Don Cooper’s Eventual Replacement

Chicago White Sox

Don Cooper’s Eventual Replacement?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will eventually replace Don Cooper?

• Curt Hasler, Assistant Pitching Coach
    • Kirk Champion, Minor League Pitching Coordinator
    • Steve McCatty, AAA Pitching Coach
    • Richard Dotson, AA Pitching Coach
    • Matt Zaleski, High A Pitching Coach
    • External Candidate
  2. 2. Who would you like to replace Don Cooper?

• Curt Hasler, Assistant Pitching Coach
    • Kirk Champion, Minor League Pitching Coordinator
    • Steve McCatty, AAA Pitching Coach
    • Richard Dotson, AA Pitching Coach
    • Matt Zaleski, High A Pitching Coach
    • External Candidate

While I think he’s a bit of a long-shot, I really hope Zaleski eventually gets the job.  He seems like the one guy in the organization leveraging Trackman data and actually proactively working with guys to make changes to their arsenal.  Lambert & Stiever are just two examples of guys who have made major strides under him.  I think him landing the job would be a sign of a slowly modernizing front office.  That being said, I worry that Curt Hasler will just be handed the job.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I think he’s a bit of a long-shot, I really hope Zaleski eventually gets the job.  He seems like the one guy in the organization leveraging Trackman data and actually proactively working with guys to make changes to their arsenal.  Lambert & Stiever are just two examples of guys who have made major strides under him.  I think him landing the job would be a sign of a slowly modernizing front office.  That being said, I worry that Curt Hasler will just be handed the job.

Internally, Zaleski. Externally, someone from the Astros. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s said this?  If so, do you have a link to the quote?

No link. He said it at Soxfest a couple of years ago. Remember when he missed games with illiness? They were talking about how Coop can't go on forever, and when he goes, the new guy is already here.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Based on what? Coop is a lifer. 

Based on what I’ve heard from someone that knows him in Nashville.  Obviously that’s speculation on their behalf, but I just can’t see Cooper enduring a full season grind at the age of 67.  He already seems to be slowing down IMO.

6 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

He’s a good story! I don’t know much about his capability to be a great pitching coach. Is there some background that suggests he’s the guy?

There is a story on the athletic from last year, where Giolito talks about how much Farquhar helped him. He's the reason Giolito ditched his sinker for the high 4 seamer. 

7 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

He’s a good story! I don’t know much about his capability to be a great pitching coach. Is there some background that suggests he’s the guy?

I believe he’s very analytical and heavy into Trackman data.  We definitely need a more modern thinking pitching coach when Cooper calls it quits IMO.