Abreu “as valuable as anything” to Sox: Merkin

caulfield12

4 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

You really need to up your game around here if you even remotely thought this pic was either the appropriate and/or funny response to the poster’s well-described view on the importance of leadership.   This dopey pic didn’t make a shred of sense as a response to that.   

I agree. Vilehoopster made some valid points and didn't deserve to be mocked. This reminds me of the stuff at WSI.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wonder if a third year would motivate him to not play dogshit defense when playing 1st

Well, the cool thing is that with just two more years after this one, Jose will likely land in the White Sox top five all time for home runs and RBIs.  And deservedly after that, he’ll be considered a legend in this organization.  As in, number retired and the whole bit.  

Hopefully the prospect of that will motivate you to post nicer things about him.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wonder if a third year would motivate him to not play dogshit defense when playing 1st

Hey Ron ... just out of curiosity what years in his career were you satisfied and/or pleased with Jose's performance? Are you saying he's been a detriment to the team?  He's got 89 RBI for gosh sakes with five weeks to go.

p.s. I bet you were a Mike Squires fan. He could play defense with the best of 'em. Defense isn't everything. Eloy has struggled and so has Timmy as well. Love both of them tho. All-stars.

56 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I agree. Vilehoopster made some valid points and didn't deserve to be mocked. This reminds me of the stuff at WSI.

Agreed. It’s disappointing. And even more disappointing that the ron883s, Yoan4Moans, and Jack Parkmans are the ones who seem to weasel their way into every discussion and ruin it. If only “ban bets” were strictly enforced...

Edited by Sox72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

Agreed. It’s disappointing. And even more disappointing that the ron883s, Yoan4Moans, and Jack Parkmans are the ones who seem to weasel their way into every discussion and ruin it. If only “ban bets” were strictly enforced...

You'd think if somebody made a claim like this they would have some quality posts to their name. A quick look at your profile proved that theory very incorrect. 

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

You'd think if somebody made a claim like this they would have some quality posts to their name. A quick look at your profile proved that theory very incorrect. 

Take a closer look then because you’ve missed several terrific posts by that poster, all of which are superior to the continuous and nonsensical garbage posts about Abreu you continue on with here.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Leadership can’t be quantified by advanced metrics, and therefore it is deemed fuzzy and unimportant.

I'm in a leadership position at my job, and I "play" a team game so to speak.

Baseball is an individual team sport.  Jose Abreu isn't willing Tim Anderson to draw a walk or willing Yoan to play better defense.  

31 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Baseball is an individual team sport.  Jose Abreu isn't willing Tim Anderson to draw a walk or willing Yoan to play better defense.  

But you would agree in basketball, hockey or football that leadership is important?  

16 hours ago, Sox72 said:

Get off your soap box.  Here’s what I said about Abreu, IN THIS VERY THREAD:

15 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This opens up a can of worms so to speak. So do individual coaches matter? You think Abreu doesn't talk details with some of the younger players? Or Shields when he was here talk to the younger pitchers? ... Or some of the older guys talk about positioning and baserunning? I would think if leadership does not matter at all either does individual coaching. It's an individual sport, so Coop and Steverson don't help either, right? And Ricky?

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This opens up a can of worms so to speak. So do individual coaches matter? You think Abreu doesn't talk details with some of the younger players? Or Shields when he was here talk to the younger pitchers? ... Or some of the older guys talk about positioning and baserunning? I would think if leadership does not matter at all either does individual coaching. It's an individual sport, so Coop and Steverson don't help either, right? And Ricky?

Coaches aren't the same thing as a player "Leader".  I don't even know why you would try to make that comparison. 

Sure leadership is important.   But leadership is organic...you don't force it.  If Abreu's time to leave has come, so be it...you don't keep him (or anyone) around for leadership.   Someone will take his place.

I hear 3rd parties (media, front office) say he's a great leader, but the players?

17 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sure leadership is important.   But leadership is organic...you don't force it.  If Abreu's time to leave has come, so be it...you don't keep him (or anyone) around for leadership.   Someone will take his place.

I hear 3rd parties (media, front office) say he's a great leader, but the players?

Ultimately, I’m pretty indifferent on bringing him back for a year or two.  But the second Vaughn is up, Abreu had better be moving to DH full-time.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

I don't know why his time appears to have come. He's going to hit 100 RBIs very soon unless he goes into the tank during another meaningless month of baseball. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I don't know why his time appears to have come. He's going to hit 100 RBIs very soon unless he goes into the tank during another meaningless month of baseball. 

Unfortunately he went into a funk in a meaningful month of baseball this year. His numbers aren’t great. Yeah they’re better than whoever they’ll probably call up. But this is a team with numerous organizational minor leaguers not only on the 25 but starting every day. It’s hard to imagine they are this thin at this point.  Winning is not happening next year

Edited by GreenSox

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Unfortunately he went into a funk in a meaningful month of baseball this year. His numbers aren’t great. Yeah they’re better than whoever they’ll probably call up. But this is a team with numerous organizational minor leaguers not only on the 25 but starting every day. It’s hard to imagine they are this thin at this point.  Winning is not happening next year

Geez GreenSox, numbers aren't great and he's going to hit 30 HRs and knock in about 100 to 110. And as far as the funk in a meaningful month? Please ... we had no meaningful months. This team was never going to contend. The roster overall blows.

Just now, greg775 said:

Geez GreenSox, numbers aren't great and he's going to hit 30 HRs and knock in about 100 to 110. And as far as the funk in a meaningful month? Please ... we had no meaningful months. This team was never going to contend. The roster overall blows.

RBIs don't matter anymore. It is a relic stat from the past. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ron883 said:

RBIs don't matter anymore. It is a relic stat from the past. 

Then why would a player be assured Hall of Fame if he knocked in 100 RBI or more in say 7-10 seasons? You advanced stat people can never convince me RBIs mean nothing. Look at the players who knock in 100. They are pretty fricking good players. Just cause you guys say it doesn't matter doesn't mean La Russa will agree with you. ... I'm assuming to the stat people only WAR matters at all. It should pretty much be the only thing looked at regarding Hall of Fame admission.

I wonder if the baseball arbitration judges only look at WAR. ... Tell me ron, do you know more than Steve Stone? Are you a better baseball mind than Stone? Try telling him RBIs mean NOTHING. Get back to me on how that goes.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Then why would a player be assured Hall of Fame if he knocked in 100 RBI or more in say 7-10 seasons? You advanced stat people can never convince me RBIs mean nothing. Look at the players who knock in 100. They are pretty fricking good players. Just cause you guys say it doesn't matter doesn't mean La Russa will agree with you. ... I'm assuming to the stat people only WAR matters at all. It should pretty much be the only thing looked at regarding Hall of Fame admission.

I wonder if the baseball arbitration judges only look at WAR. ... Tell me ron, do you know more than Steve Stone? Are you a better baseball mind than Stone? Try telling him RBIs mean NOTHING. Get back to me on how that goes.

I would say I do. I grew up with computers at my disposal during the baseball statistic revolution. Old time baseball guys are slower to adapt to modern baseball statistics. I probably have better knowledge of it than Stoney. While I don't know the inner workings of a clubhouse or how life on a major league club is, I think I know more than him, all things considered

Greg, if you can get me in contact with Stone Pony, I'll tell him RBIs don't matter to his face. 

Edited by ron883