8/13- Sox/Astros Doubleheader, 3:40

flavum

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maddux absolutely could amp it up to the mid 90's. The maddux was a low velocity guy commentary is nonsense.

Maddux could and did hit 94-95mph.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2016/8/11/12423936/greg-maddux-velocity-finesse-power-pitcher-no-hope-for-batters

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/how-greg-maddux-dominated-with-mid-80s-heat/

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maddux absolutely could amp it up to the mid 90's. The maddux was a low velocity guy commentary is nonsense.

Maddux could and did hit 94-95mph.

That's the biggest misconception about Greg Maddux. He was probably averaging 92-93 mph when he was winning Cy Young awards. That means he had to be touching mid 90s. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's the biggest misconception about Greg Maddux. He was probably averaging 92-93 mph when he was winning Cy Young awards. That means he had to be touching mid 90s. 

I’m just saying from watching Greinke in KC that he could throw 95-97 when he needed to earlier in his career...especially later in the game.  It’s what Verlander was doing in the middle of his Tigers’ career, conserving his stuff.

This article was arguing comparing Kyle Hendricks to Maddux wasn’t a valid one...

In some ways that statement is correct. Maddux never threw 95, and spent the last 6 or 7 years of his career with his fastball velocity slowly creeping from the high 80s to the mid 80s (only Moyer had a slower average.). But prior to his decline, Maddux threw a 92 mile per hour fastball. A 92 mile per hour fastball with fantastic movement and pinpoint control and command.

The four elements of a fastball are velocity, movement, control and command. On the 20-80 scouting scale, Maddux’s velocity through his prime was a 55-60, solidly above average, and the movement, command and control were all 70s to 80s.

So, first of all, comparing guys who throw 89-90 to in prime Maddux is inaccurate. There’s a big difference between 89 and 92.

Second, comparing a guy who has above average to good control in the minors to the pitcher with the greatest combination of pitch movement and control in the history of baseball is a disservice to the young pitcher.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're gonna be adding a lot more.

A lot more analysts?

Data gathering and database building require more hours and man power. Analysts don't really do either of those when you get into billion dollar companies.

I would guess a 4 man team could manage 99.9% of all analysis without being overworked and without being outgunned in the baseball world. Having 20 analysts all looking at similar information just makes it harder to move forward with any changes. Find 5 good ones, pay them a lot, and watch all the ideas those 5 find and can support. 

If you told me the Sox only had 2 modelers or data builders I'd say that's likely a problem.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah and Gammons is preaching complete nonsense. Maddux was throwing 90mph at the end of his long career. At no point in his prime was he struggling to hit 90. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah and Gammons is preaching complete nonsense. Maddux was throwing 90mph at the end of his long career. At no point in his prime was he struggling to hit 90. 

But his average fastball was 84.3 in 2008.   The second half of his career, he obviously wasn’t that 92 mph guy...or at least the time period that most board members can vaguely recall.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A lot more analysts?

Data gathering and database building require more hours and man power. Analysts don't really do either of those when you get into billion dollar companies.

I would guess a 4 man team could manage 99.9% of all analysis without being overworked and without being outgunned in the baseball world. Having 20 analysts all looking at similar information just makes it harder to move forward with any changes. Find 5 good ones, pay them a lot, and watch all the ideas those 5 find and can support. 

If you told me the Sox only had 2 modelers or data builders I'd say that's likely a problem.

yes

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But his average fastball was 84.3 in 2008.   The second half of his career, he obviously wasn’t that 92 mph guy...or at least the time period that most board members can vaguely recall.

The year before it was 87mph. He lost 3mph at his age 43 season. Maddux was living in the 92-93 range touching 95 in an era where everyone wasn't throwing 95. He had an above average are and elite movement.