White Sox vs Twins 8/20/2019

TheTruth05

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Problem is he had all sorts of red flags based on metrics after last year. I don’t disagree that he could turn it around though given the volatility of relievers.

If he's still in the high 90's there's always hope. I just refuse to expect bad things. I'll wait till they are actually bad to complain.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This whole rebuild was to win the World Series, which they can do as a wild card team 😉

According to Hahn, the rebuild was about “sustained success.”  Winning the division year after year is what I would call “sustained success.”  The Wild Card is a crapshoot.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The expectations keep getting lower and lower.  It’s like talking about free agency next offseason.

How so? The goal is to win the World Series. A team can do that as either a wild card or division winner. Of course, it’s an easier path as a division winner but it can be done as a wild card as well.

Just now, flavum said:

89 runs for the Twins in 12 games vs the Sox, and we managed to win 4 of them.

Nothing new really.   It use to be worse when the Sox were in the playoff hunt and getting owned in their stadium made of garbage bags.

The expectations keep getting lower and lower.  It’s like talking about free agency next offseason.

Well you can't win when you talk about free agency . If you say you want Cole and Rendon then you come back and say no way that happens and then if you lower your expectations you say why not aim higher ?

You know the old damned if u do , damned if u don't routine.

According to Hahn, the rebuild was about “sustained success.”  Winning the division year after year is what I would call “sustained success.”  The Wild Card is a crapshoot.

But Hahn is full of shit. Winning a World Series should be the only goal when they haven't done anything to prove they are serious about sustained success except  ..except.. damn I'm drawing a blank.

I define sustained success as making the playoffs every year, regardless of how you get there. Does anyone care that the 2014 Giants were a wild card entry?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well you can't win when you talk about free agency . If you say you want Cole and Rendon then you come back and say no way that happens and then if you lower your expectations you say why not aim higher ?

Cole to the Sox probably makes more sense than any other potential move I can imagine.  They have the money and desperately need to improve their rotation.  But many of us don’t expect it to happen.  It’s disappointing but it is what it is.

• Haha 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How about the Sox organization just STFU and execute their plans instead of telling their fans (that they should be grateful they still have) how they should think.  Can we start a betting pool for which sox blogger will supposedly disrupt some amazing acquisition this offseason? 

• Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

How about the Sox organization just STFU and execute their plans instead of telling their fans (that they should be grateful they still have) how they should think.  Can we start a betting pool for which sox blogger will supposedly disrupt some amazing acquisition this offseason? 

That will take new ownership.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I define sustained success as making the playoffs every year, regardless of how you get there. Does anyone care that the 2014 Giants were a wild card entry?

Trying to get in with 82-85 wins as a Wild Card is flaky as hell.  That is my point.  After this many years of losing and rebuilding, we should be expecting 90+ wins and a shot at the division once Hahn’s plan is fully realized.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I was talking about us posters when we argue about who we want and then get rebuffed no matter who we say we want.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Twins with 14 runs and how many times has a batter been knocked on his ass ?

Execute your pitches better.  Have a better plan of attack.  You don't need to knock people on their ass like its 1960 to effectively pitch.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

If we have to hear Hahn say that he was just excited to be at the table with Cole next offseason, I may go insane.  😜

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Execute your pitches better.  Have a better plan of attack.  You don't need to knock people on their ass like its 1960 to effectively pitch.  

Maybe they tried that and it accidentally went over the plate.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

If we have to hear Hahn say that he was just excited to be at the table with Cole next offseason, I may go insane.  😜

Or that Cole really enjoyed our presentation and he’s proud of everyone that helped contribute to it

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Trying to get in with 82-85 wins as a Wild Card is flaky as hell.  That is my point.  After this many years of losing and rebuilding, we should be expecting 90+ wins and a shot at the division once Hahn’s plan is fully realized.

Sure, as long as Jerry is willing to spend above league average in payroll. You know like every other franchise that has sustained success and won titles in recent years - Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Cubs, Giants, Cardinals.

Just now, fathom said:

Or that Cole really enjoyed our presentation and he’s proud of everyone that helped contribute to it

And we picked up 3 of Cole's buddies off the scrap heap and they really like Chicago and think he is a shoe in to sign here.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sure, as long as Jerry is willing to spend above league average in payroll. You know like every other franchise that has sustained success and won titles in recent years - Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Cubs, Giants, Cardinals.

I guess this is exactly the point.  If Jerry isn’t willing to do that, then the Sox aren’t serious about winning like those other teams.  I guess we will all know the answer soon enough this winter.