Sign in to follow this  
KnightsOnMintSt

Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal

2 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Were I Bryant, the Cubs would have premium of $20MM or so to cover the year I wasted in the minors. But that's me.

He is barely a competent 3B and could end up in LF. Some times defense is the lingering good faith issue. I do not take sides though. Nice 3.2 WAR but not quite the run production they would like to see this year. Their offense has sputtered.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, BamaDoc said:

Exactly.  This is not an employer crushing an employee.  The employees had representation.  In an agreement both sides "exploit" the agreement to their advantage.  The players signed off to what now in retrospect is an advantage for the owners.  Teams that operate best within the rules of the system will have an advantage over those teams who don't.  I am not pro owner.  I am pro honoring your deal.  MLB has the advantage of guaranteed contracts.  Do any of these players give back the money when they do not perform to the level of their contract....of course not.  I would actually like a system where players are totally(or mainly) rewarded for performance.  All you would argue about is what portion of the pie goes to players and then let the players union figure out who gets what.  That would actually be the most fair.  The rookie who is great would be paid fairly.  Have a floor for a guy who gets hurt but should any player in a truly fair system be paid massively for not playing?  If you say it is because he has earned that by his past performance, in my system  he would have been paid then when he deserved it.  I get that there isn't a totally fair system for measuring defense, clubhouse, productive outs but with all the computers out there and the money we are talking about it could be done.  It sure as hell would eliminate a lack of effort as you wouldn't get paid. 

It will never happen, but interesting comp idea.  There are all sorts of large law, accounting, and consulting firms that manage to divvy up their profits every year among partners based on a variety of performance-based factors (e.g., billing, business generation, etc.).  There's really no reason MLB players couldn't collectively do the same.    

Edited by bighurt574

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-white-sox-luis-robert-004635095.html

"Luis had a tremendous year. Playing at three levels, and he didn't slow down. With every challenge we gave him, he seemed to perform even better," Getz said Tuesday. "There's some wow in the numbers, but you dive in a little bit deeper, there's some things he does still need to refine.

"He's such an aggressive athlete, which works in his favor, but when it comes to making decisions at the plate, he's going to have to refine that a bit. Because we know when you get up here that pitchers are going to attack you a little bit different and see if you'll chase pitches out of the zone or swing at pitches that you prefer not to.

"He's a young player who can square up a lot of different types of pitches and drive it a long way, so I certainly get the excitement when he walks to the box. But it's about putting together a professional at-bat, which we feel like he's getting closer to.”

Getz on Madrigal

"He's got elite batted-ball skills. We knew that going in. He's been able to continue to do that," Getz said about the 2018 first-round pick. "It's really about continuing and being consistent with the approach. There are times where pitchers are going to challenge you a certain way. You don't want to take the bait.

"He goes up there, because he can hit so many different types of pitches, sometimes he can get overly aggressive. He knows what his bread and butter is, and he needs to stick to that and be disciplined. He's starting to understand that himself. He's positioned himself pretty well to come up here and be successful right out of the gate."

With Robert, Madrigal and Kopech joining the big club next year...we will be competitive with average players filling our RF and DH positions.  2 WAR type of players improve us by leaps and bounds.  The big money should be spent on pitching both starters and relievers.  Pick 2 of Cole, Wheeler, Strasburg or Bumgarner.

wit

• Like 1