The game thread

Southwest Sider

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His guy has been maybe the worst pitcher in baseball the last couple of months. And Ricky is giving him outs.

And getting us runs and giving away outs. Are you just being contrarian here ? We have faced plenty of stiffs and not got many runs. Why not just be objective and say hey the bunts produced runs and we're ahead 5-0 . Nope half of you just bash for the sake of making fun of the guy. I don't like him any more than most but when things work give him credit.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And getting us runs and giving away outs. Are you just being contrarian here ? We have faced plenty of stiffs and not got many runs. Why not just be objective and say hey the bunts produced runs and we're ahead 5-0 . Nope half of you just bash for the sake of making fun of the guy. I don't like him any more than most but when things work give him credit.

The bunts produced back to back home runs? 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok if you are going to be unreasonable and make non sensenscal posts I have no further use to debate this. You know hitters can't do things just because they have to or want to otherwise how do any teams ever win if everyone does exactly what they have to or need to do. All games would be 30 runs per side if what you say is true.

I'm not asking him to hit one 20 rows deep.  I'm asking him to hit a groundball to the right side to move a runner from second to third.  Every professional hitter on the planet should be able to that.  It's called baseball 101.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm not asking him to hit one 20 rows deep.  I'm asking him to hit a groundball to the right side to move a runner from second to third.  Every professional hitter on the planet should be able to that.  It's called baseball 101.

Your arguments are baseball stupid 101 if it was that easy in the age of massive K's how does anyone ever fail to advance a runner ?

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You know what the bunts did. Advanced runners to 3rd with 1 out. SF scored 1 ,a single scored the other . AFer that there was no need to bunt the HR's just added to the lead .

There was never a need to bunt, it was the 2nd and 3rd innings, with 0 outs, no double play possible, and bad pitchers throwing for both teams (although full credit to Detwiler who is having himself a night). 

Just because the small ball succeeded in moving 2 runs across doesn't mean it was a good decision. The HRs show what can happen when you let players swing away. Who sacrifice bunts with their lead-off hitter against a bum like Jurado?

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

There was never a need to bunt, it was the 2nd and 3rd innings, with 0 outs, no double play possible, and bad pitchers throwing for both teams (although full credit to Detwiler who is having himself a night). 

Just because the small ball succeeded in moving 2 runs across doesn't mean it was a good decision. The HRs show what can happen when you let players swing away. Who sacrifice bunts with their lead-off hitter against a bum like Jurado?

And it just encourages Ricky to continue to do it

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Except for Jay.

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Garcia didn’t bunt , the run would have scored anyway. His bunt didn’t produce a run in any way. He would have scored  on the single,or  the first homer or the second homer. The first bunt may have produced a run, but if Jon Jay has to bunt in that situation, why is he in the team? Setting it up for Matt something most managers wont do. The only way you can say that was the proper move is if you are of the belief that it was very u nlikely Jon Jay would advance runner in any other way. Hitting is hard enough. Giving up outs in that situation is not good.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Never say no DP possible because people line into DP's or even other way's.  A k and runner thrown out trying to advance and i could name others. Gus your a good guy but I find it odd when people tell me because of the results such as HR's after the bunts that we were likely to hit this guy well no matter what, When people start telling me this before the games start that we will hit well against a certain pitcher or not hit against a certain pitcher I will start believing in psychic powers but telling me whats happening as it's happening is not a revelation.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If Garcia didn’t bunt , the run would have scored anyway. His bunt didn’t produce a run in any way. He would have scored  on the single,or  the first homer or the second homer. The first bunt may have produced a run, but if Jon Jay has to bunt in that situation, why is he in the team? Setting it up for Matt something most managers wont do. The only way you can say that was the proper move is if you are of the belief that it was very u nlikely Jon Jay cannot runner in any other way. Hitting is hard enough. Giving up outs in that situation is not good.

So you can tell me with certainty that when situations change outcomes remain the same ? You must have that green infinity stone.