8/13- Sox/Astros Doubleheader, 3:40

flavum

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/03/sox-blogger-call-with-dan-fabian/

The other problem is Fabian has been with the organization for 25+ years.

You need these young kids from NASA, quants/finance, Cal Tech, MIT, etc.

These jobs pay so much less compared to working the same job in the finance/business world.

There's only 60 jobs in the world at the level you'd like to get to (GM or Pres of Baseball Ops), and turnover is so high when you get there, what do you do after? 

16 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Can confirm they are hiring more analysts. I know somebody who interviewed recently. Hopefully it is the start of a new era for the White sox. Hopefully he can find a way to get me into the organization as well. 

It's not that one guy who posts here who sends emails to Jerry about wanting the GM job is it?

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

These jobs pay so much less compared to working the same job in the finance/business world.

There's only 60 jobs in the world at the level you'd like to get to (GM or Pres of Baseball Ops), and turnover is so high when you get there, what do you do after? 

Well yeah, it’s easier to be a Senator/Rep than to get that job.  The White Sox are the definition of comfort and stability.  

You have to really love the game, like Zaidi growing up in the Philippines or some of the stories around the “nerd team” with Luhnow as he left the Cards for the Astros, or this guy...who grew up in a cricket household:

Sig Mejdal (born December 31, 1965) is an American sabermetrics analyst for the Houston Astros and a former NASA engineer. He previously helped the St. Louis Cardinals make draft picks. Mejdal turned his personal interest in baseball into a career after being inspired by Moneyball in 2003.

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It's not what one guy who posts here who sends emails to Jerry about wanting the GM job is it?

Haha...he’s advertised his availability consistently, but not for analytics.  Parkman was more interested, if ai remember correctly.

Now the Sox getting screwed on strike calls with Cease against Marisnick...what new?

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You know how to make something like this work? Hire people like me with a BS from a tech school, and are on the autism spectrum. It's so hard for us to obtain and keep jobs. They could pay us going rates in the industry and we'd be more than happy to do it, especially if sports is a special interest for that person. I'm planning on going to the Careers in Baseball day this year and making my pitch. 

The pay isn't a huge issue, I love baseball and anything is better than what I have now, which is nothing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Haha...he’s advertised his availability consistently, but not for analytics.  Parkman was more interested, if ai remember correctly.

Ding ding ding. 

I'd love that job even if it paid 35K per year. I'd be more than happy and it would be a massive upgrade to my income. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

16 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Can confirm they are hiring more analysts. I know somebody who interviewed recently. Hopefully it is the start of a new era for the White sox. Hopefully he can find a way to get me into the organization as well. 

Is there a way to apply? I know some quant traders who'd be interested.

1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

Tough day, but solid work for Dylan considering the poor call and shoddy umping. Step in the right direction.

Control still needs a lot of work. 5 walks, 2 strikeouts should never happen given his stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Control still needs a lot of work. 5 walks, 2 strikeouts should never happen given his stuff.

The Astros don't strike out. Their pitching staff has the highest K% and their offense has the lowest K% in baseball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, fathom said:

He was fading to end last inning. Should have been done after that last out.

I thought he made some good pitches to Marisnick, but overall I totally agree with you. No need to push his innings limit in a lost season. Get him some quality innings, much needed growth and experience in preparation for next year. It absolutely makes no sense than Dylan is ever asked to pitch to 100 or more pitches in any game this year. I hated it previously when Ricky did it and still do hate it. He will have plenty of chances to go 100-110 pitches.

Just now, fathom said:

Ok Mr. Pessimism. LOL. One walk was intentional and you have to admit it was a tough strike zone today. I certainly think he is still a work in progress. There has not been a single game this year where he commanded all 3 of his main pitches. It seems either the fastball or curveball is "off". Still, almost nothing hit hard (other that 3 balls Id say) against a big boy lineup isn't bad work to build on.