Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flavum

8/13- Sox/Astros Doubleheader, 3:40

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I get that this is a strict R-L-R thing but if Eloy Jimenez is batting 7th long-term then we might as well pack up and start over 

Yep, I was playing with the R-L-R just to have fun.  If Jimenez is batting 7th we are probably in trouble....or we have the greatest lineup ever :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

 

You already have come to that conclusion on Walker? Any reason? Was promoted to A+ (yea  I know still a ways away) and is showing a solid hit tool with very low strikeout rates. The power isn't there yet, but he's flashing some speed and playing CF. I think there is potential there. I do agree about Sheets. 

Because they should aim for higher at an offensive spot in RF.  He also has not looked good defensively in the games I’ve seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

Because they should aim for higher at an offensive spot in RF.  He also has not looked good defensively in the games I’ve seen.

Ok I wasn't sure how well he was playing in CF. I am guessing Robert is our CF of the future and yes if S.W. can only hit 12-15 homers a year using him on a corner probably won't work unless his average is really high and he steals. I know he's a former college guy, but he could still develop that power. I am not ready to cash the chips on him yet. I am more optimistic in him than Rutherford, though Rutherford seems to have picked it up in AA of late so maybe he also is in the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kwolf68 said:

Ok I wasn't sure how well he was playing in CF. I am guessing Robert is our CF of the future and yes if S.W. can only hit 12-15 homers a year using him on a corner probably won't work unless his average is really high and he steals. I know he's a former college guy, but he could still develop that power. I am not ready to cash the chips on him yet. I am more optimistic in him than Rutherford, though Rutherford seems to have picked it up in AA of late so maybe he also is in the mix.

Again, the aim needs to be higher than most of these guys if you want “parades”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

 

You already have come to that conclusion on Walker? Any reason? Was promoted to A+ (yea  I know still a ways away) and is showing a solid hit tool with very low strikeout rates. The power isn't there yet, but he's flashing some speed and playing CF. I think there is potential there. I do agree about Sheets. 

Walker seems to be showing a lot more doubles power lately.  I really do see him as a very possibility in the OF on the South Side in a couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

Again, the aim needs to be higher than most of these guys if you want “parades”

 

I hear what you are saying, but I think it's too early. Sounds like you think his ceiling is low. I want to see more before I come to that conclusion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Eloy can really destroy mediocre velocity. 

 

Mediocre is being nice. Grienke is close to being a junk baller at this point in his career, which makes him all the more impressive in my view. Dude just knows how to pitch, though Eloy is all over him today for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

 

Mediocre is being nice. Grienke is close to being a junk baller at this point in his career, which makes him all the more impressive in my view. Dude just knows how to pitch, though Eloy is all over him today for sure.

Grienke can field and bunt.  That curve was impressive to K Skole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kitekrazy said:

Grienke can field and bunt.  That curve was impressive to K Skole.

He's a superior fielder no doubt. The guy is just a great baseball player. No it's not "breath taking" to watch him pitch, but I grew up in the old school where it wasn't just about velo and strike outs. I am a big fan of him, because he shows there is more to pitching than just raw gas. Though gas is fun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dylan Cease "pitching to contact". Nothing hit hard since that 2nd homer. Solid effort so far from the kid. Really was worried how he'd handle this lineup. Gotta give him high marks today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

He's a superior fielder no doubt. The guy is just a great baseball player. No it's not "breath taking" to watch him pitch, but I grew up in the old school where it wasn't just about velo and strike outs. I am a big fan of him, because he shows there is more to pitching than just raw gas. Though gas is fun. 

Maddux at the end of his career, similar athletes and fielders.  Although Maddux never could amp it up into the mid 90’s in the first half of his career when he needed it.

Has come a long way from the kid in KC with social anxiety disorder who mused about his preference for mowing yards over baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

He's a superior fielder no doubt. The guy is just a great baseball player. No it's not "breath taking" to watch him pitch, but I grew up in the old school where it wasn't just about velo and strike outs. I am a big fan of him, because he shows there is more to pitching than just raw gas. Though gas is fun. 

I mean, he used to throw hard. Hes just so talented and good that's hes the rare breed where performance isn't tied to velocity. 

I would argue he is just as much of a must watch as he was when he was throwing 95 and 96.

Greinke also similar to Josh Hamilton in that he would have been a top pick as a SS as well as a pitcher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

Maddux at the end of his career, similar athletes and fielders.  Although Maddux never could amp it up into the mid 90’s in the first half of his career when he needed it.

Has come a long way from the kid in KC with social anxiety disorder who mused about his preference for mowing yards over baseball.

Good synopsis of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean, he used to throw hard. Hes just so talented and good that's hes the rare breed where performance isn't tied to velocity. 

I would argue he is just as much of a must watch as he was when he was throwing 95 and 96.

Greinke also similar to Josh Hamilton in that he would have been a top pick as a SS as well as a pitcher 

 

Oh you get no arguments from me. I love watching him work, its great to watch someone who has a clue on the mound. I was glad Houston made that trade as I want them to win it over NY, Boston, Cle, or Minny. I'd be fine with TB or Oakland winning the ALCS, but doubt either can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Maddux at the end of his career, similar athletes and fielders.  Although Maddux never could amp it up into the mid 90’s in the first half of his career when he needed it.

Has come a long way from the kid in KC with social anxiety disorder who mused about his preference for mowing yards over baseball.

Maddux absolutely could amp it up to the mid 90's. The maddux was a low velocity guy commentary is nonsense.

Maddux could and did hit 94-95mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×