Ivan Nova open to re-signing with the Sox

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I feel like you're stuck on the idea that a ~5.00 ERA or FIP is bad. In this age, getting that + innings eaten from a starter is actually really valuable when the average team scores 4.91 runs per game in the AL. 

I’m worried that his FIP turns into a 5.5 figure or worse next year.  The slightest bit of stuff deterioration and Nova is a pumpkin IMO.  A team in our position next year should be shooting for a more high variance guy that actually offers some upside.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m worried that his FIP turns into a 5.5 figure or worse next year.  The slightest bit of stuff deterioration and Nova is a pumpkin IMO.  A team in our position next year should be shooting for a more high variance guy that actually offers some upside.

There isn't one. 

Wacha, Wood  and Pomeranz Suck. They're closer to Covey/Banuelos than Nova is. They're more likely to completely flame out and get DFA than Nova is. I don't think that there is any upside left there. 

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Alex Wood has pitched 5 games this year after coming back from injury.  I'd like to see how he finishes before considering him done.  I'd much rather have him be a long man/spot start guy anyways since he has had injury problems.

Exactly. You could say the same for Wacha and Pomeranz. Outside of the season he had TJS, Nova has been pretty damn reliable. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He brings sorely needed depth to the 6th spot.  With the injuries in the upper minors pitching this year there's not any depth.  The Sox need to add two SP, preferably a 2nd and 3rd starter, or a 1st and a 4th, and then find a group of 6-7 guys they can rely on next year.  Nova should absolutely be considered in that group. 

He's 32 and makes 9 million a year. It's amazing to me how pitchers are looked at differently than hitters. Actually 32 is not considered real old for a pitcher right now, but it's ancient for a hitter. For instance, nobody would freak if we sign Nova 3 years 24 million or something like that for his total mediocrity (at best). Meanwhile, if a hitter is 32, by gosh he better be named Trout to earn any type of 3-5 year contract for 10 mill or more a year. People just go ballistic at the thought of paying good hitters significant money after 32; a pitcher however, even one named Nova? Most folks are OK with 3 years 20-30 mill. It's all cliche to me, misguided cliche.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

He's 32 and makes 9 million a year. It's amazing to me how pitchers are looked at differently than hitters. Actually 32 is not considered real old for a pitcher right now, but it's ancient for a hitter. For instance, nobody would freak if we sign Nova 3 years 24 million or something like that for his total mediocrity (at best). Meanwhile, if a hitter is 32, by gosh he better be named Trout to earn any type of 3-5 year contract for 10 mill or more a year. People just go ballistic at the thought of paying good hitters significant money after 32; a pitcher however, even one named Nova? Most folks are OK with 3 years 20-30 mill. It's all cliche to me, misguided cliche.

That's because most players aren't taking steroids anymore to prolong their careers.  There is a pretty clear trend that around 34-35 the numbers fall off a cliff.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's because most players aren't taking steroids anymore to prolong their careers.  There is a pretty clear trend that around 34-35 the numbers fall off a cliff.

What about pitchers? Why not angst about them signing 3-5 year deals at the age of 32?

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What about pitchers? Why not angst about them signing 3-5 year deals at the age of 32?

Because there isn't as clear of a fall off and if you are a really good pitcher you can still get batters out with less velocity.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

On 8/19/2019 at 8:17 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/white-sox-rumors-ivan-nova-return.html

if he’d be willing to take a 1 year deal at $6M or $7M, I say why not. Going to need at least 6 capable starting pitchers next year and the only locks at this time are Giolito, Lopez, and Cease.

I'd be willing to sign him back on a 1 year deal. 

Giolito, Lopez and Cease will be part of the rotation (barring injury). Kopech will be in the rotation as well assuming he's ready to roll which he should be.

They clearly need to add a veteran at the top of the rotation.

At the moment, there is not a clear spot for Nova in the rotation, but they are going to have to give a veteran spot starts to not risk the health. Even assuming health of the top 4 in the rotation next season, Nova can probably get 15 starts, that's basically 3 starts a month.