8/13 Games

BamaDoc

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Their international program is a joke. The only thing that can save them is an international draft. 

I think this is too strong. I don't agree with their strategy but calling it a joke is wrong. Paddy signed Micker Adolfo, Fernando Tatis Jr and Luis Robert. They have multiple intriguing $300K signings recently. I wish they took bigger chances on 16-year-olds but they just don't. 

10 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

3 home runs.  0.675 percent

Nellie Fox didn't hit a lot of homers either. Give it up Harold. He's gonna be a star. The more you whine, the stupider you sound.

Edited by zisk
grammar
  • Love 2

Re: Sheets,

I am pleased that he has played his way into being a reasonable asset.

I'm still not that excited by him as a prospect to the point where I think he is a legitimate option as a starting 1b. It's really crazy to go look at even starting 1b and checking out their minor league stats. There will obviously be outliers, but they usually destroyed the ball, not just played slightly above average offensively.

Like Lucas Duda was in the 150/160 wRC+ zone before being called up.

Now, that said, there are players like Christian Walker who have become late in career pretty good offensive 1b and were up and down moving up. And Josh Bell's minor league iso's weren't that great, albeit he was younger but not that much younger by time he was in AA.

So anyway, I'm still in wait and see mode, but mainly just hope he's used as a trade asset for major league upgrades.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Years ago there was a light hitting IF in the Sox farm who hit only 14 Hrs in over 2,400 plate appearances. He went on to hit 20+ hrs each of the last 3 seasons.

Juan Uribe, likely not, did not have 2400 plate appearances before doing it

Edited by MnSoxFan

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Re: Sheets,

I am pleased that he has played his way into being a reasonable asset.

I'm still not that excited by him as a prospect to the point where I think he is a legitimate option as a starting 1b. It's really crazy to go look at even starting 1b and checking out their minor league stats. There will obviously be outliers, but they usually destroyed the ball, not just played slightly above average offensively.

Like Lucas Duda was in the 150/160 wRC+ zone before being called up.

Now, that said, there are players like Christian Walker who have become late in career pretty good offensive 1b and were up and down moving up. And Josh Bell's minor league iso's weren't that great, albeit he was younger but not that much younger by time he was in AA.

So anyway, I'm still in wait and see mode, but mainly just hope he's used as a trade asset for major league upgrades.

Sheets has a wRC+ of 145 since mid May and that’s playing half his games in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in all of the minors.  He’s arguably been one of the best hitters in the entire Southern League this year, at least since his adjustment period.

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Ty Cobb averaged 5 homers a year over 24 years. 

Pebbly Jack Glasscock only averaged 1.6 homers over 17 years.

You gonna tell me homers are all that matter! PSSH PSOSH

I read somewhere that only homers and strikeouts matter

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sheets has a wRC+ of 145 since mid May and that’s playing half his games in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in all of the minors.  He’s arguably been one of the best hitters in the entire Southern League this year, at least since his adjustment period.

Is wRC+ park adjusted in the minors? If not, that’s even more impressive.