8/13- Sox/Astros Doubleheader, 3:40

flavum

James Fegan was talking to one of the Sox lower prospects at Kanny. Destino I think it was. He said Sox analytics have really improved this year and now they are about as good as they had at South Carolina. 

Wtf?  

Edited by Baker

Just now, Baker said:

James Fegan was talking to one of the Sox lower prospects at Kanny. Medina I think it was. He said Sox analytics have really improved this year and now they are about as good as they had at South Carolina. 

Wtf?  

Yep Zangari said some scary things about how little they prepared them for pitchers.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep Zangari said some scary things about how little they prepared them for pitchers.

Which is ridiculous and also not surprising wuth Reinsdorf who hates analytics. Not sure if Getz, Hahn, Faber, etc were in his ear about it, but it was completely dangerous to decide on a rebuild and not have the proper equipment, data, etc to do it. Luckily this Mickey Mouse organization is starting to finally catch up (albeit slowly) with the other teams. 

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/South-Carolina-Gamecocks-baseball-Analytics-launch-angle--131079208/

This article basically argues they were getting too obsessed with analytics (homers/launch angle) and forgot how to play “old school baseball,” Hawk’s infamous TWTW tagline.

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Which is ridiculous and also not surprising wuth Reinsdorf who hates analytics. Not sure if Getz, Hahn, Faber, etc were in his ear about it, but it was completely dangerous to decide on a rebuild and not have the proper equipment, data, etc to do it. Luckily this Mickey Mouse organization is starting to finally catch up (albeit slowly) with the other teams. 

Yep it’s like there are reasons this team has been so incompetent at developing young hitters in their system in the past. The more info that comes up about behind the scenes, the more I want Jerry to sell the team.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep it’s like there are reasons this team has been so incompetent at developing young hitters in their system in the past. The more info that comes up about behind the scenes, the more I want Jerry to sell the team.

I think it was keeping  people who were bad at their job.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

There was a quote Stiever had in another athletic article that said up until he reached A+, he had hardly (if ever) seen any analytics and mostly credited his season by knowing what he should throw in certain counts and when. 

The Astros, not the Cubs are who I like to see the Sox pattern their organization after.

Sad that a charter member of MLB has to take a back seat to anyone. Teams should be aspiring to emulate us.

Gotta have the right ownership with the vision and financial where-with-all to get it done.

Astros would be the first place I would look for a president of baseball operations.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Astros with 848 k’s (#1) this year vs. 1195 for opponents (second to Red Sox)

White Sox with 1115 hitters (8th worst) striking out vs. only 922 for pitchers (27)

did you honestly expect the white Sox to compete with the Astros and red Sox this year?

Edited by ptatc

Just now, GradMc said:

Astros would be the first place I would look for a president of baseball operations.

A couple other teams already poached their FO staff last season, so you're getting guys who have only been at the higher levels for a year or so.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

did you honestly expect the white six to compete with the Astros and red Sox this year?

Considering the lack of power the Sox have, it’s embarrassing how much they strike out. It’s an organizational issue though, just like so many other things.

3 minutes ago, GradMc said:

The Astros, not the Cubs are who I like to see the Sox pattern their organization after.

Sad that a charter member of MLB has to take a back seat to anyone. Teams should be aspiring to emulate us.

Gotta have the right ownership with the vision and financial where-with-all to get it done.

at this point in the rebuild the Astros were losing 100 games each season. I bet you weren't saying this then.