Ivan Nova open to re-signing with the Sox

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/white-sox-rumors-ivan-nova-return.html

if he’d be willing to take a 1 year deal at $6M or $7M, I say why not. Going to need at least 6 capable starting pitchers next year and the only locks at this time are Giolito, Lopez, and Cease.

and kopech.... that being said nova would be a fine #5 again.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Pass. He's been pitching well lately but his peripherals still suck. No more rebuilding. Let's bring in pitchers who can win.

He’s 8-9 for a team 13 games below .500 so technically he can win. As a #5/#6 type starter, he’d be fine imo since he’s thrown 160+ innings in each of the last 4 seasons and seems capable of posting an ERA below 5 (which has been difficult for many Sox pitchers in recent years).

Bringing Nova back is  doing the half ass crap we tend to rely on every off-season. 

Need to grab a front line starter, whatever it takes.  If I have to put this $5-6 million from Nova towards that pitcher, do it. 

I can figure out the #6 later, but give me a #1 (Cole or Bumgarner) 

Edited by HOFHurt35

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He’s 8-9 for a team 13 games below .500 so technically he can win. As a #5/#6 type starter, he’d be fine imo since he’s thrown 160+ innings in each of the last 4 seasons and seems capable of posting an ERA below 5 (which has been difficult for many Sox pitchers in recent years).

An ERA below 5 plays now right?  I feel like all of a sudden we’re back to needing guys like Sirotka & Parque in this new offensive era.  They just can’t be your best pitchers.  

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

An ERA below 5 plays now right?  I feel like all of a sudden we’re back to needing guys like Sirotka & Parque in this new offensive era.  They just can’t be your best pitchers.  

Yes, these days, a ~5.00 ERA and 6 IP/start would be a really solid #5 SP. Nova is at 4.51 with 6 IP/start

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

160+ innings with an ERA below 5 is definitely worth something in today’s game. And for those thinking it should be easy to plug anyone into the #5 spot (AAA filler, DFA candidates, or similar) and expect this type of production, well I guess they haven’t watched much White Sox baseball the last few years.

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Totally fine with Nova if he’s one of two pitchers brought in and the other is named Cole or Strasburg or Ryu or Wheeler. 

Of course we are all for bringing in Cole, but I just don't see how this team gets past these annual, typical hurdles that always prevent us from acquiring premium talent on the open market:

1. Boras is the agent
  2. The other major market big spenders will likely be involved in the bidding
  3. Reinsdorf is still the owner

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

Of course we are all for bringing in Cole, but I just don't see how this team gets past these annual, typical hurdles that always prevent us from acquiring premium talent on the open market:

1. Boras is the agent
  2. The other major market big spenders will likely be involved in the bidding
  3. Reinsdorf is still the owner

What do you think the Sox payroll will be next season? 

Nova's deal is not going to impact signing a better starter.  If they signed a top 5 free agent starter they would still need a guy like Nova.  Nova is a nice back end guy as he takes the ball every 5th day and gives you 6 innings.  There are too many Covey, Banuelos, Santiago, Deitweiler starts 

Especially if Kopech and Cease have inning limits.   

Even with resigning him they need another starter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Aim higher. There just is no upside to Ivan Nova. He's been incredibly mediocre and there is no reason to think he'll be better as a 33 year old in 2020. 

He reminds me of type of guy they bring back and then he gets DFA before June

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

Aim higher. There just is no upside to Ivan Nova. He's been incredibly mediocre and there is no reason to think he'll be better as a 33 year old in 2020. 

This team needs to fill out a rotation. You can't go out and sign 4 number 1's or 2's. Kopech is going to be on a inning limit if he comes back and really other then Gio what do you have?

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

This team needs to fill out a rotation. You can't go out and sign 4 number 1's or 2's. Kopech is going to be on a inning limit if he comes back and really other then Gio what do you have?

They really need to break camp with at least 5 capable starting pitchers, excluding Kopech and Rodon. If those guys make it back healthy and provide more than 100 innings next season consider it a bonus. So right now only 3 guys are really penciled in. I’d welcome bringing Nova back as a reliable #5 and then sign one of the premier FA starting pitchers. Ideally, then I’d also love to see them package Lopez and Steele Walker for someone like Joe Musgrove.

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What do you think the Sox payroll will be next season? 

Well, it's a fascinating question, to be honest.  

When you think of this team with only $14M in guaranteed salary on the books so far for next year, coupled with the fact that the MLB average payroll is a little over $136M - and again, that's just the average - there is obviously extraordinary room for growth.  

Under these conditions and under normal circumstances, our major market ball club should absolutely be in the mix for the likes of Cole and Strasburg.  But these conditions existed last offseason, and yet the team failed to land an available premium talent.  In fact, one of the reasons for that failure coming directly from Williams was they couldn't afford to pay either of Machado or Harper because of the need to pay the current core somewhere down the road in a few years.  Will that excuse be in effect again this time around if and when they fail to land a premium free agent?

So I don't know.  It's hard to predict what the payroll will be with this lot running the organization.  I do think there's a fairly strong possibility of the team acquiring expensive top tier talent through a trade where we offer the other team salary relief in return for the top talent.  I think that's more the White Sox way than competing in the open market.  That would catapult us up the ladder in terms of team payroll for next year, but will still likely fall fairly short of the league average.  

A lot of people have been saying they should add 2 SP: an upper-part of the rotation arm and then a back-end starter. That would let them ease Kopech back in the minors to open the year with going with a rotation of: 1. upper-rotation signing 2. Giolito 3. Cease 4. Lopez 5. back-end SP. Hopefully, you run into the problem of everyone pitching great (and healthy) for when Kopech is ready to come back up and you can bump the back-end SP signing to the bullpen. Maybe Nova can be that guy?

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

How ugly would it be on Soxtalk if we are in December of this year and the only person the Sox have signed is Ivan Nova?

After last offseason...being in December and having made no moves would be preferable to being in December and acquiring Alonsos and Jays.