Sox and As game 3 rubber match

ScootsMcGoots

7 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

He is a good defensive CF nobody can seriously argue this.

Except when he makes frequent bad plays.  He has 3 errors in only 45 games and several other misplays that were not errors.  That's not horrible, but not good for a player whose ONLY contribution to the team (and what's keeping him in the majors) is his supposed elite defense.  In comparison, I believe Mike Trout had ONE error all last season.

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s just wasting at bats you could be giving to players to see what you have in them.  I think it goes back to their obsession with having another lefty in the lineup.

We can NL blame this all on Lillian.

If someone thinks Mazara is going to turn his career around with this staff...welcome back to 2013-2016 Sox baseball.

Then, you have guys that look like Gold Glovers for one season like Yolmer and Engel...but in subsequent years look like they’ve forgotten how to play, but we still have to hear over and over about defense because their offense is so pathetic/putrid. 

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Pretty much.   It doesn't matter how bad they play.  It's not like there's gonna be repercussions from it.

Nope, Hahn will just make excuses for Steverson and then make excuses for why certain players are in the lineup

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We can NL blame this all on Lillian.

If someone thinks Mazara is going to turn his career around with this staff...welcome back to 2013-2016 Sox baseball.

Then, you have guys that look like Gold Glovers for one season like Yolmer and Engel...but in subsequent years look like they’ve forgotten how to play, but we still have to hear over and over about defense because their offense is so pathetic/putrid. 

Mazara is a .750 OPS corner outfielder.  I don’t understand why the Sox think that would change, especially with their hitting coach and mentoring.  Plus, he only has two years left of control and his agent is Boras.

12 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No, you actually didn't say probably: "So a guy had a good season and got lucky in the process"

Nice way to not read the entire post, and only quote the part that fits your argument. Nice try though. 

I said that the player who wins the batting title probably had positive batted ball luck. But you didn't read that part. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Mazara is a .750 OPS corner outfielder.  I don’t understand why the Sox think that would change, especially with their hitting coach and mentoring.  Plus, he only has two years left of control and his agent is Boras.

Meanwhile, the Cubs add a guy like Castellanos and he suddenly looks like Hack Wilson.

At any rate, advanced metrics will tell you that Castellanos, Puig and Mazara are what they are...pretty much, and that Ozuna is the only one with real 5ish fWAR upside to his game.

Other than a pretty left handed swing, smacking Sox pitching around and his former prospect status/age...Mazara has very little going for him.  He’s a name, I guess, and not in his 30’s.   

(PS Heck, if you at Texas, Profar, Odor and Mazara all failed in becoming studs but at least they’ve been a .500 and above team, overachieving most of the season and now fading with Gallo out.  Adding Minor and Lynn were smart moves, too.)

(PS 2, Our old friend Hector Noesi has started two games for Miami, sporting an 8.18 after today’s outing.)

Edited by caulfield12

45 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He didn’t look so good there and it doesn’t really matter cuz his glove will never make up for his putrid bat.

This is so true. The only way you can carry a guy like Engel is if you have a potent lineup around him. That is something this team doesn't have.  I really can't stand watching him bat any more. He swings at some awful pitches other hitters wouldn't think of offering at. Another White Sox player who doesn't belong on a major league roster.

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

This is so true. The only way you can carry a guy like Engel is if you have a potent lineup around him. That is something this team doesn't have.  I really can't stand watching him bat any more. He swings at some awful pitches other hitters wouldn't think of offering at. Another White Sox player who doesn't belong on a major league roster.

It makes you appreciate how much better the Sox were when Brian Anderson in the lineup posed similar problems for the organization.

Engel and Cordell are just two more in a long line of Torii Hunter Lites.

Not to belabor the point but it’s a shame that we traded three players to Oakland for The Shark and Michael  Ynoa and have nothing to show for it and never did. Oakland has three ex-Sox in the roster including the pitcher who just shut us out. Just goes to show how fickle prospect evaluation can be 

One thing really made me wonder today. The Sox get the lead off man on in the 8th down 2. Engel is next, and he is staring down the 3rd base coach like he expects a bunt. I know as Stone likes to say , no one likes a bunt more tha Ricky, but even Ricky isn’t going to bunt there. Baseball IQ not high.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing really made me wonder today. The Sox get the lead off man on in the 8th down 2. Engel is next, and he is staring down the 3rd base coach like he expects a bunt. I know as Stone likes to say , no one likes a bunt more tha Ricky, but even Ricky isn’t going to bunt there. Baseball IQ not high.

He was probably trying to fake out the  defense 

2 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Not to belabor the point but it’s a shame that we traded three players to Oakland for The Shark and Michael  Ynoa and have nothing to show for it and never did. Oakland has three ex-Sox in the roster including the pitcher who just shut us out. Just goes to show how fickle prospect evaluation can be 

Guys like Shark and Vazquez show that WAR has its flaws. You wouldn’t want either pitching a game with the season on the line, yet they out WAR most you would.

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nice way to not read the entire post, and only quote the part that fits your argument. Nice try though. 

I said that the player who wins the batting title probably had positive batted ball luck. But you didn't read that part. 

Well maybe if you didn't edit each of your posts 3 times in the first 5 minutes, I would've noticed the word "probably" right away instead of when you edited it in.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably just didn’t feel confident swinging the bat...looking to get bailed out by having the bunt on.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

There needs to be a change of hitting coach AND significant lineup upgrades.

You seem to be the only one on this site that actually knows what you are talking about, this organization is garbage from top to bottom, we are stuck with them, they are a perfect example that just because your rich does not mean your smart.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The other thing that makes me curious, why does Skole get a better shot, all things considered than Collins?

Hahn explained on podcast that org wants Collins to incorporate changes to his swing mechanics in AAA.