Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sockin

Reinsdorf assures Ron that Abreu will always be a White Sox

Recommended Posts

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I understand not thinking that they're gonna sign big name free agents, but thinking that they're gonna maintain some of the lowest inflation-adjusted payrolls in franchise history is honestly an impressive level of front office hatred 

They're going to boost payroll, we all agree on that. But we also aren't convinced that they'll come up with difference makers when we saw what they did with $40 million+ in new spending this past offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They're going to boost payroll, we all agree on that. But we also aren't convinced that they'll come up with difference makers when we saw what they did with $40 million+ in new spending this past offseason. 

A large chunk of that 40+ million was very much not spent for baseball reasons. I don't see a reason to get hung up on it. 

They got 5 WAR out of the 25 or so million on the non-machado family signings/trades. In fact, I'd say they got surplus value out of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you don't like how JR runs the team literally your only option is to become a fan of another team. 

The reality is - yes you can sign Jose Abreu to a 3 year deal, but that also means in 2021 you don't get someone else. For a not unreasonable example, You get to keep 2 of the 3: Jose Abreu, James McCann, and Alex Colome. Which do you let leave?

My answers:

a.) If you don't like how JR runs the team literally your only option is to become a fan of another team. (No, I can remain a fan and moan about Jerry and hope he gets back to a hefty payroll).

b.) The reality is - yes you can sign Jose Abreu to a 3 year deal, but that also means in 2021 you don't get someone else. For a not unreasonable example, You get to keep 2 of the 3: Jose Abreu, James McCann, and Alex Colome. Which do you let leave? My comment: "Man, you think Abreu's lousy 36 million would affect the team's ability to sign people that much? Jerry is the one who should become a fan of another team, not me, if that's the case. I thought we almost tied up 300 million in one player; that's a lot more than 36 million. Not sure how much McCann and Colome are going to command. That's another topic but I'm willing to listen. I'd think both actually are never going to break any team's bank so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

So we should be happy with an average/below average player because the rest of the lineup MIGHT be really good in 2 years?

Not trying to improve the team to the best it possibly can be because we have prospects coming is just craziness and a great way to never get out of the rebuild. Some of those guys you listed are inevitably going to fail. 

No, we shouldn’t. We should be happy that we are getting the best available fit at DH/1B who also still happens to be a very good offensive piece, especially when he doesn’t have to be relied on to completely carry the offense.

Which ones of the ones I listed are going to “inevitably fail?” I’m assuming you mean Madrigal and Vaughn, because Moncada looks like a legit 5-7 WAR stud, Anderson is nearly leading the league in batting, Jimenez had 22 home runs in his first 88 major league games, and Robert looks like he’s as much of a can’t miss as you can get. All four of those guys would be better than Jose next year. 

Vaughn and Madrigal just need to be capable pieces when we start competing. 

For the record, I don’t think Jose is going to be bad. I think he is going to be slightly diminished. Jose’s best future value is actually his consistency. What we can’t afford is getting a DH who goes through a .160 slump for two months. We have done that like three times now in the past 10 years. I don’t think Jose Abreu is going to fall into that kind of black hole because of the type of hitter he is. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

No, we shouldn’t. We should be happy that we are getting the best available fit at DH/1B who also still happens to be a very good offensive piece, especially when he doesn’t have to be relied on to completely carry the offense.

Which ones of the ones I listed are going to “inevitably fail?” I’m assuming you mean Madrigal and Vaughn, because Moncada looks like a legit 5-7 WAR stud, Anderson is nearly leading the league in batting, Jimenez had 22 home runs in his first 88 major league games, and Robert looks like he’s as much of a can’t miss as you can get. All four of those guys would be better than Jose next year. 

Vaughn and Madrigal just need to be capable pieces when we start competing. 

For the record, I don’t think Jose is going to be bad. I think he is going to be slightly diminished. Jose’s best future value is actually his consistency. What we can’t afford is getting a DH who goes through a .160 slump for two months. We have done that like three times now in the past 10 years. I don’t think Jose Abreu is going to fall into that kind of black hole because of the type of hitter he is. 

