Renteria goes on pregame anti-analytics rant

Jose Abreu

On 8/21/2019 at 4:51 PM, Balta1701 said:

Had RR said that there was a balance needed, sometimes going with your gut or using infromation you get by talking to your guys, and sometimes going with what the stats say, and then perhaps giving an example of each case, no one would complain about this. However, because he goes so strongly against statistics and people keep asking about it, he cites the need for balance, gives no examples of balance, and then tells anyone who is wondering where his statistics use is to bleep off. 

Yea going w your gut has to net results. I know Lord knows my "gut" has been wrong at times. IIRC in 2005 Ozzie went against stats and went w his instinicts 

7 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Hoping next yr RR not managing here, be nice to get a top notch manager in there and let him begin to mold a contender. 

Not going to happen for 2 reasons:  1.) Renteria works cheap, and 2.) Reinsdorf won't pay good money for a real manager because he feels managers don't make that much of a difference, a fact that has been attributed to him on several occasions.

I'm glad RR went after the analytics people a little bit. Sensitive much? Did anybody listen to him? He got a bit hacked during one answer. He never said analytics were bunk. I think when you hold a news conference before every fricking game and after every fricking game the manager is OK going off a couple times a year.

This wasn't even a bad rant. I liked it cause it at least made the stat people take notice for a day or two. If there's never room for a "gut feeling" in baseball, seriously why not have GM/manager dual roles. The manager will make all decisions relayed to him based on analytics. We're at that point we could do that you know? Get some computer geniuses supplying all the data and it would start with a computer generated lineup and we go from there during the game.

Edited by greg775

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm glad RR went after the analytics people a little bit. Sensitive much? Did anybody listen to him? He got a bit hacked during one answer. He never said analytics were bunk. I think when you hold a news conference before every fricking game and after every fricking game the manager is OK going off a couple times a year.

This wasn't even a bad rant. I liked it cause it at least made the stat people take notice for a day or two. If there's never room for a "gut feeling" in baseball, seriously why not have GM/manager dual roles. The manager will make all decisions relayed to him based on analytics. We're at that point we could do that you know? Get some computer geniuses supplying all the data and it would start with a computer generated lineup and we go from there during the game.

The only thing it made the "stat people" take notice of was the fact Ricky doesn't use stats to justify batting Jon Jay cleanup, which we all could've guessed anyways. 

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Literally no one wants that but since you haven't paid attention in the thread why bother. 

22 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

typical greg trolling  aside: The Rays are doing something like that, and they have been running circles around the Sox for years.

Then Hahn etc should put up or shut up. If analytics matter and people blast RR for ever using his "gut" let's get on with it. The technology is there to make ALL decisions based on stats and probability. Don't need a baseball man as manager, need somebody who is an analytics guy get the wheels moving each and every game. Folks you can't expect one manager (over 50) to be able to digest ALL that stat info (and there's a TON of it) and make decisions based on stats in every occasion. A team of people could pull it off.

Edited by greg775

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Literally no one wants that but since you haven't paid attention in the thread why bother. 

What did I miss? People are mad at RR for the rant and people are totally bought into advanced stats. So where I am I off base? I guess you would say they want a manager that at least "uses" analytics. My point is there are SO many stats there's no way a traditional baseball guy (anybody who played the game that's over 45, 50) is going to buy in and delve into them deep enough to warrant a lot of decisions based off those stats. If a GM is convinced advances stats are huge, or even gospel, well then go there, get on with it and get an advanced stat team in place with the buck stopping with what I call the GM/manager who would be responsible for quickly making decisions based on probability, etc. Where am I off base with this suggestion? There's no way one man could pull this off even if he likes studying advanced stats.

BTW I'll stop now as I sense I could get in trouble if I continue expressing about this.

Edited by greg775

Greg, go back and read the thread.  Almost everyone would like a manager that takes analytics into account during their decision making, as well as a manager who “trusts in his gut” from time to time.  By Renteria’s angry reaction to the question on analytics, it’s pretty obvious he would rather “trust in his gut” the majority of the time.