The Bill Walton Game: Sox vs what's your name again

Heads22

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is an awful point.  It wasn't more enjoyable than Hawk and Stone, it was a one time novelty.  If that happened for 162 game season people would want to murder Walton by game 3

It’s really one of the worst takes I’ve seen in Soxtalk history and dude should change his handle to “Cheese&Whine” because that’s all he does.

• Like 4

Hate or Love Walton, he definitely got the job done. The Sox broadcast was all over social media last night and still this morning. Personally I thought it was fun, 1 weekend of this is definitely the limit though as I can see Walton becoming exhausting very quickly.

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Like 4

I didn't watch this game, but the Walton stuff sounds like it was fun. I doubt that it will work over the long run, but sometimes it is really good not to take things so seriously. Bill Veeck had his failures but sometimes he did things that were just fun.  The White Sox did something right here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Honestly reading Walton's quotes from the game makes me think I guess you had to be there.  I didn't see the game and many here seemed to enjoy it so great.  In a lost season, getting any kind of positive national reaction is a good thing.  I'm guessing that 1 game with Walton is more than enough even for those who enjoyed it.

And about the game...it didn't take long for McCann to hit his 2nd grand slam :gosox1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is an awful point.  It wasn't more enjoyable than Hawk and Stone, it was a one time novelty.  If that happened for 162 game season people would want to murder Walton by game 3

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s really one of the worst takes I’ve seen in Soxtalk history and dude should change his handle to “Cheese&Whine” because that’s all he does.

I’m specifically talking about the embarrassing amount of dead air during a usual Sox broadcast.  It’s bad.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but a one game publicity stunt involving a delusional, self-absorbed, burned-out hippy doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Yes, it does.  If an old burnt out hippy can keep up a conversation for an entire game, Stone needs to up his game.  He has far too many periods of silence with Benetti.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m specifically talking about the embarrassing amount of dead air during a usual Sox broadcast.  It’s bad.

That's not what the first half of your quote says at all, you only use the dead air to reinforce your point.

But whatever.  back to basketball, Bill

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's not what the first half of your quote says at all, you only use the dead air to reinforce your point.

But whatever.  back to basketball, Bill

My point was accurate and you can’t seem to refute it.  Stone and Benetti at least serve as sleeping pills for me and many others.  I was actually engaged in last night’s game and listened until the very end.  That is my point.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, it does.  If an old burnt out hippy can keep up a conversation for an entire game, Stone needs to up his game.  He has far too many periods of silence with Benetti.

Rambling and saying a bunch of non-sense is considered "keeping up a conversation"?

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Lol...Stone could fill an entire broadcast with self-absorbed nonsense too if he wanted to, but that would be completely unenjoyable and you’d obviously be complaining.

14 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

My point was accurate and you can’t seem to refute it.  Stone and Benetti at least serve as sleeping pills for me and many others.  I was actually engaged in last night’s game and listened until the very end.  That is my point.

You are comparing a publicity stunt with an actual baseball broadcast, how can you not tell the difference?

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t imagine anyone being critical of Stone when the other option during the year Is having to listen to Farmer.  Last night was fun, the Sox won and it pissed off Julie DiCaro. Perfect night

Why is she pissed off?  Man, she is terrible.

47 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Refute what?  I didn't even address that, and yes I actually feel that some silence is infinitely better than fucking nonsense and jumping out of his seat every time a fly ball clears the infield.

garbage

This was my first time listening to a Bill Walton broadcast. To be honest, I found him annoying. A little publicity doesn’t hurt though, so I’m glad they did it. 

Also, comparing him to Stone and the whole “dead-air” argument (which isn’t even applicable to television as long as there’s still a visual of the broadcast) is ridiculous.

• Love 1