WSI

WBWSF

24 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

The story as I know it is:

George Bova (AKA PalehoseGeorge) owns (owned?) the front page which was flyingsock.com. He's basically abandoned it and mostly posts on the FB page now.

FarWestChicago (never did learn his real name) and his wife Michelle own whitesoxintereactive.com and host the servers themselves. I read that this latest snafu is from him doing upgrades, but the message boards aren't gone.

Thanks for the verification, I believe u are correct Sir. I remember you from WSI, Farwest and Michelle were living in Ontario correct?

9 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Thanks for the verification, I believe u are correct Sir. I remember you from WSI, Farwest and Michelle were living in Ontario correct?

Yea, I was around back in the Rivals days and on the ESPN message boards and was a long-time member there when I got caught up in a mass banning for something that occurred on a completely different site. 

The last I knew they were living somewhere in Canada. Don't know the city for sure. Might be Ontario. Neither one of them have been on WSI for years. Which makes it rather surprising that they still bother to keep it up. They have like 12 moderators listed but maybe a quarter of them are still around.

Edited by Iwritecode

In it's heyday, it was actually a fun place to be. There were even a couple of softball games between the members of WSI and Soxtalk.

But then they started attracting the attention of major media outlets and suddenly they had to maintain the 'squeaky clean' image. No politics, no swearing, no bad-mouthing the franchise. Now they barely allow venting legitimate frustrations or concerns about the team or the coaches. Basically no fun allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I may be one of the few who (somehow) discovered Soxtalk first and never posted at WSI. #homegrown 

This is the first Sox forum I have posted on - I guess reddit as well a few times. 

Censorship destroys forums. I'm a big believer in, if it's not personal information or racist/bigoted/threatening, then it's fine. Over censoring pushes people away. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2019 at 5:08 PM, kitekrazy said:

You have been banned for the following reason:
Now you're happy - don't have to deal with us Mods anymore

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

That's what happens when I log in.  I don't even remember what I did. For all I know someone might have logged into my account.  There was no way to dispute it.  I think the site was too sensitive and people would be banned left and right.  Instead of banning they should have removed posts/threads and give warnings.   Eventually you run out of members.   I would not be surprised this is a retaliation from a member or former member.   Do I feel sorry for them? Not really.  They made their own bed. Lay in it. One of the former mods is now on this site and followed the same over-moderation at WSI. 

I remember signing up years ago. I said something unfavorable about Carlton Fisk and was immediately banned. Haven't been back since.

FarWestChicago banned me for some argument I had with him around 2005/2006.  I wish I could remember why but I do know that it was something very stupid.  Somehow I was able to message Daver (?) and he reinstated me.  I stopped reading the boards about a year ago.  It dwindled to like 10 people repeating themselves over and over.

I think I'm the only person to be banned there by request. I posted there and made a slight dig against White Sox management. I received a email from them saying I'm banned for 30 days. He started scolding me saying I can't say this and can't say that. He then threatened me and said if I ever post like that again I will be banned forever.  I then emailed him back and said I will never participate in WSI again, so go ahead and ban me forever. I ended my email by saying farewell. I thought that would be the end of it, it wasn't.  I went thru my sites a few weeks later and I noticed I wasn't banned by them. I then emailed  them again and told them to ban me forever which they finally did.

• Like 1