White Sox at Twinkees 8/21/19

wegner

30 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I honestly think the most important take-away from this year is that guys like Gio, Moncada, Anderson, McCann, Bummer and Marshall is not only have they been good...they've been good all year, elite even. They've shown their developments aren't just some fluke. 

Hell, even Leury. He may not be elite, but he is definitely very good. I always thought, all he needs to do is stay healthy and he will open eyes. Well, he's done that, and he's shown what he can do. And he's kept his numbers up all year as well as play solid defense in center, as well as short in Tim's absence.

Yeah, I was talking to a real cynical White Sox fan. Who was talking about how the team just "hasn't shown any signs of improvement". He justified this by citing how our win-loss record will only be marginally better and that our expected win-loss is currently even worse than that. "We've barely improved and we're playing over our heads". Is essentially how he put it. 

I was just baffled by how thick headed you must be to look at it like that. I mean, last year, how many big league players did we have in our lineup every day? Honestly, Omar f'ing Narvaez wound up our best player with Abreu having his worst season to date. lol. This year Moncada has been magnificent, McCann has been one of the best catchers in baseball, Eloy will lead the AL in HR's for a rookie (despite probably playing only 110 games or so), Leury will post a WAR around 3. Giolito has become a bonafide stud. Bummer and Colome are elite relievers.

Meanwhile, a huge chunk of our talent has either just arrived (Cease) or is dominating in the minors and will arrive soon. It's just wild to me that you can't look at this team right now and feel more positive than last year. I mean, what even could you possibly point to from a developmental standpoint and say it didn't go well? 

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If this is Gio for the next few years...tatis stings much less.

The issue with Abreu and  to a degree anderson is the OBP is so low that hey will never reach a sabermetric level they could, look at Abreu's OPS.

Anderson has an 850 ops as a SS who steals 30 bags a season. If he wasnt playing so poorly with the glove hed be on a 5 WAR pace for the season. 

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If this is Gio for the next few years...tatis stings much less.

The issue with Abreu and  to a degree anderson is the OBP is so low that hey will never reach a sabermetric level they could, look at Abreu's OPS.

I don't see why Lucas Giolito (who we traded Eaton for) should help me get over trading Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields. Totally unrelated. It doesn't help me feel better about Tatis that Moncada or Anderson are having big years. We should still have him if we didn't make a total clown show trade... (obviously hindsight is 20-20 but most didn't want to do it)