Sign in to follow this  
Sockin

Reinsdorf assures Ron that Abreu will always be a White Sox

6 minutes ago, 3GamesToLove said:

So who is Ron!?

I dunno but DFW wrote that about Federer but he could have wrote it about Robert.  Looking forward to him next year.  Great sig!

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The reaction in the game thread when Jose hit the HR was priceless. No one typing .... JOSE !!! Just a few comments about that guy who starts all the Abreu threads. Funny thing is people are now agreeing with him and taking Jose for granted. If his strtegy was to bomard us with crap about Abreu until he showed even the slightest decline it's worked . Because he is a bad fielder any drop off in offensive production, no matter how slight, people are talking about him now as if he sucks.

But if you praise him you have to also say that not scoring on the great catch by Mercado with the bases loaded and 1 out was just plain inexcusable and added more fuel to the fire.

It's incredible. It's funny how "cliche fans" have changed. It used to be fans "fell in love with" or "had high respect for" the veterans who actually produced. Now the message board fan at least grows very tired of the guys who have been around a while, guys like Jose. I prefer it the other way. 

At least some of you have Abreu jerseys. So how many of you own Jose Abreu Sox jerseys? Hopefully 10 or more.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's incredible. It's funny how "cliche fans" have changed. It used to be fans "fell in love with" or "had high respect for" the veterans who actually produced. Now the message board fan at least grows very tired of the guys who have been around a while, guys like Jose. I prefer it the other way. 

At least some of you have Abreu jerseys. So how many of you own Jose Abreu Sox jerseys? Hopefully 10 or more.

I have an Ozzie Guillen autograph and a Jose Abreu autograph.  That's it.  Really doesn't change my feelings about either.  I root for the laundry ya know?  When Ozzie and Jose are no longer assets to the laundry I move on.  Sentimentalism has little place in sports or life.  Except perhaps for newspaper columnists and hagiographers.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have an Ozzie Guillen autograph and a Jose Abreu autograph.  That's it.  Really doesn't change my feelings about either.  I root for the laundry ya know?  When Ozzie and Jose are no longer assets to the laundry I move on.  Sentimentalism has little place in sports or life.  Except perhaps for newspaper columnists and hagiographers.

Jose is fine as long as he is our best option at 1st or DH.  Don't be doing any Konerko farewell tours while we are in championship mode.  Can't afford under utilizing      1 of 25 spots on a team trying to win now.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Jose is fine as long as he is our best option at 1st or DH.  Don't be doing any Konerko farewell tours while we are in championship mode.  Can't afford under utilizing      1 of 25 spots on a team trying to win now.

One year with a vesting option and buyout makes a lot of sense.   Something like 600 PA maybe and a 3 million dollar buyout on top of 1 year 12 million.  Unless there's been a dramatic shift in how mid 30s DHs with good but not great bats are evaluated he should be more than happy with a deal like that.

Frankly I feel like if the Sox don't make him an offer he's unlikely to even get that.

Abreu is up to 30 homers and 111 RBIs. Are you bleeping me? Do you folks realize how impressive this is for a team as bad as the White Sox? I'd like to ask somebody if a Jose appreciation thread is appropriate? I think it is. Being that most realize Jose is one of my favorite Sox of all time I probably should not go there and start one lest I get accused of inciting his detractors and put on vacation. So I'd just like to say, 111 RBIs. Albert Belle once had 152 for the Sox which is insane. 30 HRS; Belle once had 49. Jose has earned his paycheck this season, folks.

I hope Jose got a loud long ovation Saturday night for homer No. 30. I'm thinking the fans who go to games appreciate him. It has to be fun to watch him bat when you pay good money for a game. 

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

Abreu refuses to play DH. Rick and Ricky better lay down the law if he returns

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

When will you finally admit you’re wrong?

When will you apologize to Abreu, his family, and every white Sox fan in this city for the insults you have heaped on this class act for the past several seasons?

I’m assuming the answer is never on both accounts. 

9 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

When will you finally admit you’re wrong?

When will you apologize to Abreu, his family, and every white Sox fan in this city for the insults you have heaped on this class act for the past several seasons?

I’m assuming the answer is never on both accounts. 

I can understand criticism of a player. I certainly blasted Royce Clayton enough and Adam Dunn. But I don't understand criticism of somebody who has produced. It really makes one wonder what is going on in ron's head? Say what you want about RBIs ... the guy leads the team and league in RBIs. He's over .280 now. He drew three walks yesterday and crickets. He's having an all star season at age 32 on a horrible team. 

