Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
caulfield12

Does Leury Garcia deserve a ‘20 starting spot?

Recommended Posts

The answer to the question might have something to do with what kind of a line-up you want. If you want to play the HR/juiced baseball game that Minnesota has been playing this season, then forget Leury and Madrigal as well.   Lead off with Yoan or TA.  Get a 2nd basemen that can hit 20 HR , a RF that can hit 25 HR, and a DH that can hit 25-30 HR.   Power up and down the line-up. Don't worry about traffic jams on the bases, Just swing for the fences.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The elephant in the room is the Sox need a quality 4th outfielder next year due to the likelihood that Eloy or Robert get hurt. Both have a poor injury history, even though I’m beyond thrilled with Robert’s durability this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

The elephant in the room is the Sox need a quality 4th outfielder next year due to the likelihood that Eloy or Robert get hurt. Both have a poor injury history, even though I’m beyond thrilled with Robert’s durability this year.

I still like Scooter Gennett on next years team in some capacity.  Starter or high quality depth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'm telling you guys... he's likely the RF next season. Sox will likely put a spin on it. 

You might be right but it would be a lot better spin than the Yonder Alonso/Jon Jay spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tray said:

The answer to the question might have something to do with what kind of a line-up you want. If you want to play the HR/juiced baseball game that Minnesota has been playing this season, then forget Leury and Madrigal as well.   Lead off with Yoan or TA.  Get a 2nd basemen that can hit 20 HR , a RF that can hit 25 HR, and a DH that can hit 25-30 HR.   Power up and down the line-up. Don't worry about traffic jams on the bases, Just swing for the fences.  

 

 

That's where the game is going.  Get a bunch of guys with hair on the bottom of their feet and slug it out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fathom said:

The elephant in the room is the Sox need a quality 4th outfielder next year due to the likelihood that Eloy or Robert get hurt. Both have a poor injury history, even though I’m beyond thrilled with Robert’s durability this year.

Which is exactly what Leury can be if we acquire a legit RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'm telling you guys... he's likely the RF next season. Sox will likely put a spin on it. 

Zero chance IMO.  Outside of pitching, I think RF is our #1 priority this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero chance IMO.  Outside of pitching, I think RF is our #1 priority this offseason.

Which makes it our 4th or 5th priority if we need 2 starting pitchers and another quality RP or 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Which makes it our 4th or 5th priority if we need 2 starting pitchers and another quality RP or 2

Sure, but we have to add one legit bat to the lineup this offseason, preferably left-handed.  To me, that’s just as important as adding more relievers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but we have to add one legit bat to the lineup this offseason, preferably left-handed.  To me, that’s just as important as adding more relievers.

Corey Dickerson or Scooter Gennett might be the best the Sox do in that regard. But you know I love Rendon so RF isn't as important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zero chance IMO.  Outside of pitching, I think RF is our #1 priority this offseason.

Honestly to me it depends if they let Robert start the season in CF or wait the 2 weeks. If it's the latter, then I can see them getting a RF in that instance. I can just see the "Leury is a quality regular and he improves our outfield defense along with Robert for us" spin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Corey Dickerson or Scooter Gennett might be the best the Sox do in that regard. But you know I love Rendon so RF isn't as important to me.

I’d be all for Scooter Gennett on a pillow contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

I didn’t realize a guy who scores 100+ runs, hits 30+ doubles, steals 20+ bases, and plays solid defense, cant be considered worthy of starting player status.   

The problem, of course, is every other stat that you didn’t mention. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d be all for Scooter Gennett on a pillow contract.

I'm just thinking it'll be very hard to expect the Sox to sign 4 or 5 quality FA's . I could pick 5 I want but to fit them into the proper positions and into payroll limits ,whatever they end up being,  probably is expecting too much especially if I start the list with Rendon and one of the top 3 starting pitchers and a few of them have to be LH .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just thinking it'll be very hard to expect the Sox to sign 4 or 5 quality FA's . I could pick 5 I want but to fit them into the proper positions and into payroll limits ,whatever they end up being,  probably is expecting too much especially if I start the list with Rendon and one of the top 3 starting pitchers and a few of them have to be LH .

I think Rendon fits in to the same category as Grandal. With McCann's August so far,  unless he has a total collapse down the stretch, I think Hahn will not spend a huge amount on Grandal.   Rendon is a stud offensively, but Hahn will go w Moncada and Madrigal. Unless you foresee someone moving to right, I don't see big bucks going to Rendon.  I think Hahn will go for production from RF and will spend big bucks  or trade to get that player. Hopefully as CWS said, a LH bat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, tray said:

Engel is off the 2020 25 man roster or I am going to shoot myself.

How many guys should be off the 40 man?  Engel, Cordell, Palka, Castillo, Yolmer probably non-tendered, Abreu free agent, Jay free agent, Skole, Goins, Tilson.  It’s going to be a busy off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Herrera builds off his last outing and can be the fourth reliable bullpen guy next year...would still feel better with one more veteran addition if they’re actually trying to compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like Leury as a starter in the sense that he starts any position on the field in case of injury or scheduled days off. I also absolutely would love him as our go to pinch hitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×