More "Hahnspeak" on Robert/Madrigal/Collins coming up

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-prospect-luis-robert-in-callups-mix

From Merkin

“It's not about self-interest or self-preservation or to make anyone individually look good,” Hahn said. “It's about what's best for the long-term health of the organization.

“Again, there's a lot that goes into deciding it. At the end of the day, player development is fundamentally a baseball decision about putting a player in the best position to succeed, and that's what will carry the day with any decision to promote a player.”

Following that line of logic, Robert would benefit from a month of big league play as his fourth level jump this season especially if the White Sox considered themselves potential 2020 postseason contenders.

Hahn wouldn’t address the future contention part on Thursday, deferring that talk more to Spring Training after the team’s off-season moves are set. He added Robert still was learning valuable lessons at Triple-A.

“Even being in the pennant race alone, even what they're doing on a nightly basis, the battle to try to get into the postseason is a benefit to them,” Hahn said. “Eventually you balance that about what they're going to benefit from Chicago versus going through that and make a decision.”

“He's having a terrific season,” White Sox third baseman Yoán Moncada said of Robert, with the two playing together during Moncada’s injury rehab. “He's talented and we're all seeing that. I think he's ready. I think he's ready for this level. But he still needs to do the things that the team wants him to do.”

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't even know what the point of a team mouthpiece putting an article like this out would be...as obviously there's no point in bringing either of those two guys up after Charlotte's playoff runs at some point in early September.

Collins is another issue altogether.

Because someone asked Hahn what the plan for those guys was

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The way Collins was handled was the exact opposite of putting him in a position to succeed.

If you listen to the sox talk podcast that hahn was on, he explains the reasoning behind it and it makes sense. Obviously something worked because look at Collins now. Destroying the league.

Just because the organization makes decisions that don't make sense to us fans doesn't mean they are wrong. 

I'm sure there was a plan with Collins from the start before the called him up and I'm sure he knew how it was going to work. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The way Collins was handled was the exact opposite of putting him in a position to succeed.

If he was able to soak in some stuff from McCann and was also able to realize he needed to make some swing adjustments, I’d say it definitely put him in a position to succeed. 

6 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If you listen to the sox talk podcast that hahn was on, he explains the reasoning behind it and it makes sense. Obviously something worked because look at Collins now. Destroying the league.

Just because the organization makes decisions that don't make sense to us fans doesn't mean they are wrong. 

I'm sure there was a plan with Collins from the start before the called him up and I'm sure he knew how it was going to work. 

The problem is we still have no inkling if we can rely on Collins in the upcoming season, at the major league level.

The future FA catcher offerings the next two years are pretty barren, so it makes it incredibly difficult to know whether to be "all in" on Grandal or not.

In all likelihood, they'll think that 1B (Abreu) and catcher (McCann/Collins) and DH (Collins/platoon partner) are "covered" for 2020, and that MIGHT work out, but it's impossible to feel 100% confident about Collins despite his recent minor league tear.

Edited by caulfield12

45 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why would anyone still want Robert called up this season?

There's no point in expecting it anymore but however many games are left plus however many he misses at the beginning of the year before being called up are all games that can lead him to faster assimilation to ML pitching, At this point what is that 40 games or so if he started every game ? It's all probably moot anyway . The Sox don't want to win in 2020 otherwise they'd have brought him up already . And if they do happen to sign some productive FA's that keep us close to a playoff berth  while at the same time Robert struggles for his 1st 40 ish games I'll be here God willing to say "see they should've brought him up."

I know it's his 1st year being productive and injury free but seeing so many agree with Hahn is just nauseating. Have fun missing the playoffs again next year Hahn.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

He was called up when they were facing a lot of lefties, where either he was overmatched or on the bench. If they want to take credit for it being the reason he is hot now, that is quite a stretch.

Edited by Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really hope they aren’t planning to call up Robert & Madrigal.  Please don’t listen to those whiny SoxMachine b****es like Pnoles and stay the course.

The White Sox have REAL problems if they relent to "fan/online pressure" and bring up Robert and Madrigal now...

There is a tangible benefit for them to learn how to win together and experience playoff success, and it's outweighing any possible advantage they would have gained over bringing them up 2-3 weeks ago, so it's all pretty much a moot paint.

Except that Hahn really can't claim anything in Robert's development track that would be holding him back now...too many levels in one year, still needs to work on laying off low and away sliders, increase walk rate,  etc.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If he was able to soak in some stuff from McCann and was also able to realize he needed to make some swing adjustments, I’d say it definitely put him in a position to succeed. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He was called up when they were facing a lot of lefties, where either he was overmatched or on the bench. If they want to take credit for it being the reason he is hot now, that is quite a stretch.

See the quote above yours Dick Allen.

Not sure who "they" is,  but it could very well be the reason he is hot now

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox have REAL problems if they relent to "fan/online pressure" and bring up Robert and Madrigal now...

There is a tangible benefit for them to learn how to win together and experience playoff success, and it's outweighing any possible advantage they would have gained over bringing them up 2-3 weeks ago, so it's all pretty much a moot paint.

Except that Hahn really can't claim anything in Robert's development track that would be holding him back now...too many levels in one year, still needs to work on laying off low and away sliders, increase walk rate,  etc.

And on the other hand all those things he has to work on in AAA for the rest of the minor league season and the games before he is brought up next year are still likely to exist. It's not like he is going to start walking a bunch more in the MiLB playoffs. I rather have him adjusting to major league pitching . Remember even brought up now and continuing into next year is more games than him staying down and playing in the playoffs and also being down next year before they bring him up. Maybe it's approx the same depending how deep into the playoffs the Knights go. But one thing for sure , he is going to be swinging the bat in the playoffs not looking to walk.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What course is that again ?

IMO, the drop dead date to call up Robert & Madrigal was August 1st.  After that, I just don’t believe the benefit outweighs the cost of an extra year of team control.  Both guys will likely be fatigued come September and would face a ton of garbage pitching due to rosters expanding.  I just don’t view that as vital development experience.  

As for 2020, the Sox have 13 games in their first 16 days.  I wouldn’t be shocked if there are few rain-outs in the mix, so we’re talking about missing 11 to 12 games most likely.  While it would definitely suck not having them to start the season, I still don’t think it’s worth losing a year of team control in 2026.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why is it s stretch? They sent him down to work in specific things and he is implementing them with success. That can't be viewed as any but a success. 

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There is also a tangible benefit to experience the MLB for a month to have them better prepared for next year.

• Like 2