8/13- Sox/Astros Doubleheader, 3:40

flavum

4 hours ago, Baker said:

James Fegan was talking to one of the Sox lower prospects at Kanny. Destino I think it was. He said Sox analytics have really improved this year and now they are about as good as they had at South Carolina. 

Wtf?  

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep Zangari said some scary things about how little they prepared them for pitchers.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Which is ridiculous and also not surprising wuth Reinsdorf who hates analytics. Not sure if Getz, Hahn, Faber, etc were in his ear about it, but it was completely dangerous to decide on a rebuild and not have the proper equipment, data, etc to do it. Luckily this Mickey Mouse organization is starting to finally catch up (albeit slowly) with the other teams. 

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep it’s like there are reasons this team has been so incompetent at developing young hitters in their system in the past. The more info that comes up about behind the scenes, the more I want Jerry to sell the team.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

There was a quote Stiever had in another athletic article that said up until he reached A+, he had hardly (if ever) seen any analytics and mostly credited his season by knowing what he should throw in certain counts and when. 

All these things are why I have been repeating myself about why the Sox cannot have sustained success. There just haven't been any resources put into developing young players.  This is on Reinsdorf.  Luhnow runs his club ruthlessly. If scouts, coaches etc cannot fall in line with teaching things the way they want them taught they are gone.  They have 75 high speed cameras throughout their systems. They not only take numbers and analyze them but tons of film to break down the farm and guide the youngsters. It doesn't work for everyone of course but at least they make a serious attempt to develop their players.

Sustained success for a club like the Sox means they have to develop their players. They are almost 4 years into the rebuild and here we are looking at them only now trying to implement things, but I can guarantee it won't be close to how the Astros do things. After all Reinsdorf got a World Championship the old fashioned way so why bother with a new way of doing things. Too many too cozy in their jobs. It's great working for Reinsdorf but not so good at producing much success let alone sustained success.

Like I said before. Where is our Max Muncy ? How many think if we had got our hands on him that he would be close to a 5 WAR player. The Dodgers took Walker Buehler with the 24th pick in the 1st round and turned him into an ace. All the Sox keep doing is picking up guys and releasing them . They catch and release. Rinse and repeat. Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Welcome to insanity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

at this point in the rebuild the Astros were losing 100 games each season. I bet you weren't saying this then.

Come on Ptatc you are better than this. We all know that they rebuilt so of course when they were losing 100 games no one was going to say that. The results speak for themselves now. Maybe the Sox can get a World Championship out of their rebuild but they are not making that easy. They same people are in charge now as when they were failing making bad draft picks, not developing talent, not recognizing talent, doing a terrible job at Free agency and making dumb trades. Can't say that about the Astros they backed up the truck, rebuild their entire system from the ground up and made a commitment to developing players. Who have they drafted that has succeeded and his still with the Sox . Anderson that's it. Who else is still to be determined and if all goes well with Vaughn and Madrigal and Cease and Kopech and Eloy and Lopez maybe they can pull it off. But there also has to be Free agents who come here and do well. So much depends on things going the right way.

I'm actually an optimist and even I can see the way the Sox operate is not conducive to any kind of long term success.

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All these things are why I have been repeating myself about why the Sox cannot have sustained success. There just haven't been any resources put into developing young players.  This is on Reinsdorf.  Luhnow runs his club ruthlessly. If scouts, coaches etc cannot fall in line with teaching things the way they want them taught they are gone.  They have 75 high speed cameras throughout their systems. They not only take numbers and analyze them but tons of film to break down the farm and guide the youngsters. It doesn't work for everyone of course but at least they make a serious attempt to develop their players.

Sustained success for a club like the Sox means they have to develop their players. They are almost 4 years into the rebuild and here we are looking at them only now trying to implement things, but I can guarantee it won't be close to how the Astros do things. After all Reinsdorf got a World Championship the old fashioned way so why bother with a new way of doing things. Too many too cozy in their jobs. It's great working for Reinsdorf but not so good at producing much success let alone sustained success.

Like I said before. Where is our Max Muncy ? How many think if we had got our hands on him that he would be close to a 5 WAR player. The Dodgers took Walker Buehler with the 24th pick in the 1st round and turned him into an ace. All the Sox keep doing is picking up guys and releasing them . They catch and release. Rinse and repeat. Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Welcome to insanity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Major_League_Baseball_draft

We should be thankful the Twins took Jay over Benintendi...lots of “what the heck happened to ——-?” between picks 8 and 24.

Fwiw, the Astros learned a ton from their mistakes with JD Martinez, Appel and Aiken.  If the White Sox have ever 100% learned their own lesson, I’m not sure what we have to show for it, Luis Robert, I guess.  But even then, they didn’t exploit that signing by bringing in another $20-30 million worth of players because it was enough to set a one-time precedent that they would blow away their ceiling.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

DFA him.

Yeah, great job Nova.  He pitched like crap for so much of the season, by the time he finally started pitching well it was too little too late and no team would trade for him.  Now he’s pitching great and teams would likely give up a decent prospect for him but it’s past the hard deadline.

So ultimately, Nova getting his numbers back to respectable now still does jack squat for the Sox for his $9 million dollar salary.  Any way you look at it, the acquisition was pointless with the Sox in another tank season.  Because you know Hahn had planned to flip Nova at the deadline.  Instead, we get nothing but the pleasure of watching Nova finish the season with us and get his entire $9 million paid out.  At this point, DFA’ing Nova wouldn’t matter.

Frustrating as hell.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Sir said:

Last five starts, Nova has 37 IP, with TWO earned runs on 20 hits and six BBs.

The thing that has baffled me about the White Sox is that when a new player arrives, he just stinks up the place.  Yes, Adam Dunn had faults, but I don't think anyone expected him to have a .159 season. Others have done it, too. They just don't slump, they are awful. It would be nice if Nova kept it up and stabilized this rotation. 

29 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The thing that has baffled me about the White Sox is that when a new player arrives, he just stinks up the place.  Yes, Adam Dunn had faults, but I don't think anyone expected him to have a .159 season. Others have done it, too. They just don't slump, they are awful. It would be nice if Nova kept it up and stabilized this rotation. 

Sure, but then they have to replace him again next season...when it’s really going to be important to stabilize the rotation.

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, great job Nova.  He pitched like crap for so much of the season, by the time he finally started pitching well it was too little too late and no team would trade for him.  Now he’s pitching great and teams would likely give up a decent prospect for him but it’s past the hard deadline.

So ultimately, Nova getting his numbers back to respectable now still does jack squat for the Sox for his $9 million dollar salary.  Any way you look at it, the acquisition was pointless with the Sox in another tank season.  Because you know Hahn had planned to flip Nova at the deadline.  Instead, we get nothing but the pleasure of watching Nova finish the season with us and get his entire $9 million paid out.  At this point, DFA’ing Nova wouldn’t matter.

Frustrating as hell.

You seem to struggle with the concept of an innings eater. Even with a 5+ ERA Nova was doing his job.

10 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You seem to struggle with the concept of an innings eater. Even with a 5+ ERA Nova was doing his job.

You seem to struggle with the concept that an innings eater on a one year contract in a losing season is pointless.  It would be like not trading Colome this season if he didn’t have an extra year of control.  Hahn acquired Nova to flip him for a prospect at the deadline.  Nova failed miserably because his first half sucked so bad.

Edited by Moan4Yoan