Renteria goes on pregame anti-analytics rant

Jose Abreu

For some of the other quotes you could say that he's making a legitimate argument for balance in decision making and understanding where your players are on any given day, but this is the key one telling you the point he wants to make. Stats people "I don't give a bleep what you think so stop questioning me I deserve this and your opinion doesn't matter". He calls for balance, but note which side he wants to swear at.

• Thanks 2

I do agree there should be a mix, but I have no idea what batting a guy with a .322 slugging pct clean up does for a team in a positive way.It is time to take one of Ricky’s toys away and cut bait with Jon Jay. They could have saved more money and actually spent the $ 1 million internationally had they just done the obvious and realized Jon Jay would probably not make it through the season on the roster based on merit.

The Sox love RR. He is going nowhere, so hopefully he will learn from mistakes.

There actually are several teams where the manager doesn’t make ou the line up.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I do agree there should be a mix, but I have no idea what batting a guy with a .322 slugging pct clean up does for a team in a positive way.It is time to take one of Ricky’s toys away and cut bait with Jon Jay. They could have saved more money and actually spent the $ 1 million internationally had they just done the obvious and realized Jon Jay would probably not make it through the season on the roster based on merit.

I agree and most of what he says makes sense. There should be a mix, there should never be only one way. He shouldn't care what people outside the clubhouse think because they dont know if a player has a nagging injury or is feeling sick.

However, as you said he needs to have a justification for a poor hitter in the middle of the lineup other than they rea,ly aren't trying to win.

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Please get fired yesterday.  He’s an old school manager who “trusts his gut” and he has no place in today’s game if baseball.  The fact that he angrily replied to a question about analytics means he likely hates them.

Too lazy to look up.  has the guy ever had a winning season?  I don't think so.  I don't know why he's so confident about his approach it's proven hes a perennial loser year in year out. 

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

Too lazy to look up.  has the guy ever had a winning season?  I don't think so.  I don't know why he's so confident about his approach it's proven hes a perennial loser year in year out. 

His justification, based on the ending quotes, seems to be that he hasn’t had enough time or the right personnel to succeed in his career. That would make more sense if he wasn’t representing an organization that just demoted a top prospect after 26 at-bats

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But he isn’t learning from his mistakes.  His bunting obsession is ridiculous and the fact that our GM has to release a player because Ricky will use him improperly means that he will never learn or change.

Ricky needs to go.

• Like 1