Reinsdorf assures Ron that Abreu will always be a White Sox

Sockin

20 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yet he was an All-Star. I'm assuming his WAR (yawn) was just as bad compared to others at the all star break when he got picked. I forget. We Sox fans don't applaud our guys for all star selections unless they are aged 25 or so or having a wild reclamation year like McCann.

p.s. Oops I'm in a praise Jose mood today which means I better log off. I am in a mood where i could be baited to express great love of Jose!

Oh, we're yawning WAR now. Great argument.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:26 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Can we stop this lazy, tired trope?  Here is Jose Abreu's last 1100 PA:

abreu.png

He's not a "streaky good hitter" he's a "streaky mediocre hitter".  And he can't field.  And he's aging.  Folks, the 140 wRC+ Jose Abreu left the building a few years ago and he's never, ever coming back.  Going more than 1 year on him is insane.  He's projected as a 1.5 fWAR player.  You don't sign 33 year old DHs coming off two seasons of mediocrity to anything other than a one year deal.

Hitting .355 this month with an OPS around 1.000. I would say that is streaky good.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Hitting .355 this month with an OPS around 1.000. I would say that is streaky good.

Ever notice he never gets a day off? He had another excellent game today. The guy that said he should be D-F-A ... that really has me steamed tonight. Geez, how unfair can one get?

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Imagine actually believing Jose Abreu is a bad baseball player

I really think you have to be an ingrate. I think that's the right word. You have the right to like who you want, but this is a guy I think should be easy to root for and want around. My gosh you don't need 8 superstars all between the ages of 24 and 29 on the field at the same time to field a winner. If Jose Abreu's production isn't good enough for some fans, we probably don't deserve a winner here.

Edited by greg775

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Ever notice he never gets a day off? He had another excellent game today. The guy that said he should be D-F-A ... that really has me steamed tonight. Geez, how unfair can one get?

Who cares...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There are lots more Jose fans than Negative Nellies. Move on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

I really think you have to be an ingrate. I think that's the right word. You have the right to like who you want, but this is a guy I think should be easy to root for and want around. My gosh you don't need 8 superstars all between the ages of 24 and 29 on the field at the same time to field a winner. If Jose Abreu's production isn't good enough for some fans, we probably don't deserve a winner here.

I can co-sign this post of yours.  Ideally he’s the DH but I don’t think there’s any harm in him being our 1B next year 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, poppysox said:

There are no bad hitters with 100 rbi's or who bat .300.  Advanced stats have a role in evaluation but they are not the end all.

Albert Pujols had 101 RBI in 2017. A season where he slashed .241/.286/.386. That is a dogshit season that he got to 100 by having the best player maybe ever in front of him. 

42 minutes ago, mqr said:

Albert Pujols had 101 RBI in 2017. A season where he slashed .241/.286/.386. That is a dogshit season that he got to 100 by having the best player maybe ever in front of him. 

So that's how Jose got to 100. 

I just think sometimes you have to step back at least a tiny bit from WAR and try to be logical. The White Sox have one of the lowest scoring teams in the AL. jose has accounted for a lot of runs. Maybe, just maybe the hate a few have for him is a bit overboard. 3rd quickest White Sox to 1,000 hits, first White Sox player with 30 doubles 6 straight seasons. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So that's how Jose got to 100. 

I just think sometimes you have to step back at least a tiny bit from WAR and try to be logical. The White Sox have one of the lowest scoring teams in the AL. jose has accounted for a lot of runs. Maybe, just maybe the hate a few have for him is a bit overboard. 3rd quickest White Sox to 1,000 hits, first White Sox player with 30 doubles 6 straight seasons. 

Yeah, and it's harder to be really productive in a bad lineup. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, greg775 said:

Want to bet?

Uh, my mom cares. I can find you a friend out here who cares. So guess what? You are wrong again. You said "no one" which means u wrong.

He gets an A+ from me. I could care less what his WAR is.100 RBI in August. Outstanding!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, greg775 said:

Nice post roofshot! Join the Jose supporters club!

.280something, 28HR 102 RBI and ppl want him gone. SMH. But yeah I know RBIs supposedly don't mean anything, and according to WAR Yolmers more valuable. lol I hope he gets a nice extension. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roofshot said:

.280something, 28HR 102 RBI and ppl want him gone. SMH. But yeah I know RBIs supposedly don't mean anything, and according to WAR Yolmers more valuable. lol I hope he gets a nice extension. 

Yolmer is clearly the superior player.  WAR is perfect!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 10:34 AM, Roofshot said:

Somehow they put those on a scoreboard and whatever team has the most RBIs in a game wins.   They haven't done that for WAR yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreujo02.shtml

Can someone explain why Jose's OPS is identical in 2016 and 2019, but he has a 124 OPS+ in 2016 and a 114+ OPS in 2019 despite better cumulative stats (except walks)? Can that all be park factor differential????

League wide offense is way up from 2016.

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreujo02.shtml

Can someone explain why Jose's OPS is identical in 2016 and 2019, but he has a 124 OPS+ in 2016 and a 114+ OPS in 2019 despite better cumulative stats (except walks)? Can that all be park factor differential????

His OBP has dropped dramatically and being on base is more valuable for generating runs than slugging. OPS treats them equally by just adding; any system scaled to how productive you are cares about 1 point of OBP more than 1 point of slugging. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

His OBP has dropped dramatically and being on base is more valuable for generating runs than slugging. OPS treats them equally by just adding; any system scaled to how productive you are cares about 1 point of OBP more than 1 point of slugging. 

So it values walks more than xbh's? 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

So it values walks more than xbh's? 

No because an extra base hit counts for both. If you had the same amount of walks and more extra base hits your OBP would go up also. 

Basically, getting on base (home to first) is more valuable than going from first to second on your own because someone else can move you from first to home once you're on base. If you're on first base or on 2nd base, you score on a home run no matter how slow you are, but if you're out, you don't score.