Machado do-over

Flash

59 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He also sucked offensively last year.  Why does everyone assume his defensive position reflects his offense?

He's more valuable at 2B because he has a 900 OPS, aren't many of those around. Then you fill 3B with another guy with 850-900 OPS and your infield mashes.  Madrigal could never dream of that.

3rd base grades out as a slightly more valuable position so his production their would hold more value.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Machado is great at 3rd, and single season defensive metrics are volatile, but by FG's defensive value, Yoan has been better than Manny this year.

Moncada has been great at 3b. Even @greg775’s old eye test will tell you that. Why people are still wanting (theoretically) to move Moncada back to 2b or OF is beyond me.

39 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Moncada has been great at 3b. Even @greg775’s old eye test will tell you that. Why people are still wanting (theoretically) to move Moncada back to 2b or OF is beyond me.

Because regardless of what position is theoretically more "valuable", there would be ONE player in all of baseball with a higher OPS than Yo at 2b, Jose Altuve.  Roster construction wise I'd love to have the pinnacle of 2b on our team and sign a slugging 3b.  

Nick Madrigal does not slug, as good as he might be one day.  Look at how, why, and what teams are winning with now.  

I'm just saying it opens up a ton of options, Rendon makes sense, Moose makes sense, a trade for a Brian Anderson makes sense.  Madrigal is a top prospect, you could headline a ton of deals with him and adding in Stiever or Dunning as secondary pieces.  We still have needs that probably won't be filled in FA since this class is not that great outside of a couple players.

14 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Because regardless of what position is theoretically more "valuable", there would be ONE player in all of baseball with a higher OPS than Yo at 2b, Jose Altuve.  Roster construction wise I'd love to have the pinnacle of 2b on our team and sign a slugging 3b.  

Nick Madrigal does not slug, as good as he might be one day.  Look at how, why, and what teams are winning with now.  

Would he still be the pinnacle of our team if his defense was substandard at 2b? He was awful there last year and has been rock solid at 3b. Maybe he would have taken a big leap at 2b as well but we don’t know that. What we do know is that he’s been great at 3b and is likely a better all around 3b than Machado moving forward. Nick Madrigal doesn’t need to “slug” if he’s getting on base at a 350+ clip with terrific defense and baserunning.

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm just saying it opens up a ton of options, Rendon makes sense, Moose makes sense, a trade for a Brian Anderson makes sense.  Madrigal is a top prospect, you could headline a ton of deals with him and adding in Stiever or Dunning as secondary pieces.  We still have needs that probably won't be filled in FA since this class is not that great outside of a couple players.

I’m not sure why you’re so focused on improving 2b/3b. Quite frankly, that’s the least of this team’s concerns and the infield overall is its biggest strength. Address the pitching, RF, and DH and then we can talk about 2b/3b.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He really has been great. I'm still a bit puzzled how the team can blow so badly with some sensational individual players. Moncada has a glove, folks. I like him better at 3B than 2B.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

He really has been great. I'm still a bit puzzled how the team can blow so badly with some sensational individual players. Moncada has a glove, folks. I like him better at 3B than 2B.

Tim, Yoan, Gio, and maybe Bummer are the only ones that could be classified as sensational

To the people who are happy the Sox didn’t sign Machado and/or Harper last offseason — which young free agent can the Sox now sign to fill their massive hole in RF that would be as big of an addition as one of those two 26 year old free agents last season would have been?

Who is your big bat this offseason for RF that will make us happy we didn’t sign one of Harpchado last offseason?

I can hear the crickets already.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

To the people who are happy the Sox didn’t sign Machado and/or Harper last offseason — which young free agent can the Sox now sign to fill their massive hole in RF that would be as big of an addition as one of those two 26 year old free agents last season would have been?

Who is your big bat this offseason for RF that will make us happy we didn’t sign one of Harpchado last offseason?

There is nobody available but Harper's not worth it. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There is nobody available but Harper's not worth it. 

His .870 OPS, the added fans, promotions, and money would have surely been worth it.  Harper is a draw.  The Phillies attendance jumped from 17th overall in the MLB last year to 10th overall this year.  Not bad for a team that is currently 78-73.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

His .870 OPS, the added fans, promotions, and money would have surely been worth it.  Harper is a draw.  The Phillies attendance jumped from 17th overall in the MLB last year to 10th overall this year.  Not bad for a team that is currently 78-73.

While I still wish we landed Harper, you’re using one year of results and attendance impacts as proof that he’d be a slam dunk addition.  My guess is five or so years from now that deal will be an albatross.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Gerrit Cole. 

I said bat but I’d take Cole on the pitching side.  I guess I should have added the qualifier “Who WILL the Sox sign”, not who CAN they sign because I don’t see that one happening either.  I think the Sox were willing to give a massive contract to a position player like Harpchado but not to a pitcher like Cole due to the added injury risk.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I still wish we landed Harper, you’re using one year of results and attendance impacts as proof that he’d be a slam dunk addition.  My guess is five or so years from now that deal will be an albatross.

$25 million per year won’t be that much of an albatross five or so years down the road.  And even if it is, how much of the extra attendance Harper brings will have paid off his entire contract by then?  I guess we don’t know the numbers but I’m sure any other big name available for the Sox to sign this time around, such as Cole, would not provide anywhere near as much of this same benefit.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than Cole and Rendon, there's NOBODY.

And neither are going to be on the Sox radar, for well-discussed reasons.

One could argue the Sox not going after Rendon due to Moncada at 3B and Madrigal at 2B but not going after Cole would purely be due to his price because the Sox obviously need rotation help.

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Mookie Betts aligns with the Sox anticipated contention window much better than Harper or Machado ever did.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wish we had Harper as well, but we don't so let's just move on. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We have a good shot at having plus hitters at 3rd, SS, 2nd, 1st, LF and CF. We don't need all stars at every position to win. RF is a hole, but not an insurmountable hole. I don't think this team will struggle to score runs in this environment. 

I'd expect Madrigal at best to do something like 280/320/380.  Frankly I'd expect his season to look a lot like Yolmer's this year.  Maybe with better more consistent defense and a few more points on the triple slash.  In his prime Madrigal should be an excellent starter but as a rookie I think he's going to be about 1.5 WAR.

Sox should be looking to bring in stud hitters at DH/RF.  We've talked endlessly about the options.  Just get it done.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd expect Madrigal at best to do something like 280/320/380.  Frankly I'd expect his season to look a lot like Yolmer's this year.  Maybe with better more consistent defense and a few more points on the triple slash.  In his prime Madrigal should be an excellent starter but as a rookie I think he's going to be about 1.5 WAR.

Sox should be looking to bring in stud hitters at DH/RF.  We've talked endlessly about the options.  Just get it done.

They should always be looking to improve, but when you have a generational talent like Robert in CF, you can still win with a relatively light hitting RF.