Machado do-over

Flash

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Pretty sure Rodon will pitch for us just enough to prove himself healthy and packaged off.  His agent is just difficult to make a deal with... especially with his health history.  Let some other sucker deal with the Boras crap.

I honestly don't care if they launch him for nothing this season. He's never going to reestablish his trade value anyway. Just move on and gain an extra 40 man spot. Sign Wheeler or Bumgarner to take his spot. Still go after Strasburg too. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly don't care if they launch him for nothing this season. He's never going to reestablish his trade value anyway. Just move on and gain an extra 40 man spot. Sign Wheeler or Bumgarner to take his spot. Still go after Strasburg too. 

Eh, you are probably right but he is under control through 2021.  If it was only 2020, I would agree with your for sure.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Eh, you are probably right but he is under control through 2021.  If it was only 2020, I would agree with your for sure.

He's not coming back until August of 2020. That's not enough time to get anything for him.  He has just enough time to re-establish himself and then hit FA. Launch him. Let someone else deal with the headache. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Needed game 162 and a big weekend to get there (considering he was at 2.6 fWAR on Friday) but Manny finally made it to 3.0 fWAR. Best of luck to the Padres and AJ Preller moving forward with two underperforming players in Machado and Hosmer.

You can add Myers to that list, too.  His contract jumps up to $22.5M a year for the years 2020-2022.  At least the Padres have a $1M buyout in 2023....

image.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/myerswi01.shtml

51 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Needed game 162 and a big weekend to get there (considering he was at 2.6 fWAR on Friday) but Manny finally made it to 3.0 fWAR. Best of luck to the Padres and AJ Preller moving forward with two underperforming players in Machado and Hosmer.

Just because he underperformed this year does not mean he’ll underperform going forward.  You are totally jumping the gun here.

2 hours ago, smalls2598 said:

You can add Myers to that list, too.  His contract jumps up to $22.5M a year for the years 2020-2022.  At least the Padres have a $1M buyout in 2023....

image.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/myerswi01.shtml

Ouch, missed that one. Looks like their major FA additions are done for a few years.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

And he was still a 3 WAR. 

I’d expect more than that from a guy that just accepted a $300M contract. Hell, I expect more than that from whoever the Sox sign as their top pitching acquisition this winter and it sure as hell will be at a cost well south of $300M.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d expect more than that from a guy that just accepted a $300M contract. Hell, I expect more than that from whoever the Sox sign as their top pitching acquisition this winter and it sure as hell will be at a cost well south of $300M.

This will come as a shock, but his body language and effort was awful in the games I saw him playing during September

Let me just ask this to the Machado apologists, at what point will you admit the Sox dodged a major bullet by missing on him? If his 2020 and 2021 seasons are comparable to his 2019 season will that be the turning point?

Just curious because if the Sox had given him the same contract as the Padres, and he just had the season he had, Hahn and Kenny would be getting roasted right now.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

This will come as a shock, but his body language and effort was awful in the games I saw him playing during September

Dodged a bullet there sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.  Although with the "Latin whisperer" as manager maybe he wouldn't have had the effort issues in Chicago.

@JUSTgottaBELIEVE put me down, as I just did.  Sox got lucky but I'll take it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Let me just ask this to the Machado apologists, at what point will you admit the Sox dodged a major bullet by missing on him? If his 2020 and 2021 seasons are comparable to his 2019 season will that be the turning point?

Just curious because if the Sox had given him the same contract as the Padres, and he just had the season he had, Hahn and Kenny would be getting roasted right now.

When the Sox are poised to actually win, and he doesn't play well, I will say they dodged a bullet. Having him put up a 3 WAR this year instead of a 6 or 7 would have made half this board say it was a good tank season for him, considering how everyone loves losses. We will see what happens moving forward. He was awful at home this year. Maybe he would have been awful at GRF as well. We will never know. 

It will be interesting to see how and if the new lighting next season affects the offense for the Sox. 

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I'll admit it if he doesn't opt out after 5 years.

If he plays well enough to opt out in five, the cost would have neither prevented them from signing additional free agents nor extending their emerging core.

30 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He still put up 3 WAR in a down year.  So, he underplayed about 3 million dollars out of the 30 he earned this year.  I wouldn't call that dodging a bullet when the Sox are one of the worst HR hitting teams in baseball and have defensive issues.  

12 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He still put up 3 WAR in a down year.  So, he underplayed about 3 million dollars out of the 30 he earned this year.  I wouldn't call that dodging a bullet when the Sox are one of the worst HR hitting teams in baseball and have defensive issues.  

I also think if they had signed him or Harper, fan interest would have rapidly picked up. They would have sold more tickets, and more parking spaces, and more beer, and more churros. It might have been short lived, but it would have happened. 

• Like 1