Uh...Eloy?

Flash

Okay...I'll toss some red meat to the pro-Eloy section.....is he a major liability in the OF? do we believe his defense is likely to improve w/experience? And...here comes the red meat..would you entertain trading him to someone like Seattle for, oh say Jarred Kelenic (LH OF prospect) and Logan Gilbert (strong RHP prospect)? Heresy, but if Eloy is DH only, maybe we should leverage his value before the luster wears off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Remember when you wanted to trade Moncada for a 55 FV prospect but weren’t sure that was doable.  Maybe you should give Eloy some more time before jumping ship.  He was arguably a top three offensive prospect coming into this season, that will still work even if he has to move to DH at some point.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Remember when you wanted to trade Moncada for a 55 FV prospect but weren’t sure that was doable.  Maybe you should give Eloy some more time before jumping ship.  He was arguably a top three offensive prospect coming into this season, that will still work even if he has to move to DH at some point.

I remember tossing out a hypothetical Moncada for Gavin Lux trade when Moncada couldn't hit his weight and was a strikeout machine. BTW, Lux is now the LAD #1 prospect. Anyway, you mischaracterize my post. I'm not jumping ship as much as attempting to ignite discussion. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flash said:

I remember tossing out a hypothetical Moncada for Gavin Lux trade when Moncada couldn't hit his weight and was a strikeout machine. BTW, Lux is now the LAD #1 prospect. Anyway, you mischaracterize my post. I'm not jumping ship as much as attempting to ignite discussion. 

And now Moncada is one of the top 10-15 position players in the game and easily within the 20 most valuable assets in the game. So yah, as CWS said, some patience with young players is needed.

The Sox need Eloy in LF most days. He’s improved as the season has gone on, but obviously is still below average. I think he can become an average defender if he puts in the work. The Sox just need Eloy to hit like he can. The power is obviously there, but the hit tool just hasn’t been as strong as I expected. I suspect we’ll see major improvements in 2020, and it’d be nice if he could avoid injuring himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

And now Moncada is one of the top 10-15 position players in the game and easily within the 20 most valuable assets in the game. So yah, as CWS said, some patience with young players is needed.

The Sox need Eloy in LF most days. He’s improved as the season has gone on, but obviously is still below average. I think he can become an average defender if he puts in the work. The Sox just need Eloy to hit like he can. The power is obviously there, but the hit tool just hasn’t been as strong as I expected. I suspect we’ll see major improvements in 2020, and it’d be nice if he could avoid injuring himself.

Why do the Sox “need” Eloy in left field defensively most days?  Your sentences right after this comment actually show why he shouldn’t be in the outfield.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy he is taller, faster and has more reach than Kyle Schwhaber who is a liability at any position. 

Anyone who dismisses Eloy's potential given his age  and lack of major league experience must have some other agenda.

Schwarber is a better defender than Eloy in LF and has a much better arm.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

These are direct quotes from you:

Wish I could be more optimistic but I see these trends continuing, which is why its a bit disappointing we were relatively quiet at deadline. Pirates have an abundance of middle infeilders in high minors. Anderson and Moncada can't be the answers.

Curious what trade value Moncada might have. How would opposing GMs view his value? Could he bring back a 55 FV SS or 3B prospect?

How did I mischaracterize your post?  You made it very clear that Moncada couldn’t be “the answer” (and neither could Timmy) and legit asked if he could bring back a 55 FV prospect.  You jumped to conclusions way too early then and I feel you are doing the same here with Eloy.  The kid is 22 years old in his first major league season...let’s all give him some time before we officially panic and declare him a DH.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why do the Sox “need” Eloy in left field defensively most days?  Your sentences right after this comment actually show why he shouldn’t be in the outfield.

Because right now we have no other OFs (one once Robert is ready) and his value would be greater being a slightly below average LF than being a DH.  What I don’t get is your desire to forgo that possibility and immediately settle with him at DH.  What does that accomplish?  This “he will get injured” narrative is ridiculous.  He’s been an OF his entire professional baseball career and I don’t recall any of his minor league injuries being related to doing dumb shit in the OF.  People are overreacting to a couple stupid / dangerous plays.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because right now we have no other OFs (one once Robert is ready) and his value would be greater being a slightly below average LF than being a DH.  What I don’t get is your desire to forgo that possibility and immediately settle with him at DH.  What does that accomplish?  This “he will get injured” narrative is ridiculous.  He’s been an OF his entire professional baseball career and I don’t recall any of his minor league injuries being related to doing dumb shit in the OF.  People are overreacting to a couple stupid / dangerous plays.

This=gospel.   Close thread. 

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because he is 22 and shouldn’t be a DH. It’s much easier and less expensive to find good bats at DH and 1B than corner OF. That is why they need him in the OF most days. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

These are direct quotes from you:

How did I mischaracterize your post?  You made it very clear that Moncada couldn’t be “the answer” (and neither could Timmy) and legit asked if he could bring back a 55 FV prospect.  You jumped to conclusions way too early then and I feel you are doing the same here with Eloy.  The kid is 22 years old in his first major league season...let’s all give him some time before we officially panic and declare him a DH.

Since you like to search and repost others to support your perceived high ground, why don't you pull up the posts about you leaving this board? Something about moving to Nashville because you were so distraught. Obviously that didn't happen.

• Haha 2
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Since you like to search and repost others to support your perceived high ground, why don't you pull up the posts about you leaving this board? Something about moving to Nashville because you were so distraught. Obviously that didn't happen.

Lol I'm pretty sure he did move...he can still access this site from Nashville. Lol

• Love 4

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Lol...my perceived high ground?  I’ve made plenty of dumb claims on this site, but I do try avoid speaking with absolute certainty and I definitely try learning from my mistakes.  Don’t catch feelings because I’m saying history may be repeating itself here.

And yes, I did in fact move to Nashville, but never planned on leaving this board (maybe my initial post on the subject misstated my intentions).  Being away from Chicago makes this board an even bigger necessity in my life.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...my perceived high ground?  I’ve made plenty of dumb claims on this site, but I do try avoid speaking with absolute certainty and I definitely try learning from my mistakes.  Don’t catch feelings because I’m saying history may be repeating itself here.

And yes, I did in fact move to Nashville, but never planned on leaving this board (maybe my initial post on the subject misstated my intentions).  Being away from Chicago makes this board an even bigger necessity in my life.

Yep....feel the same since moving to Atlanta. Gotta admit Nashville has a lot to offer although housing market is crazy.

Just now, Flash said:

Yep....feel the same since moving to Atlanta. Gotta admit Nashville has a lot to offer although housing market is crazy.

House market was definitely crazy and we had to jump fast.  So far I’ve enjoyed my time, but missing out on Sox games in the summer is real tough.  Hopefully winters away from Chicago will help make up for that.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

House market was definitely crazy and we had to jump fast.  So far I’ve enjoyed my time, but missing out on Sox games in the summer is real tough.  Hopefully winters away from Chicago will help make up for that.

Much milder climate to say the least. I've found its a surprisingly easy drive to Chgo., even from Atlanta.