Does Leury Garcia deserve a ‘20 starting spot?

caulfield12

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&team=0

Or do you go after a free agent/trade candidate for RF, with Robert eventually settling in CF?

Considering some on the above list aren’t even CFers, like Kepler, this puts him in the Top 8-10 at one of the most important positions on the field.

Other than Ozuna, who might be expected to be “considerably” (2.5+ fWAR) better for that spot?   

Would you still prefer someone like Corey Dickerson, with Leury as the designated “supersub” with Yolmer likely off the team?

Trade him at peak value?

7 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I didn’t realize a guy who scores 100+ runs, hits 30+ doubles, steals 20+ bases, and plays solid defense, cant be considered worthy of starting player status.   

You have Luis Robert coming up to play CF.  Why would you not acquire a power hitting RF to improve on Leury’s .711 OPS?  Are you okay with a .711 OPS in RF?  This is a no-brainer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If it's starting at 2B for a few weeks until Madrigal gets called up, sure I'd be ok with it. As a starting OF, that would speak to the failure to acquire a RF in the off-season, which I wouldn't be ok with. 

This is what I am on board with.  Or Leury playing CF with Mendick at 2B until Robert and Madrigal are up.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

Leury is ideally your 10th man who can play all over the field and serve as a great depth piece in the event of injury.  He should begin the 2020 season as the starter in CF or 2B until Robert & Madrigal are called up, but then should move to the bench full time playing roughly three times a week and filling in as late defensive replace for Eloy.  I do love that his flexibility allows you to go a little more specialized with your other bench pieces, prioritizing guys with strong platoon splits that otherwise might be hard to roster with a small bench.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They should trade him to Baltimore or Miami in the off season. He's really good for a rebuilding team but not a guy I want on a team trying to win.  He makes way to many what the hell is he thinking plays to be a reliable guy off the bench.     

He has one year of control left and therefore makes no sense for a rebuilding team.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That makes him perfect for a rebuilding team.  He can play while the better players are still in the minors.

Rebuilding teams don’t want to trade for players with one year of control.  They will sign free agents on one year deals looking to flip them at the deadline which will hopefully give them some additional young talent but also free up roster spots to call up their own prospects.  But they don’t want to trade assets for players who have one year of control before free agency.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's Leury Garcia.  They're not trading an "asset" to acquire him.  The White sox are a rebuilding team and they traded for Ivan Nova and Yonder Alonso who both had one year of control.

Leury Garcia would cost an asset.  They aren’t giving him away.

Both those trades were salary dumps.  Leury is cheap and a pretty good player and would cost a team an asset.

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's Leury Garcia.  They're not trading an "asset" to acquire him.  The White sox are a rebuilding team and they traded for Ivan Nova and Yonder Alonso who both had one year of control.

Then why the fuck would we trade him?  You’re all over the place man...

28 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They should trade him to Baltimore or Miami in the off season. He's really good for a rebuilding team but not a guy I want on a team trying to win.  He makes way to many what the hell is he thinking plays to be a reliable guy off the bench.     

Have you located the perfect player yet ? Everybody's favorite catcher Grandal got picked off yesterday with a very short 3 step lead because he took a short nap on the bases. He also isn't great at defense .He's a very streaky hitter. McCann has twice as much bWAR as Grandal this year. Grandal has much better power and is LH and those both fill needs but I hope no one is looking to ditch McCann in favor of Grandal. As much of a good catching tandem they would be I'm not sure Grandal is a fit unless Abreu is gone and Grandal and Collins spend time at 1st base. I have no idea if that even upgrades the 1st base defense.

Leury is good at what he does but shouldn't be a full time starter. Very nice depth piece though.

The Sox line-up in 2020 with Leury Garcia looks very balanced  between speed and power.

Leury followed by Tim Anderson has been working out lately.  I like LG as a lead-off hitter. He takes a lot of pitches and is not that easy to strike out.

Plenty of speed and arm strength. He gets better if you leave him in one position.   He is not a big home run banger but you need a few guys who can get on base , steal, run the bases, and not strike out 200 times as they swing for the fences.   There is  plenty of power in a line-up with TA, Moncada, Abreu, McCann, Eloy and a DH. 

Leury Garcia  RF

Tim Anderson   SS

Luis Robert  CF

Jose Abreu    1B

Eloy Jiminez     LF

Yoan Moncada    3B

James McCann    C

Madrigal or Yolmer   2B

DH   ?

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Reading is a skill man.....

Lol...well I apologize then, you’re not all over the place, this is simply a terrible take.  If you’d rather not have Leury on your bench because of “dumb plays” and would prefer to just give him away for nothing then you are simply a 🍖.