Reinsdorf assures Ron that Abreu will always be a White Sox

Sockin

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What a disheartening two days of asinine comments from the Sox FO.

Some of us would disagree and say today's comments are total class in rewarding a loyal soldier who can hit the baseball and also lead by word and deed. Congrats Jose on lifetime deal with Sox.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yikes...

”Abreu can enter free agency after the season, but a multiyear extension is likely in the works.”

If it's only two years that's manageable and I could get behind it (I'd personally prefer 1 yr + 1 option)...Anything beyond that wouldn't be ideal.

• Like 1

A loyal, consistent, and outstanding player. He deserves the respect of ending his career with the White Sox and not being nickeled and dimed out of a few million dollars. 

I say three years and 36 millions, at least. And if he is only productive one more year (Which I absolutely doubt as he shows no signs of slowing down), he has still earned it for his loyalty, clubhouse presence, and constant and consistent production. 

I just don't get you guys. Some people on here are still expressing regret that we didn't sign Machado ( a complete and total dick and clubhouse cancer) for over $30 million a year for ten years. Yet you want to insult a loyal warrior and get him to sign for only two years for less than 20 million for both years. I don't get it. 

Right now, Abreu has two more home runs than Machado, 25 more RBIs and a better OPS than Machado. I don't begin to get it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

A loyal, consistent, and outstanding player. He deserves the respect of ending his career with the White Sox and not being nickeled and dimed out of a few million dollars. 

I say three years and 36 millions, at least. And if he is only productive one more year (Which I absolutely doubt as he shows no signs of slowing down), he has still earned it for his loyalty, clubhouse presence, and constant and consistent production. 

Yikes.

So give him a bunch of money to hold a roster spot when his replacement is already in the minors when this team should be really good because of his "clubhouse presence".

There is no way he should get more than a 2 year deal with options.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yikes.

So give him a bunch of money to hold a roster spot when his replacement is already in the minors when this team should be really good because of his "clubhouse presence".

And who would that replacement be?  Do Robert or Mandrigal play 1st base? I didn't know that. 

Is it A. J. Reed in AAA?

Is it Sheets in AA with his .261 average and his .763 OPS?

No wait, it's Vaughn. He was the best batter in college ball last year (I hear that quote over and over). He is dominating Single A pitching to the toon of batting .250 with a OPS of .765. Is he gonna be in the majors next year?  . . .  nope. Or the year after that . . .  nope. Probably by 2022, but not a sure thing. And by then Abreu, as history strongly indicates, will have 60 more career home runs and about 200 more career RBIs.

Pay the man what he has earned and deserves.  

Edited by vilehoopster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yikes.

And you know what. The team will already be really good, but it will be better because of Abreu's clubhouse presence. Again, any coach in any sport talks about how important good leadership is. It's not just a meme. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

And you know what. The team will already be really good, but it will be better because of Abreu's clubhouse presence. Again, any coach in any sport talks about how important good leadership is. It's not just a meme. 

Baseball is an individual team sport.  Thinking "clubhouse presence" is somehow significant enough to extend an aging, bad defensive player is goofy.  Giving Abreu a guarenteed roster spot 3 years from now is not a good baseball move, regardless of how much you like him.

Vaughn is in his first month + of professional baseball and they just spent the 3rd overall pick on him.  Unless he turns into trash you can probably expect to see him in 2021 or very early 2022 based on what the Sox have been doing.  There is 0 reason to guarentee Abreu a spot for 2022. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

And who would that replacement be?  Do Robert or Mandrigal play 1st base? I didn't know that. 

Is it A. J. Reed in AAA?

Is it Sheets in AA with his .261 average and his .763 OPS?

No wait, it's Vaughn. He was the best batter in college ball last year (I hear that quote over and over). He is dominating Single A pitching to the toon of batting .250 with a OPS of .765. Is he gonna be in the majors next year?  . . .  nope. Or the year after that . . .  nope. Probably by 2022, but not a sure thing. And by then Abreu, as history strongly indicates, will have 60 more career home runs and about 200 more career RBIs.

Pay the man what he has earned and deserves.  

The rebuild is pretty much doomed if they're THAT far off on their assessments of core players like Vaughn, because we'll in our last two years of Moncada and Giolito at that point.

Of course, with Nick Madrigal, the "half season" after the draft has shown itself to be less indicative of overall performance/potential than the follow-up year, fortunately.

With an advanced college bat like that Vaughn's supposed to be up in late 2020 or early 2021.   That would be following the same accelerated paths as Madrigal and Gordon Beckham before him.

