The game thread

Southwest Sider

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Show me a team that’s insisting on doing the little things like bunting guys over and hitting behind runners and I show you a loser in 2019.

Sure with a line up and pitching that's bad of course they are going to lose. There is a place for self sacrifice on winning teams . Granted with a team full of good players maybe RR still does it and that's why we all want him gone. Many players get greeted in the dugout for hitting behind runners as if they got a hit.Everyone appreciates it even if we all don't.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Never say no DP possible because people line into DP's or even other way's.  A k and runner thrown out trying to advance and i could name others. Gus your a good guy but I find it odd when people tell me because of the results such as HR's after the bunts that we were likely to hit this guy well no matter what, When people start telling me this before the games start that we will hit well against a certain pitcher or not hit against a certain pitcher I will start believing in psychic powers but telling me whats happening as it's happening is not a revelation.

Ok fine, no double play remotely probable.

And you started this by complimenting the bunts because they worked, so you are using hindsight too.

But come on  Cali, this isn't us somehow putting a 4 spot on a cy young candidate. Jurado has been getting rocked consistently for months. Expected runs go way down when you sacrifice outs, and this is even more true for a guy who needs help to get them. No reason to be doing that early in a game, and I'm not going to compliment RR for getting 1 run when he plays for 1 run, especially when way more than 1 run is a real possibility. 

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure with a line up and pitching that's bad of course they are going to lose. There is a place for self sacrifice on winning teams . Granted with a team full of good players maybe RR still does it and that's why we all want him gone. Many players get greeted in the dugout for hitting behind runners as if they got a hit.Everyone appreciates it even if we all don't.

Granted with a better line up, maybe he doesn’t bunt. But....first off Detwiler is a guy you have to figure will give up runs, playing for one run at a time is curious. Plus the opposing pitcher gave up 41 runs  his last 41 innings pitched. You have to figure you have a shot at big innings.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sure, moving over a guy from second is a more desirable outcome than making an unproductive out, but the game has evolved into something completely different from a decade ago and good teams don‘t want their players to play small ball. Insisting on doing it, because it is the “right“ way to play puts you at a disadvantage against most teams. Look at the Dodgers, they don‘t shorten their swings at all just to move a runner, if it happens they‘ll take it, but they aren’t looking to do it.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The coolest part about yoan moncada is there are no comps for yoan moncada.

Robbie was more speed first, power second and elite 2nd base defense. 

Now that he moved to third there really isnt a comp.

He shall be the one by which others are judged!

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Granted with a better line up, maybe he doesn’t bunt. But....first off Detwiler is a guy you have to figure will give up runs, playing for one run at a time is curious. Plus the opposing pitcher gave up 41 runs  his last 41 innings pitched. You have to figure you have a shot at big innings.

Jurado also doesn’t strike out a lot of hitters, which makes bunting even less necessary 

Just to clarify stone's comment. Pitching is something kids do when they realize they cant hit, not the other way around. Pitchers are complete weirdos and some aren't even really baseball players lol

Like those weirdo submarine lefties. Theres no batter/position player equivalent of that nonsense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Detwiler has looked pretty okay over the last several starts.  Gives up a lot of solo shots, but I can live with that.  Nova and Detwiler, who would have thunk it?

Wonder if Detwiler and Nova have been coached a little by McCann.

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

RR is trolling everyone now with that bunt attempt by Engel. 

Engel might as well be a pitcher so it's ok. (Don't tell Ricky) 

He has a better chance of getting on base bunting than swinging away. 

Edited by Jack Parkman