Does Leury Garcia deserve a ‘20 starting spot?

caulfield12

The answer to the question might have something to do with what kind of a line-up you want. If you want to play the HR/juiced baseball game that Minnesota has been playing this season, then forget Leury and Madrigal as well.   Lead off with Yoan or TA.  Get a 2nd basemen that can hit 20 HR , a RF that can hit 25 HR, and a DH that can hit 25-30 HR.   Power up and down the line-up. Don't worry about traffic jams on the bases, Just swing for the fences.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

The elephant in the room is the Sox need a quality 4th outfielder next year due to the likelihood that Eloy or Robert get hurt. Both have a poor injury history, even though I’m beyond thrilled with Robert’s durability this year.

I still like Scooter Gennett on next years team in some capacity.  Starter or high quality depth

19 minutes ago, tray said:

The answer to the question might have something to do with what kind of a line-up you want. If you want to play the HR/juiced baseball game that Minnesota has been playing this season, then forget Leury and Madrigal as well.   Lead off with Yoan or TA.  Get a 2nd basemen that can hit 20 HR , a RF that can hit 25 HR, and a DH that can hit 25-30 HR.   Power up and down the line-up. Don't worry about traffic jams on the bases, Just swing for the fences.  

That's where the game is going.  Get a bunch of guys with hair on the bottom of their feet and slug it out.  

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

The elephant in the room is the Sox need a quality 4th outfielder next year due to the likelihood that Eloy or Robert get hurt. Both have a poor injury history, even though I’m beyond thrilled with Robert’s durability this year.

Which is exactly what Leury can be if we acquire a legit RF.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but we have to add one legit bat to the lineup this offseason, preferably left-handed.  To me, that’s just as important as adding more relievers.

Corey Dickerson or Scooter Gennett might be the best the Sox do in that regard. But you know I love Rendon so RF isn't as important to me.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero chance IMO.  Outside of pitching, I think RF is our #1 priority this offseason.

Honestly to me it depends if they let Robert start the season in CF or wait the 2 weeks. If it's the latter, then I can see them getting a RF in that instance. I can just see the "Leury is a quality regular and he improves our outfield defense along with Robert for us" spin. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d be all for Scooter Gennett on a pillow contract.

I'm just thinking it'll be very hard to expect the Sox to sign 4 or 5 quality FA's . I could pick 5 I want but to fit them into the proper positions and into payroll limits ,whatever they end up being,  probably is expecting too much especially if I start the list with Rendon and one of the top 3 starting pitchers and a few of them have to be LH .

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just thinking it'll be very hard to expect the Sox to sign 4 or 5 quality FA's . I could pick 5 I want but to fit them into the proper positions and into payroll limits ,whatever they end up being,  probably is expecting too much especially if I start the list with Rendon and one of the top 3 starting pitchers and a few of them have to be LH .

I think Rendon fits in to the same category as Grandal. With McCann's August so far,  unless he has a total collapse down the stretch, I think Hahn will not spend a huge amount on Grandal.   Rendon is a stud offensively, but Hahn will go w Moncada and Madrigal. Unless you foresee someone moving to right, I don't see big bucks going to Rendon.  I think Hahn will go for production from RF and will spend big bucks  or trade to get that player. Hopefully as CWS said, a LH bat. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tray said:

Engel is off the 2020 25 man roster or I am going to shoot myself.

How many guys should be off the 40 man?  Engel, Cordell, Palka, Castillo, Yolmer probably non-tendered, Abreu free agent, Jay free agent, Skole, Goins, Tilson.  It’s going to be a busy off season.