White Sox vs Twins

TheTruth05

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I do want to re-sign the guy, but only as a 6th starter or long reliever. If he prices himself out of that range I have no problem letting him walk. 

Yep and this is exactly what the pro Nova fans were saying. No one was saying rush and lock this guy up to an extension because he’s some sort of great pitcher. But at the right price, he’s a solid #5/#6 starter next year and that’s exactly what this team needs - starting pitching depth.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I do want to re-sign the guy, but only as a 6th starter or long reliever. If he prices himself out of that range I have no problem letting him walk. 

What makes you think he would want to be a long reliever?  How often do Sox bring back one of their veterans that had a solid year, only for them to implode the next year?  He reminds me of Miguel Gonzalez.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

What makes you think he would want to be a long reliever?  How often do Sox bring back one of their veterans that had a solid year, only for them to implode the next year?  He reminds me of Miguel Gonzalez.

Won’t the Sox be best served with 6 starting pitchers next year if Kopech is in the rotation (which I am assuming he will be at some point before Memorial Day)? Won’t Kopech and Cease both be on innings limits for the season?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I think if they skip Kopech every now and then it might work, and he can piggyback Kopech if he struggles with his command in a start every now and then, which is to be expected coming off TJS. 

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Won’t the Sox be best served with 6 starting pitchers next year if Kopech is in the rotation (which I am assuming he will be at some point before Memorial Day)? Won’t Kopech and Cease both be on innings limits for the season?

Agreed but I think they will aim higher.  Meanwhile, Jose!!!

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

We have a bunch of fans that fall in love with mediocrity

I just don’t get it, during this “hot streak” since the break he’s struck out a whopping 4.3 batters per nine with a very flukey HR rate leading to an xFIP over 5.00.  Given he’ll be 33 in January, we should explore every and all alternatives before even thinking of settling for him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep and this is exactly what the pro Nova fans were saying. No one was saying rush and lock this guy up to an extension because he’s some sort of great pitcher. But at the right price, he’s a solid #5/#6 starter next year and that’s exactly what this team needs - starting pitching depth.

He’s 33 years old and should theoretically be getting worse each and every year.  We definitely need pitching depth, but let’s aim a bit higher than a scrap heap innings eater.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t get it, during this “hot streak” since the break he’s struck out a whopping 4.3 batters per nine with a very flukey HR rate leading to an xFIP over 5.00.  Given he’ll be 33 in January, we should explore every and all alternatives before even thinking of settling for him.

Again, just for depth and to piggyback Kopech and Cease. 

He’s 33 years old and should theoretically be getting worse each and every year.  We definitely need pitching depth, but let’s aim a bit higher than a scrap heap innings eater.

I'd rather give innings to him than Covey or Banuelos. When it comes to a 6th starter unless the guy is an actual prospect, it's hard to go 7-8 deep in a rotation. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather him than Covey or Banuelos. 

No shit, and this part of the problem we are seeing when it comes to evaluating players on the Sox. It’s the same as when people were suggesting Tilson could be a future piece.  Just cause they look solid on this god awful team, it doesn’t mean they have any business being on a contending team.

• Thanks 1

While Abreu’s game is definitely starting to slow down, it seems his immediate demise was vastly overstated around here.  IMO, he can still be a solid piece for the next season or two if used correctly (DHing more than 1B, resting against tough RHPs, not automatically the 3/4 hole hitter).

While Abreu’s game is definitely starting to slow down, it seems his immediate demise was vastly overstated around here.  IMO, he can still be a solid piece for the next season or two if used correctly (DHing more than 1B, resting against tough RHPs, not automatically the 3/4 hole hitter).

It’s obvious he’s coming back. His comments in the media make it clear.