Sox and As game 3 rubber match

ScootsMcGoots

Just now, fathom said:

Yeah I said this the other day but they can’t  just rely on Robert/Madrigal/Yoan fixing this.  This is truly awful watching so many of these guys suck.  Also, I really hope they aren’t counting on McCann being a starter next year.

Eloy is going to get better too, but they're not winning jack shit with only 3 or 4 power threats in the lineup. Most good lineups have 7+ hitters that can take you deep. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah I said this the other day but they can’t  just rely on Robert/Madrigal/Yoan fixing this.  This is truly awful watching so many of these guys suck.  Also, I really hope they aren’t counting on McCann being a starter next year.

I think not having McCann play 150 games would help. I think upgrading the catcher position starts by signing a competent back up that can be relied on for 65ish games. RF/DH/1B are more pressing needs.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

I think not having McCann play 150 games would help. I think upgrading the catcher position starts by signing a competent back up that can be relied on for 65ish games. RF/DH/1B are more pressing needs.

McCann is the backup. They need a starter. 

3 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

If players don't listen to the hitting coach.  They either need to be benched or get a new hitting coach it's really that simple I think. I'm tired of high strike outs and terrible at bats.  They always have a pathetic approach at the plate!!

There needs to be a change of hitting coach AND significant lineup upgrades.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Abreu is going to be back, so that’s one of the positions.  I have a feeling they trade for Mazara for RF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

McCann is the backup. They need a starter. 

Agreed.  McCann’s numbers are falling off.  You could attribute this to being tired with too much playing time but you could also attribute it to being regression.  I’d rather not take the chance that it’s regression and sign Grandal with McCann as his backup.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  McCann’s numbers are falling off.  You could attribute this to being tired with too much playing time but you could also attribute it to being regression.  I’d rather not take the chance that it’s regression and sign Grandal with McCann as his backup.

I'm with you. What do you do if Grandal stays in Milwaukee though? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Eh, if you look at catcher production league wide you can do just fine with a .720ish OPS catcher.Grandal would be a nice addition though.

True, but my fear is that this year is a fluke and he falls back to his Tigers offense next year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

True, but my fear is that this year is a fluke and he falls back to his Tigers offense next year.

My optimism on McCann isn‘t based entirely on the results of his first half, but on the fact that he made tangible adjustments in the batters box. He isn’t using his lower half anymore which I attribute to being played into the ground.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Abreu is going to be back, so that’s one of the positions.  I have a feeling they trade for Mazara for RF.

What would Mazara cost, realistically? He's a weird case. He's going to be 25 next year but only has 2 seasons of control. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, fathom said:

2-0 and Yolmer takes a weak swing and hits a lazy fly ball to LF

Getting mad about Yolmer is like getting mad at the weather. What’s the point, he is just a placeholder.

Kudos to him though for having an alarming K-rate for a guy with three homers this season.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

The fact that Skole was hitting 6th in Charlotte and has been batting cleanup at the big league level is just comical.

It’s just wasting at bats you could be giving to players to see what you have in them.  I think it goes back to their obsession with having another lefty in the lineup.

Is there a legitimate reason the Sox haven’t called up Yermin and Mendick yet?  Are they playing the control game with these two guys as well?  They aren’t getting any younger.

The only thing that makes sense is that they don't think they're even worth a look. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Getting mad about Yolmer is like getting mad at the weather. What’s the point, he is just a placeholder.

Kudos to him though for having an alarming K-rate for a guy with three homers this season.

It’s just symptomatic of the terrible approach everyone in this organization seems to have.  It’s the most antiquated approach offensively and it’s why they’re so bad every year now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s just wasting at bats you could be giving to players to see what you have in them.  I think it goes back to their obsession with having another lefty in the lineup.

As bad as Reed was, I would've rather it been him getting the AB than Skole. 

Just now, fathom said:

It’s just symptomatic of the terrible approach everyone in this organization seems to have.  It’s the most antiquated approach offensively and it’s why they’re so bad every year now.

The Sox preaching about opposite field hitting is really antiquated. Can’t remember the last time someone hit one out by pulling an inside fastball.