2 yrs max at a discounted price or it’s a wasted signing. Hahn has his built in excuse we got no free agents yet again, but we kept Abreu nonsense. It’s not going to fly this winter.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I just don't get you guys. Some people on here are still expressing regret that we didn't sign Machado ( a complete and total dick and clubhouse cancer) for over $30 million a year for ten years. Yet you want to insult a loyal warrior and get him to sign for only two years for less than 20 million for both years. I don't get it. 

Right now, Abreu has two more home runs than Machado, 25 more RBIs and a better OPS than Machado. I don't begin to get it. 

Yet another terrific post.  My compliments.   😀

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Strong troll game

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

The sad part is, the White Sox organization is perfect for you. No real logic, no understanding of how MLB actually works, but making irrational decisions based on sentiment and outdated stats.

You deserve the White Sox.

Actually I could have written Vile's post. I agree with him completely. You seem so sure of yourself Tony about Abreu. Sentiment and outdated stats. How the hell are RBIs and home runs outdated stats? Abreu is piling up RBIs and home runs. I'm assuming the RBIs are worthless because it's all luck. Some players aren't up with men on base; some like Abreu apparently are up with runners on base. I think that's a pretty weak argument if that's it.

Finally ... I think it's pretty sad of you to blast Vile for that post. What the hell is wrong with his post? He wants Abreu to get 12 mill a year for 3 years; I want him to get 12 mill a year for two years and a third year club option. It's not like we're asking John Jay to get this contract. You advanced stat lovers seem convinced Jose is on some sort of majestic decline when he's been hot as a firecracker and is piling up the RBIs.

I'd love to see one of you guys argue with Steve Stone or somebody like that about Abreu's 96 RBIs with a month to go being meh. Don't you see how most of baseball disagrees with you. The guys who played baseball 20 years ago lived for RBIs. You can't tell them RBIs are worthless. I'd love to see you argue with a George Brett or Billy Williams or Dick Allen. Those guys will never agree with some of you stat guys. In fact I'd hesitate to say Stoney would not be upset at all with Vile's last post!

What in the hell is wrong with giving Abreu 12 mill a year the next two years??? Again, he's not on a John Jay track here! He's Jose Abreu, Mr Production/Leader. You act like you know "how MLB actually works." Well guess what ... clubhouse guys like Abreu are still valuable to teams whether you believe it or not. Vile has the right to his own opinion as much as you. Sad that you said "you deserve the White Sox" off his very reasonable post.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

You sure do like to create your own narratives over three sentences I wrote, basically none of what you said is how I feel. But good try!  

In most cases, this is where I’d explain my stance in much further detail to try and have a discussion. However we’ve gone down that road with you literally hundreds of times, and you refuse to listen or entertain a rational discussion, so I’m not going to waste my time. 

But he's been really good for the Sox while we have been bad and therfore we owe him millions and a roster spot going forward.  It's not like spots are a currency.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

I am not going to knock a guy who picks up 100 RBIs every year even with his defense. But this is what struck me on hearing this: I wonder if JR wants to keep Abreu because Abreu is a good offensive player or because he likes the guy? Guillen should have been fired in May 2011, but Reinsdorf couldn't or wouldn't do it, and that whole situation turned into a fiasco. Ventura was another safe and sentimental hire.

If the franchise wants to reward Abreu somehow, that's fine with me. But they didn't draft Vaughn for nothing. Just need a little common sense here.

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

Jeff Passan, the best reporter in MLB and with no emotional attachment to Chicago, said this yesterday: 

“It all depends on the price. Even if the White Sox drafted his replacement in Andrew Vaughn, the White Sox don’t have a DH right now. If you want to bring Abreu back, doing so on a two year deal worth 25 million or so is a very reasonable thing to do. It’s just there are so many guys right now with his profile, guys who can hit 30 HR and get on base 32% of the time. If José Abreu was getting on at a .350 clip like he was at the start of the career, different story. I just don’t think there will be a lot of bidders for a 33 year old. 33 year old bats don’t get a lot of play in free agency.”

And I don’t disagree with that at all. 

OK then we agree cause Passan says he should be paid just what Vile and I said he should be paid. I am Vile's mini me. ... One shot on Passan by me: There are a ton of guys who can hit 30 HR and get on base 32 percent of the time? The Sox haven't found too many of those guys thru history.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

OK then we agree cause Passan says he should be paid just what Vile and I said he should be paid. I am Vile's mini me. ... One shot on Passan by me: There are a ton of guys who can hit 30 HR and get on base 32 percent of the time? The Sox haven't found too many of those guys thru history.

Agreed, if these guys are so easy to find, can we get one in right field for the games this weekend.