If the front office can’t figure out how to get a DH with an OPS over .800 we are a lot of trouble. 

 

Im sure you and I both were penciling in the likes of Beckham and Dayan into the starting lineup for years to come...are Madrigal, Vaughn, and Robert really good prospects? Of course, but many really good prospects have failed. Eloy and cease have a long way to go as well.

 

Trust me, I’m optimistic about the future myself, but just resting on what’s already in the organization thinking everything will work out just fine is craziness. We should be looking for upgrades outside the organization at a lot of positions, 1B/DH being 1 of them. I’ve said before that Jose isn’t a bad player and if we end up circling back and giving him a 1 year deal I’m fine with it. But to lock him up for 2+ years thinking we are set at any position is bad management 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

if we end up circling back and giving him a 1 year deal I’m fine with it. But to lock him up for 2+ years thinking we are set at any position is bad management 

You can relax IMO. He's not getting more than 2 years. And if and when Vaughn is ready for 2021 he'll be the first baseman. Jose will be DH. If Jose blows so bad in 2021 they have to take him out of the DH role, so be it. All that would be wasted is a few million they've gladly wasted before.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You can relax IMO. He's not getting more than 2 years. And if and when Vaughn is ready for 2021 he'll be the first baseman. Jose will be DH. If Jose blows so bad in 2021 they have to take him out of the DH role, so be it. All that would be wasted is a few million they've gladly wasted before.

How do you know Jose will be DH? He hasn't been DH before when we have better fielder's playing DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Hopefully our "leader" and "ambassador" will tell the youngins to never start dipping. Bad, disgusting habit. I truly hope he stops soon for his health's sake. 

why don't you send a letter to him or the Sox? It's supposed to be illegal to chew during games. I figure to each his own but if you are offended, contact the Sox. You can send a letter to Abreu. He'll read it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

why don't you send a letter to him or the Sox? It's supposed to be illegal to chew during games. I figure to each his own but if you are offended, contact the Sox. You can send a letter to Abreu. He'll read it.

My Spanish is a bit rusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

After seeing how Rick Hahn spent $50 million this offseason, and considering that Giolito, Lopez, and Moncada all hit arbitration in 2020 (so maybe $25 million in payroll increases right there)...yeah. 

Literally none of those guys hit arbitration next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ron883 said:

My Spanish is a bit rusty

As is your view towards our team’s “leader” and “ambassador”.  Perhaps best you just leave him alone.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Literally none of those guys hit arbitration next year.

He meant 2021, but yeah, that's going to be at least a 25M addition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Literally none of those guys hit arbitration next year.

yeah my bad, was talking about 2021, which is the year Colome and McCann are also free agents as well so that's why those 3 guys are relevant to McCann and Colome, minor typo but you're correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ron883 said:

Hopefully our "leader" and "ambassador" will tell the youngins to never start dipping. Bad, disgusting habit. I truly hope he stops soon for his health's sake. 

Pussified generation.   I always wondered when this trend started and why.  Rod Carew used it to pull his cheek down to see the ball better.  Remember Big League Chew bubble gum.   I think most kids don't touch smokeless tobacco unless it's in the family. 

Edited by kitekrazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Pussified generation.   I always wondered when this trend started and why.  Rod Carew used it to pull his cheek down to see the ball better.  Remember Big League Chew bubble gum.   I think most kids don't touch smokeless tobacco unless it's in the family. 

Did you just simultaneously go misogynist and insult an entire generation for not wanting mouth cancer? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Pussified generation.   I always wondered when this trend started and why.  Rod Carew used it to pull his cheek down to see the ball better.  Remember Big League Chew bubble gum.   I think most kids don't touch smokeless tobacco unless it's in the family. 

