Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Anderson getting some national love

11 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

It would be really nice if he caught the ball when it was hit to him.

Can you please take your complaining to another thread that isn't trying to bring positivity to the board? 

He's not perfect, but he's a fine baseball player and a Grade A human. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

Can you please take your complaining to another thread that isn't trying to bring positivity to the board? 

Welcome to the new Soxtalk...

11 hours ago, Tony said:

I like it, but I think he needs to be careful sometimes with what he says if he wants to attract kids to the game. Calling baseball boring, like he did earlier in the year, probably isn't a good way to attract youngns to the game. 

9 hours ago, Quin said:

His defense has also been really good since he returned from injury so it just seems like a dumb attempt at trolling.

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I like it, but I think he needs to be careful sometimes with what he says if he wants to attract kids to the game. Calling baseball boring, like he did earlier in the year, probably isn't a good way to attract youngns to the game. 

I think his point is that it's boring right now, but he's attempting to make it more fun for them. And from that video, it seems like it's working already 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Quin said:

I like Tim Anderson and did from the day he came to the White Sox. He also may be a Grade A human as you say. My point is that I would like him to concentrate on being the player he can be and forget the hype. He has a world of talent, but I think he needs to concentrate more on routine plays. 

I was sitting in the left field bleachers one game when Anderson hit a homer to the seats to my left. I was duly impressed. But a real superstar excels at all parts of the game. In time, I hope Anderson can do that.

I hope that is positive enough for you.

• Thanks 1

I would consider him for captain maybe next year. He does have lapses but he is our guy. 

If this god forsaken team ever wins anything with him on it, he may easily take over Buehrle on my all time Sox list. 

• Like 1

Kind of perplexing that more urban athletes do not see the advantages of a baseball career. If Tim teamed up with JayZee or similar it could really make a difference. Of course JZ does hoops.

Abreu's kind of been our de facto face of the franchise after Konerko retired, and I think Anderson is taking that role on (the fact that Robert is probably going to be a better player notwithstanding).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

Abreu's kind of been our de facto face of the franchise after Konerko retired, and I think Anderson is taking that role on (the fact that Robert is probably going to be a better player notwithstanding).

Moncada and Giolito are already both better than Anderson and it’s still looking like he’ll be the face of this thing. He’s got an Everyman quality that I don’t think anyone else on the team will come close to. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Moncada and Giolito are already both better than Anderson and it’s still looking like he’ll be the face of this thing. He’s got an Everyman quality that I don’t think anyone else on the team will come close to. 

He's a charismatic guy. Really easy to like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Leadership isnt about skills - it's about respect and accountability. 

Anderson likely holds himself accountable for his mistakes, is not one to make excuses for his short comings, and uses his intensity, personality and swagger to challenge his teammates in ways that they don't realize until it's not there.

There are many kinds of leaders in the sports world, but none are more fun than the unapologetic ones who are brutally honest and loyal to their guys.

Tim Anderson knows what the perception of baseball is to many - theres a reason he was a basketball player first for years - but he has found a way to change the game for himself to make it fun and energetic to duplicate that sense of one on one competitiveness other sports may have.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, mqr said:

Eloy with that smile...and 450 foot bombs

On 8/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, pcq said:

Kind of perplexing that more urban athletes do not see the advantages of a baseball career. If Tim teamed up with JayZee or similar it could really make a difference. Of course JZ does hoops.

Chance is working with the sox, so that helps.

But the problem runs a lot deeper than urban athletes not seeing the advantages. Most of these kids are coming from impoverished backgrounds. To hoop, all you need to do is buy a ball, then head down the street to a court. Now you are practicing every day. Baseball? You need a bat($), glove($), cleats($), and to join a youth league ($$$). To practice, you need parents with free time to take you out, or you need to pay for cage time, etc. Playing and practicing baseball costs $$$.

Now, football also costs a decent amount of money to play. But athleticism shines through much more, so even if you couldn't afford to play from 6 years old, you can get by at the HS level on raw athleticism as you develop. This is much harder to do in baseball, so the lack of practice time hurts much more.

That is why TA7's work is so important, and so incredible. He isn't just serving as a role model, showing that there is a path to the MLB for kids like him. He is putting his money into programs to help make that possible. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gusguyman said:

But the problem runs a lot deeper than urban athletes not seeing the advantages. Most of these kids are coming from impoverished backgrounds. To hoop, all you need to do is buy a ball, then head down the street to a court. Now you are practicing every day. Baseball? You need a bat($), glove($), cleats($), and to join a youth league ($$$). To practice, you need parents with free time to take you out, or you need to pay for cage time, etc. Playing and practicing baseball costs $$$.

Now, football also costs a decent amount of money to play. But athleticism shines through much more, so even if you couldn't afford to play from 6 years old, you can get by at the HS level on raw athleticism as you develop. This is much harder to do in baseball, so the lack of practice time hurts much more.

That is why TA7's work is so important, and so incredible. He isn't just serving as a role model, showing that there is a path to the MLB for kids like him. He is putting his money into programs to help make that possible. 

I can understand that. The RBI program has been around for a while. Not sure if Chance is still helping but maybe Kanye would support the Sox. He was setting up an extra home here but wifey did not want to come. The football thing is just not a great venture, the players are pretty disposable and the risk is significant. TA is more involved than any Sox player I can recall.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, gusguyman said:

As is Curtis Granderson, who has made a huge commitment to his alma mater, UIC,  and the kids on the South Side.