would you address the left-handed bat problem?

I think they are going with Collins as the catcher with McCann. The left handed bat may be from RF.

This isn't so much that I dont like Grandal as I think the Sox have too much invested in Collins to sign another catcher, from their view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think they are going with Collins as the catcher with McCann. The left handed bat may be from RF.

This isn't so much that I dont like Grandal as I think the Sox have too much invested in Collins to sign another catcher, from their view.

Too much invested in Collins?  How so?  They barely played him when they called him up.  They also spent a first round pick on Carson Fulmer as well and he’s basically a 26th man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Too much invested in Collins?  How so?  They barely played him when they called him up.  They also spent a first round pick on Carson Fulmer as well and he’s basically a 26th man.

the fact that they brought him up and didnt play him, makes me think that they are really grooming him. from what I heard they really had him work with McCann on learning preparation and hitters. There is much more to being a catcher than hitting.

I could be way off base but I think they are set on using a McCann/Collins tandem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Alex Gordon the solution at his age based on one season out of his last four where he actually came close to earning his salary...?

Relying on him or Collins or whatever seems pretty desperate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×