The game thread

Southwest Sider

17 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Ok fine, no double play remotely probable.

And you started this by complimenting the bunts because they worked, so you are using hindsight too.

But come on  Cali, this isn't us somehow putting a 4 spot on a cy young candidate. Jurado has been getting rocked consistently for months. Expected runs go way down when you sacrifice outs, and this is even more true for a guy who needs help to get them. No reason to be doing that early in a game, and I'm not going to compliment RR for getting 1 run when he plays for 1 run, especially when way more than 1 run is a real possibility. 

No it wasn't hindsight it was just commenting that they worked this time. Would I have preferred he not bunt so early ? Yes but it's not like murderers row was coming up so I gave RR the benefit of the doubt that at least he did what he said in his comments which was he knows his players. More in that 1st situation that the 2nd one. This time it worked whereas others only choose to make fun of RR regardless of if it worked or not,

I know this is a gamethread and short and vindictive comments are par for the course and this is no place for actually baseball discussions but it just gets a little tiresome .

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I hope everyone appreciates how A.J. Pierzynski used to play the physically demanding position of Catcher day in and day out year after year.  He was an iron man.

And I ‘d like to add some appreciation for Ray Schalk as well.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I hope everyone appreciates how A.J. Pierzynski used to play the physically demanding position of Catcher day in and day out year after year.  He was an iron man.

he was a great starter in his prime.  helluva guy to have, always loved having him and like noah he was a guy the other team loved to hate and would often times over react to and get off their game.

24 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Sure, moving over a guy from second is a more desirable outcome than making an unproductive out, but the game has evolved into something completely different from a decade ago and good teams don‘t want their players to play small ball. Insisting on doing it, because it is the “right“ way to play puts you at a disadvantage against most teams. Look at the Dodgers, they don‘t shorten their swings at all just to move a runner, if it happens they‘ll take it, but they aren’t looking to do it.

Using the Dodgers as a comparable to the Sox hmmm. Look at what you said ,GOOD teams don't want their players to play small ball. Dodgers are a good team , the Sox aren't .The Dodgers top 5 HR's hitter have 122 combined HR's. They have 5 regulars with 3.0 b/WAR or better with Bellinger at 8.0.

Again I don't see much justification for bunting as much as he does either but they still have a lineup full of crud and Detwiler was just as likely to get lit up as Jurrado only he wasn't. I'm just happy it's been a good night all the way around tonight. Even with Jurrado being bad he's still in there .It's not like he is so bad the Sox hit him so hard he was forced from the game . One big inning and 2 small ones. I'll take 6 runs any way I can get them most nights.