Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KnightsOnMintSt

Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would give Grandal 4-years, $60 million in a second.  $60 million guaranteed ($15 million per year) is easily manageable for the Sox and would have a big impact on the lineup.  Sure, I would love to see the Sox throw a big contract at Cole but he could get 6-years and $200 million.  For much less money and risk, a guy like Grandal could still make a big impact.

Also, I don’t care how McCann finishes the season.  He’s too big of a risk as a one year wonder even if he finishes strong.  Besides, having two good catchers is a great problem to have.  Add Collins to the roster and you could play some interesting lineups to get 2 of these 3 bats in the lineup at C, DH, and 1B while keeping a viable catcher on the bench getting them all a good amount of at bats as well as keeping them all fresh for an entire season.

I understand your thinking on McCann and he would be an excellent backup with just his defense. Also cut Grandal 's catching duties and utilize his bat to prevent his drop off late in year.   But if Grandal already turned down 4-60, as I said earlier I would guess you have to go 5-80 to get him.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I understand your thinking on McCann and he would be an excellent backup with just his defense. Also cut Grandal 's catching duties and utilize his bat to prevent his drop off late in year.   But if Grandal already turned down 4-60, as I said earlier I would guess you have to go 5-80 to get him.   

No one is signing a 31 year old catcher for 5 years 80 million.

Theres a lot of conflicting catcher data that says grandal is a bad defender too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one is signing a 31 year old catcher for 5 years 80 million.

Theres a lot of conflicting catcher data that says grandal is a bad defender too.

Honestly, Grandal being 31 is my main reservation to signing him to a 4 year deal.

I know they also need pitching but add Grandal and one of the free agent outfielders, along with Robert and Madrigal, and Abreu back on a short hometown deal, and the lineup looks pretty damn good.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I understand your thinking on McCann and he would be an excellent backup with just his defense. Also cut Grandal 's catching duties and utilize his bat to prevent his drop off late in year.   But if Grandal already turned down 4-60, as I said earlier I would guess you have to go 5-80 to get him.   

It's a year later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one is signing a 31 year old catcher for 5 years 80 million.

Theres a lot of conflicting catcher data that says grandal is a bad defender too.

Supposedly a great framer but his SB%( which can be mis-leading ) is not as good as McCann. We will see where the market goes this off-season. The Mets offered him 4-60 and he turned it down. As Poppy notes it is a year later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Supposedly a great framer but his SB%( which can be mis-leading ) is not as good as McCann. We will see where the market goes this off-season. The Mets offered him 4-60 and he turned it down. As Poppy notes it is a year later. 

Framing is still a pretty conflicted statistic for a multitude of reasons. Mainly because its reliant on someone else doing their job poorly and because umpires do talk and grade themselves and some bias against a good framer can be created. 

Regardless, there are "things" that show grandal being a very poor defender (I believe the Dodgers felt this way, ftr). Catcher metrics are difficult to gauge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe debut day 8 months from tonight. Probably a Thursday night game vs Rangers. Day 22 of the 2020 season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 4:53 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one is signing a 31 year old catcher for 5 years 80 million.

Theres a lot of conflicting catcher data that says grandal is a bad defender too.

Exactly. Just because Grandal made a mistake not taking a good offer doesn't mean he will or should get more a year later,He is someone to watch but he doesn't deserve a whole lot of money or years thrown his way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Framing is still a pretty conflicted statistic for a multitude of reasons. Mainly because its reliant on someone else doing their job poorly and because umpires do talk and grade themselves and some bias against a good framer can be created. 

Regardless, there are "things" that show grandal being a very poor defender (I believe the Dodgers felt this way, ftr). Catcher metrics are difficult to gauge.

I have been making arguments against framing for years but hey the stats people keep bringing it up as if its something that is very reliable. It's one of those things that people just use instead of truly thinking that there is a whole lot of people involved in who gets strikes called. Sure there are catchers that do a better job framing than others but it's still dependent on the pitcher and the ump . It's might be useful for example when a catcher sets up low and outside and a pitcher throws it low and outside but a pitch that is missing its intended target by a wide margin but still in the strike zone is not a pitch that can be framed well and any strike called is purely up to the umpire. We saw last night the HP ump wasnt calling pitches up and to the umpires left for either pitcher. That ump appeared to be setting up more to the right so those pitches probably just seemed too far away from him to be called strikes but many of them were strikes if the square strike zone on our TV's is to be believed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am conflicted on Grandal. Love his bat. Love adding a star catcher with Vet experience...but Collins really needs a fair shot. If his recent raking is the final adjustment he needed to make, him/McCann make a great pairing, we get another lefty presence in the lineup and Abreu/Collins/Vaughn all can jump between 1B/DH for the next 2-3 seasons. Vaughn is the one that makes me think Grandal is not needed, as his bat will work it's way up by next Fall IMO. They should commit to 1-2 star quality pitchers and stay home grown for all these position players. Keeps the window longer and allows a couple early signs for Moncada/Robert as an option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one is signing a 31 year old catcher for 5 years 80 million.

Theres a lot of conflicting catcher data that says grandal is a bad defender too.

I never understood the analytics on him. He catches pitchers well, but he's not a good defender based solely on watching ~200 dodgers games while he was in LA. Plays in front of the plate, bunts, etc... he's slow to get to the ball. Also, he is one of the slowest baserunners in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I never understood the analytics on him. He catches pitchers well, but he's not a good defender based solely on watching ~200 dodgers games while he was in LA. Plays in front of the plate, bunts, etc... he's slow to get to the ball. Also, he is one of the slowest baserunners in the game. 

I can't say I've seen dodgers data personally obviously, but I can say the Dodgers considered him to be a bad (not even average) defensive catcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly. Just because Grandal made a mistake not taking a good offer doesn't mean he will or should get more a year later,He is someone to watch but he doesn't deserve a whole lot of money or years thrown his way.

Yes. Grandal is a year older so 4/60 next year would be like having signed 5/75 last year which he probably would have taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Yes. Grandal is a year older so 4/60 next year would be like having signed 5/75 last year which he probably would have taken.

If you think he gets 4 /60 or more i think you will be wrong but we will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you think he gets 4 /60 or more i think you will be wrong but we will see.

I bet he gets close to 3/$60M with no draft compensation attached now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I bet he gets close to 3/$60M with no draft compensation attached now.

I’d still do it.  3 years and still a low total of money.  Even if Collins is legit, you will be able to find at bats for all three guys (Grandal, McCann, Collins) at C, DH, and 1B.  

Do I expect the Sox to sign him?  No.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 5:56 PM, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Assuming both these guys live up to the hype, and they're in the 2020 lineup and beyond, where would would you like to see these guys in the batting order?

Personally, I would have Madrigal lead-off and Robert bat second. I like the idea of Madrigal getting on-base, using his speed, and having Robert batting right behind him to knock him in.

Garcia and Madrigal would be my table setters at #1 and #2.

Followed by

Moncada

Abreu

Eloy

Robert

 

If Robert is going to be that good, Eloy would have a monster year batting ahead of him.

I like the idea of JD Martinez as DH if he decides to opt out.

Man, what a line-up that would be.

And I"m keeping McCann.

I don't think Vaughn is that far behind either.

It could be a fun 2020 offensively.

 

Edited by GradMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×