More "Hahnspeak" on Robert/Madrigal/Collins coming up

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The FO made that bed and must sleep in it. We gave them another chance to rebuild and that's fine. However, just because they got a chance doesn't mean they don't have to prove themselves and earn respect. They had a chance last year and blew it big time. I believe they will make us much better next year but I understand why fans are hesitant to blindly follow them. 

I don't disagree. But getting up in arms about every sound bite is pointless. His words mean nothing, just like every executive of every billion dollar organization in the world. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m more intrigued at what caused Merkin to post that particular tweet

I am wondering if it may be since there are no trades, they may release a couple of guys so they can perhaps finish the season out with a contender. It would have to happen pretty soon so they would have time to find a team to be eligible for the playoffs.

Nothing better than when people get mad at the team for not showing some over the top level of confidence about signing major FA's this offseason after they just did exactly that and faced immense criticism for not getting it done.

I may be wrong and ignorant, but I think the White Sox make some massive splashes this off season and put themselves back on the national stage. For many who call this a mid market team - rightfully so based on the past 12 years - forget that there was a time, recently, in which this team had national recognition (whether it was being the team featured in movies or pop culture) in the 1990's more than all but 3-4 teams. If this team wins and wins a lot, they will become a revenue gold mine and return to the heyday of national attention and recognition. This is as big an opportunity, if not bigger, as this team has had to catapult itself back into the upper echelon of baseball teams and market since their World Series title. They did not capitalize on that opportunity before but I'd be shocked if they don't attempt to get there with this group of talent. Only time will tell, but white sox fans should be cautiously optimistic and excited about the potential direction of this organization. They may not become the Astros but if they're even close, their profits would dwarf that of the Astros.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@CaliSoxFanViaSWside this is exactly what I’m talking about.  I wish the on-field product was better too, but I’m definitely not calling them up right now for short-term entertainment purposes.  

Nothing personal @Roofshot, but this is just a crazy line of thinking and the value you get out of watching a slightly better team miss the playoffs in 2019 in worth absolutely nothing.

Nothing personal either, but you and the other guy who responded don't quite get what I'm talking about.  Its crazy to want to watch a great, we hope, ballplayer come up and play for our team?  Im about to turn 50 and just beat cancer  for the 2nd time. I don't care about 7 years from now frankly. My old man is 71 and watches most every game, im sure hes not to worried about 7 years from now either. You might be young, idk, and life looks long, but theres no guarantee you'll be around in 7 years either. Sorry I don't mean to get all philosophical on a baseball message board, but you see where im coming from? I just do not understand the modern baseball fan I guess.  I cant grasp not wanting to see this guy in Chicago so the Reinsdorfs can save millions years from now. To me that's crazy. I get a lot of joy, pleasure, whatever the word watching baseball. But you say theres no value in that, its worth nothing? I guess we look at life a lot differently. ..Again, nothing personal. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it has nothing to do with confidence.  I think Hahn learned his lesson.  What benefit is he going to get from coming out saying "Yeah, we'll be competing in 2020.  Just wait until we we spend half a billion this offseason!  We'll get our ace.  We'll get a left handed masher in RF or 1B.  Don't you worry Sox fans!". Not sure what you want him to say.  I actually read the "let's talk in Glendale" comment as a sign of confidence.  But not surprised to see many read it the other way.  

By confidence I'm not talking about what he says at all. I am talking about what is done or in this case not done. If they want to compete in 2020 then he should have been brought up be it June 1st ,July 1st, or August1 1st. My main point is you don't go into battle without one of your serious weapons. I realize it's only a handful of games but if he struggles at 1st like Moncada and Eloy then it becomes however long it takes him to adjust . I was just hoping he could get adjusted this year but he may be a guy who doesn't struggle much. I'm certainly hoping for that now. I'd put Madrigal in the same boat though he is not the weapon Robert is but still possibly better than anyone currently in the mix.

I look forward to the off season but just don't think the Sox have their hearts or wallet into doing what's necessary to compete next year. This constant need to look at the distant future such as they did when KW gave his reasons for missing out on Machado seems like the exact same thing when anyone talks about 2026. They haven't shown me anything to think they can have sustained success but I'd gladly take a 3-5 year window that has a reasonable chance at a World Championship opening  next year.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, beautox said:

why does everyone have a hard on for locking McCann up long term, post ASB he has been the definition of a back up catcher. Sign Grandal or give Collins the opportunity to show he can't catch. Everyone use to talk about how "bad" flowers was defensively until one day he wasn't and was one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

image.png

I hope we sign Grandal and bring up Collins.  Additionally I would for sure what McCann on an extended basis.  That combination gives lots of catching / lineup versatility and in particular solves a glaring DH problem.  It might also lead to pitcher / catcher combo relationships much like the Gio / McCann relationship which has developed this season.