Look at pictures of Tony Gwynn the last twelve months of his life.  I’m sure none of them will cite him for “being a real man” right now.  I doubt it’s written as an epitaph on his tombstone.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/131484795/tony-gwynn#view-photo=133153540

And I’m not exactly sure how jamming all the Big League Chew in until your jaw hurt made you a better person, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you just simultaneously go misogynist and insult an entire generation for not wanting mouth cancer? 

Oh wow! 😨This is the result of having 2 browsers open and 6 tabs and posting in multiple places and different subjects. That pussified comment came from an audio mixing thread that was part of a quote I copied using this one stupid wireless keyboard that has a pad instead of a mouse.   

 I've always wondered how tobacco became associated with baseball.  I still remember the TV commercial with Fisk endorsing Copenhagen.  One of the old Cub pitchers use to smoke between innings.  Terry Bradshaw use to put in that leaf tobacco on the side lines at the end of a game.

 So I've derailed a conversation.  No more "multitasking for me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abreu's second RBI today shows his value. 1st of all, he got the first RBI of the game (Hell, he batted in all of the Sox's runs today). 

Back on topic. The bases loaded against a young guy throwing 100 mph, less than two outs. You have got to put that ball in play. Anderson with his .330 or so average strikes out on three pitches. Abreu, and experienced veteran not in anyway in decline, gets his bat on a ball and the slow roller to 3rd scores the insurance run. You guys who complain about his bat slowing down and all that BS, that was a great at bat, great: a clear compare and contrast between Abreu and Anderson. Yes, he got lucky, but his skill was putting the ball in play to get lucky. 

And he will continue being this lucky for years yet. Pay the man: three years and at least 36 million. 

And if you think the Sox showing a valued warrior the respect and paying him what he deserves will keep them from signing some other free agent, you're just being ridiculous. If you have to reach to that level of fantasy to argue against Abreu's value and why he should not be resigned. You're already lost the argument. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, ron883 said:

What exactly has he done that is so great? He's had some productive years as a 1st basemen. Ya know, Alex Rios had some productive years in our OF. Why not guarantee Rios a coaching job while we are at it?

Well today, for example, he drove in his 100th RBI of the year, the 5th year he’s done so in a White Sox uniform, which places him third all-time in White Sox history in doing so.  Only Paulie (6 times) and Big Frank (10 times) have done it more often as a member of the White Sox. 

But I digress - what was that you were saying about Alex Rios?   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Abreu's second RBI today shows his value. 1st of all, he got the first RBI of the game (Hell, he batted in all of the Sox's runs today). 

Back on topic. The bases loaded against a young guy throwing 100 mph, less than two outs. You have got to put that ball in play. Anderson with his .330 or so average strikes out on three pitches. Abreu, and experienced veteran not in anyway in decline, gets his bat on a ball and the slow roller to 3rd scores the insurance run. You guys who complain about his bat slowing down and all that BS, that was a great at bat, great: a clear compare and contrast between Abreu and Anderson. Yes, he got lucky, but his skill was putting the ball in play to get lucky. 

And he will continue being this lucky for years yet. Pay the man: three years and at least 36 million. 

And if you think the Sox showing a valued warrior the respect and paying him what he deserves will keep them from signing some other free agent, you're just being ridiculous. If you have to reach to that level of fantasy to argue against Abreu's value and why he should not be resigned. You're already lost the argument. 

Good post by vile. For some reason if I wrote this I think I'd be accused of trolling. The post has a cool rhythm to it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Well today, for example, he drove in his 100th RBI of the year, the 5th year he’s done so in a White Sox uniform, which places him third all-time in White Sox history in doing so.  Only Paulie (6 times) and Big Frank (10 times) have done it more often as a member of the White Sox. 

But I digress - what was that you were saying about Alex Rios?   

Wow, RBIs. Do you also use a slide rule when doing math instead of a calculator? Bloodlet when you are sick instead of antibiotics? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Wow, RBIs. Do you also use a slide rule when doing math instead of a calculator? Bloodlet when you are sick instead of antibiotics? 

To argue that RBI's are not important is ridiculous imho.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×