Random Sox Trivia

Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yup. Wynn in '59, Hoyt in '83 and McDowell in '93 are the answers. Next, 

2 White Sox hitters other than Frank Thomas have won AL MVP. Who did it, and in what year did they win AL MVP? 

Fox 59, Allen 72

I won’t play anymore. Ha.

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yankees, Braves, Indians, cardinals. 

3/4. Cardinals are incorrect. Right division though. The Cardinals were a mediocre to bad team for most of the 90s, and that ended up dragging them down below the Sox. 

EDIT: You're actually right. I thought it was the Astros but the Cardinals were just mediocre enough to pull ahead of them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yup. Wynn in '59, Hoyt in '83 and McDowell in '93 are the answers.

He didn't win a Cy Young, since the award didn't start until 1956, but he definitely was the best pitcher in the MLB in 1908.  Ed Walsh had the best record ever by a Sox pitcher.  He was 40-15 with an ERA of 1.42.  In fact, he holds the MLB record for best career ERA of 1.82.

12 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

He didn't win a Cy Young, since the award didn't start until 1956, but he definitely was the best pitcher in the MLB in 1908.  Ed Walsh had the best record ever by a Sox pitcher.  He was 40-15 with an ERA of 1.42.  In fact, he holds the MLB record for best career ERA of 1.82.

Dead ball era. Also dead ball E.R.A.

August 20, 1965: Interesting musical date in Sox-related history. The White Sox traveled to KC and shut down the A's 3-1 behind the masterful pitching of Gary Peters. The only run allowed was a solo shot off the bat of Ken Harrelson, but Gary drove in a run himself to make up for it. Back in Chicago, The Beatles were hosting a day-night DH at Comiskey Park. Before a mostly female wildly screaming combined throng of over 50,000 fans, the Fab Four played a matinee and evening set of their hits of the day. Not surprisingly, they gave up touring the following August having tired of the utter madness and not being able to hear themselves play.

There was not a more popular, awe-inspiring band in our lifetimes. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I come across things pretty frequently that make me say "hmmm, how did I not know that?"

Today's trivia is...

Who was the last White Sox player to hit 40 Home runs in a season.

Dont cheat.

One of my pet peeves as a Sox fan growing up in the '60's was what the White Sox record was for home runs in a season at the time:  a puny 29!!   I thought for sure that in 1963 that would be broken by 3B Pete Ward.  He started the year by hitting 8 in the first 23 games.  He ended the year with only 22. 

The record was finally broken by another 3B, Bill Melton who hit 33 in 1970.