Tim Anderson Batting Average

jasonxctf

does anyone know why Tim Anderson's .331 batting average isnt "qualifying" on the league leaders charts? I originally thought it was due to his limited AB's due to the injury (he has 359) but Luke Voit is listed on the chart at #11 with just 349 AB's. This is per the ESPN board which also lists Yoan at #2 in Average. (372 AB's)

on the MLB board, it also has Voit listed, at #49. So they've included more, but still no Anderson. 

Is it % of games played and not an AB amount?

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Ricky should continue to bat him at the top of the lineup to get him the PA's. Kid has a legit shot at the batting title.

I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson lead off with Madrigal hitting behind him.  We would run some teams out of the park.

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't like Rick Hahn but he has been fantastic at this.

Anderson’s offensive numbers this year (and presumably the next few years) would have set the table for a very nice payday through the arbitration process. Instead, he’s paid a mere $21M over the next 3 seasons and then the team has control for 2 more seasons beyond that at a reasonable cost of $12.5M and $14M. Just fantastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Anderson’s offensive numbers this year (and presumably the next few years) would have set the table for a very nice payday through the arbitration process. Instead, he’s paid a mere $21M over the next 3 seasons and then the team has control for 2 more seasons beyond that at a reasonable cost of $12.5M and $14M. Just fantastic.

Hopefully we'll be saying the same with Eloy in a couple years

As things are going, he has a legitimate shot at winning the batting title. He is in the dialed in right now and if he can stay reasonably hot he has the inside track since with his lower plate appearances, every hit it is going to have a greater affect on his average than for those who have more AB's.

I am also going to get ahead of myself just to say I called it first if it were to happen, but I will make him my darkhorse to be MVP next year. If the team comes together and contends, and if he puts up numbers as good or better next year on top of being the catalyst he already is, its possible IMO.

Edited by SpringfieldFan
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lasttriptotulsa said:

You can also still win a batting title if you don't reach the qualifying PA's. Your average, for leaderboard purposes, is just calculated as if you had enough hitless at bats to reach the qualifying mark. Tony Gwynn did so in '96.

that's interesting!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The meatball fan in me would get great enjoyment from Timmy winning a batting title.

Oh I'd love it.  Given how much of his value is tied to his BA it would really be meaningful.  He's never going to take many walks so he needs all those hits.  He's had a pretty damn good year.   Fallen off with the glove but he can improve on that.  It's going to take more mental focus and good fundamentals.  He's got some bad habits that his athleticism allowed.   Fielding the ball off to side when coming in on a ball should be a habit he breaks this offseason.

37 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oh I'd love it.  Given how much of his value is tied to his BA it would really be meaningful.  He's never going to take many walks so he needs all those hits.  He's had a pretty damn good year.   Fallen off with the glove but he can improve on that.  It's going to take more mental focus and good fundamentals.  He's got some bad habits that his athleticism allowed.   Fielding the ball off to side when coming in on a ball should be a habit he breaks this offseason.

His footwork on throws is his biggest problem and the strength of his arm has allowed him to survive it. 

He is almost better throwing off balance than he is in rhythm.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His footwork on throws is his biggest problem and the strength of his arm has allowed him to survive it. 

He is almost better throwing off balance than he is in rhythm.

Yea it's a bad habit and I don't think he'll ever be that reliable with his arm until he learns to set and throw consistently.  I love TA, huge fan of his, but his problems in the field need to be corrected for him to be a star.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea it's a bad habit and I don't think he'll ever be that reliable with his arm until he learns to set and throw consistently.  I love TA, huge fan of his, but his problems in the field need to be corrected for him to be a star.

If Tim Anderson changed nothing about his defense but for the mental lapses and errors he'd be a top 10 defensive SS. The physical errors will always happen - the mental ones simply can't continue at this rate.