8/13- Sox/Astros Doubleheader, 3:40

flavum

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I assume we'll see Covey or Ruiz added at the 26th man.  Those two, along with Vieira and Medeiros, are only pitchers on the 40 man and not on the active 25 man that are healthy.  

I could be wrong, but I thought if the doubleheader is the next day after the rainout, they don't use a 26th man because of the quick travel turnaround. At least it used to be that way. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Getting 1 of these 2 would be impressive. 

The Astros lost a Verlander start vs. Baltimore a couple of days ago. It was the biggest upset against a betting line in MLB in 15 years. 

Looking at the Sox line up, this would be a close 2nd. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Astros lost a Verlander start vs. Baltimore a couple of days ago. It was the biggest upset against a betting line in MLB in 15 years. 

Looking at the Sox line up, this would be a close 2nd. 

Probably can’t break the record as a home game...but that first one will be sparsely attended.

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

I could be wrong, but I thought if the doubleheader is the next day after the rainout, they don't use a 26th man because of the quick travel turnaround. At least it used to be that way. 

Probably no rule against it honestly. The game was PPD at like 4 yesterday. Plenty of time to get someone here. Probably more for the games that start delayed for hours only to get PPD.

Edited by soxfan2014

I'll go out on a limb here and say that we won't do as badly against Houston in this series as we did against Oakland (3 runs in 3 games, 2 of them shutouts).  Although it is possible.

Houston's pitching is so good that Greinke is the "worst" starting pitcher of the 3 that we are scheduled to face in this series (based on ERA).  And we don't even have to face Verlander.

37 minutes ago, flavum said:

Not sure of any fine print in the rule, to be honest.  Just thought MLB teams got a 26 man when dealing with a doubleheader.  

Anyone else read about the lack of analytics in the Sox minor leagues today, and how they’re trying to change it?  Good news for the future, but ridiculous it’s taken so long.  So many of the issues in this organization are self-imposed.

Today is “Young Alex” Fernandez’s 50th birthday. On the day Dylan Cease pitches, a note about Alex’s 1990- he was drafted in June and called up in August. Between college and pro ball, he threw 258 innings in his Age 20 season. Sure, he was bleh in 91 and 92, but he had a nice five year run 1993-97, won a ring with the Marlins and made 45 mil before his 30 birthday. 

4 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

I'll go out on a limb here and say that we won't do as badly against Houston in this series as we did against Oakland (3 runs in 3 games, 2 of them shutouts).  Although it is possible.

Houston's pitching is so good that Greinke is the "worst" starting pitcher of the 3 that we are scheduled to face in this series (based on ERA).  And we don't even have to face Verlander.

Sox will likely be more competitive. When the game starts and there is no energy it is hard to watch. They faced off with Houston ok on the road.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

I just saw the highlight of that home run...holy crap that was kilt.  George Springer showing how it can pay off being aggressive early in the count. :cool:

And that you don’t always have to put slappy hitters in that spot