WSI

WBWSF

I posted here first and dipped my toe in the WSI waters in 2005. One of the admins was threatening to ban someone who was claiming the Sox were going to blow the division lead but only if the Sox won the division. I pointed out that was stupid, if the Sox won the division the poster should stay and get heckled. Why have a "I predicted the collapse" hanging around.

It was suggested I go post elsewhere. 🤣 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

So how many of you are WSI refugees? 

I posted over there years ago, but was banned; I think it was when KW stupidly said something to the effect that Ventura "could have been a general or admiral if he had been in the military," and as a veteran, I took offense to that.

But yeah, I don't feel bad for WSI, in all honesty. They got what they wanted, in my view.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2

I got banned for a week by that fat hump who played the peanut butter game with his beagle.  I was a long time member at that point without any history of problems.

I think the site's undoing was based in the pr they received during the world series run.  There were indications before that time with moderators but 2005 seemed like a catalyst for them to all become self important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was there from 2001 till 2016, approx 3K posts and then was banned for life for a controversial remark I made on a PM, I admit I had some culpability in the remark but didnt deserve a lifetime ban. After that I just said the hell with them, I think the real reason was I had a different viewpoint on a sensitive topic. I would still go there from time to time to see the posts from what ever few members were left. Proof once again if you have enough rope you can hang yourself.......

• Like 1

I never got banned there. I've been banned here. The only controversy I had there was with Daver, the guy who apparently was a catcher in high school, and according to him, that made him know more about baseball than any other human being.  He wanted to bet me about something, but then said I was a deadbeat and would never pay. Considering he has no idea who I am, that was a bit unnecessary, and I actually had a couple of posters and mods come to my defense. No bet was made, but if it was, good old Daver would have had to pay up.  

Are they really gone forever, or just hacked and need a clean up?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I never got banned there. I've been banned here. The only controversy I had there was with Daver, the guy who apparently was a catcher in high school, and according to him, that made him know more about baseball than any other human being.  He wanted to bet me about something, but then said I was a deadbeat and would never pay. Considering he has no idea who I am, that was a bit unnecessary, and I actually had a couple of posters and mods come to my defense. No bet was made, but if it was, good old Daver would have had to pay up.  

*suspended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I believe I wasn't approved at WSI because I have a yahoo email address and they did not approve yahoo email addresses 

because of course

I mean, I get it.

But on the flip side, Gmail wasn't around in WSI's heydey so this argument holds less water.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, I get it.

But on the flip side, Gmail wasn't around in WSI's heydey so this argument holds less water.

This was like 2004-2005 so fuck them.   Rocketmail and yahoo shouldn't have been an automatic disqualifier

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was on there last week out of curiosity and it did not look like that

Also that sounds conspicuously like whitesoxdave

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I was on there last week out of curiosity and it did not look like that

Also that sounds conspicuously like whitesoxdave

I'm like 99.99999999999999999% sure that daver and WSD are not the same guy

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I never got banned there. I've been banned here. The only controversy I had there was with Daver, the guy who apparently was a catcher in high school, and according to him, that made him know more about baseball than any other human being.  

But did he ever play in a Perfect Game tourrnament?

• Like 1

I thought George from Elmhurst orginally owned it but as the years went by it appeared Jim who lived in San Jose had taken it over but I had no proof of that. It did have some neat stuff on it regardless of the upper crust. There was a mod name Brian IIRC that I had some words with, maybe he was alright but seemed to be on an ego trip once he got appointed moderator.

Always loved Lips contributions. Either here or there

Edited by The Grinder
  • Like 1

I actually got banned from there in September in 2005. It was when they were in that slump and about to lose that huge lead and someone posted "Man I hate this team right now" and I responded with "I know the feeling." Mods said we were both trolls and banned forever.

• Like 2

I got banned for a week there cause I said something along the lines of how ridiculous it was that they limited signatures and avatars to basically nothing. Then I got this whole spiel about how much hosting costs and why I didn't appreciate just being able to post there, which makes the stealing bandwidth thing on their main page even more hilarious to me. Then I got permabanned for mentioning that I jailbreak iPhones in the tech thread a few months later. Because god forbid Apple come after them for even mentioning that...

I've never seen a mod/admin team so self-important with sticks up their ass. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

I was suspended for a while for going at it with a guy in DMs who told me I wasn't college material and should give up on wanting to be lawyer. I was 13. 

After years I came back and kind of applauded some of the moves Theo Epstein made at the end of the Cubs rebuild. I was greeted with a lot of hate for speaking positively about the Cubs. I said something like "good to see this place still has a pulse" and was banned forever.

My dad, who is entirely passive on the forums, was suspended sometime in 06-09 when Bobby Jenks was "missing." He said something to the effect of "I know Bobby has had substance issues in his past I really hope it's not related."

• Like 1

I got suspended during the first series in 06 because I said it was "inexcusable to lose to the effing Royals" they gave me a 2 week suspension for evading the swear filter. I never got suspended after that but I quit posting there as much. I thought that was beyond ludicrous. 

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I thought George from Elmhurst orginally owned it but as the years went by it appeared Jim who lived in San Jose had taken it over but I had no proof of that. It did have some neat stuff on it regardless of the upper crust. There was a mod name Brian IIRC that I had some words with, maybe he was alright but seemed to be on an ego trip once he got appointed moderator.

Always loved Lips contributions. Either here or there

The story as I know it is:

George Bova (AKA PalehoseGeorge) owns (owned?) the front page which was flyingsock.com. He's basically abandoned it and mostly posts on the FB page now.

FarWestChicago (never did learn his real name) and his wife Michelle own whitesoxintereactive.com and host the servers themselves. I read that this latest snafu is from him doing upgrades, but the message boards aren't gone.

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Like 1