I know in a free society you can criticize anybody you want but this reeks of something utterly unfair. Considering all the bad players on this team ... and the guy to attack constantly is Abreu? Makes no sense. We're all worse for having to put up with it cause it adds to negativism in our daily lives. Oh well.

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

First things first, Ronbo.  Let's have Rick lay down that shiny new contract in front of him that brings him back for 2-3 more years.  

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

Abreu has played 32 games at DH.  His performance while at DH is very similar to his performance while at 1B.

He may prefer playing the field, but this isn't a guy who refuses to play DH.  Besides, I get the feeling Abreu will play where he's asked to play.

One thing to note about Abreu.  There seems to be quite a bit of talk about the Sox being interested in JD Martinez.  Just off the top of my head, I believe Olney, Steve Phillips and ARod have all mentioned that just within the past few days.  I obviously an OK adding JD Martinez to the mix, but it would need to be strictly as a DH with maybe a few games a month in RF.  That pretty much relegates Abreu to 1B fulltime, and with Vaughn arriving no later than 2021, I don't really know that Abreu fits for more than 1 more season if JD were brought on board.

But, please, for the love of God Sox, don't sign Martinez to be the everyday RF.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

One thing to note about Abreu.  There seems to be quite a bit of talk about the Sox being interested in JD Martinez.  Just off the top of my head, I believe Olney, Steve Phillips and ARod have all mentioned that just within the past few days.  I obviously an OK adding JD Martinez to the mix, but it would need to be strictly as a DH with maybe a few games a month in RF.  That pretty much relegates Abreu to 1B fulltime, and with Vaughn arriving no later than 2021, I don't really know that Abreu fits for more than 1 more season if JD were brought on board.

But, please, for the love of God Sox, don't sign Martinez to be the everyday RF.  

Ken Rosenthal, too. He was the first one

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Been so busy the last few days (helped my parents with some projects on Saturday and had a triple header between my 2 baseball leagues I play in so I've been dead to the world) so I may have missed this. Do you have any links for this?

Edited by soxfan2014

What happened to the title of this thread?

So the thread title was changed without my consent (but with my name still attached)

How was that done?  Why was that done? Was my name put in the title in the third person to hurt my credibility? Antoher attack on my credibility as a poster.  Why and how was this done, again without my consent when my name is attached to the thread?

I'm not very happy about this. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:27 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

Bringing back Abreu is fine but he should give up 1B as soon as Vaughn is ready and finish his career as a DH.

I have no doubt ...this is the plan.  That is a full year away however.

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

Antoher attack on my credibility as a poster. 

Your credibility is in question because you think Abreu is absolutely no good. That's just not true so that hurts your credibility. I mean to attack a guy who leads the league in RBI and except for Albert Belle would be right up there in all time team HRs is downright wrong. Yes your position on Jose hurts your credibility.

Now you could argue my credibility is gone because I opined that a certain player would be a good catcher. Kind of Manny Sanguillen-ish and had the stats that would make him an outstanding all-star catcher. That was before Timmy turned into a .320 hitter. That obviously translates well at shortstop or any position. I did not foresee that coming. I dropped it when called on it so my credibility isn't completely shot.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Your credibility is in question because you think Abreu is absolutely no good. That's just not true so that hurts your credibility. I mean to attack a guy who leads the league in RBI and except for Albert Belle would be right up there in all time team HRs is downright wrong. Yes your position on Jose hurts your credibility.

Now you could argue my credibility is gone because I opined that a certain player would be a good catcher. Kind of Manny Sanguillen-ish and had the stats that would make him an outstanding all-star catcher. That was before Timmy turned into a .320 hitter. That obviously translates well at shortstop or any position. I did not foresee that coming. I dropped it when called on it so my credibility isn't completely shot.

You're the gold standard for credibility around here greg. I can only hope to garner the respect and have the credibility you have around these parts.

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

What happened to the title of this thread?

So the thread title was changed without my consent (but with my name still attached)

How was that done?  Why was that done? Was my name put in the title in the third person to hurt my credibility? Antoher attack on my credibility as a poster.  Why and how was this done, again without my consent when my name is attached to the thread?

I'm not very happy about this. 

You should hire a lawyer.