More "Hahnspeak" on Robert/Madrigal/Collins coming up

caulfield12

6 hours ago, Roofshot said:

Because we enjoy watching baseball, and want to see him play. Theres actually "value" in that. 

Not really. The front office doesn't and shouldn't give a damn about short term wants of some fans. They're doing what is better for the future. 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh gotcha . I was starting to feel alone here thinking I was the only one who still wanted them( Robert and Madrigal along with Yermin Collins Mendick) up asap. I know it's still against what a lot of knowledgeable posters here think but in my own defense I think I am just as knowledgeable and it's nice to see my opinion backed up by Fegan when some of the guys who want them (Robert and Madrigal) kept down are very arrogant in their views like it's the only smart thing to do.

I mean, I don't disagree with keeping them down. I'm on that side. But I actually believe they believe they will be competitive next year and saying that they won't be is just a bs reason to keep him down. Remember, they did make some bad signings in years they thought they were going to be competitive (granted, they thought the player wasn't going to bad). So while I think they will be aggressive for sure, I can't speak to the quality of who they sign.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

No, I'm saying he believes it but he has just always been extremely pessimistic. He'll hear a quote and spin it in the most negative way possible. It's just his writing style

Maybe he would be more positive when he see signs that the Sox are doing things to make sustained success a reality . The rebuild is almost over and those things should've started 3 years ago.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I mean, I don't disagree with keeping them down. I'm on that side. But I actually believe they believe they will be competitive next year and saying that they won't be is just a bs reason to keep him down. Remember, they did make some bad signings in years they thought they were going to be competitive. So while I think they will be aggressive for sure, I can't speak to the quality of who they sign.

Ah ok so I'm back to me and Parkman lol. But I do now have Fegan on my side.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I do think Mendick and Yermin should have been up a while ago. Already old for prospects and at-bats are going to be hard to come by going forward (unless there are injuries).

Collins should be getting at-bats as well but would probably be hard getting him and Yermin every day at bats in a scenario they are both up.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've accepted they're not bringing them up until next year. I do think they'll give Collins another look. I still think they should have been called up on 8/1. I now waver because it is so late in the season and I agree with September being iffy because of roster expansion. At this point, I see both sides of the argument but I think we've passed the point of no return. I disagree with that decision, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They moved up first deposits for season tickets a couple of months this year. Makes me wonder what they are worried about.

That seems easy enough.They are worried about Reinsdorf's risk aversion to signing guys especially starting pitchers to long term/expensive deals and his owner protection clauses that top FA don't want to deal with.

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The possibility of a 3 year contract extension with McCann would be a lot better...or an announcement about discussions with Giolito kicking off in the off-season.

why does everyone have a hard on for locking McCann up long term, post ASB he has been the definition of a back up catcher. Sign Grandal or give Collins the opportunity to show he can't catch. Everyone use to talk about how "bad" flowers was defensively until one day he wasn't and was one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

image.png

11 minutes ago, beautox said:

why does everyone have a hard on for locking McCann up long term, post ASB he has been the definition of a back up catcher. Sign Grandal or give Collins the opportunity to show he can't catch. Everyone use to talk about how "bad" flowers was defensively until one day he wasn't and was one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

image.png

I don't wish they lock him up but he did start the post All Star games in a big slump. However he rebounded very nicely from that In the last 30 games he is at .278/.323/.467/.790 including 2 grand slams. In the last 7 games he is at .304/.333/.696/1.029 .

In August he is at .333/.380/.591/.971

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't wish they lock him up but he did start the post All Star games in a big slump. However he rebounded very nicely from that In the last 30 games he is at .278/.323/.467/.790 including 2 grand slams. In the last 7 games he is at .304/.333/.696/1.029 .

I'm just saying the calls for locking him up are silly, he still has 1 more year of ARB, play it by ear if he is crushing it up till next ASB sure but until then its just silly. He is more in line with his career then the outlier that was his first half.

4 minutes ago, beautox said:

I'm just saying the calls for locking him up are silly, he still has 1 more year of ARB, play it by ear if he is crushing it up till next ASB sure but until then its just silly. He is more in line with his career then the outlier that was his first half.

They might be silly I agree with that but he's had one bad month and 5 good ones. To say because of that one bad month he is more in line with his career stats is just not true. For all of Agust he is hitting as well if not better than the 1st half.

I'm only in favor of a McCann extension if it reasonably cheap. Even if the bat regresses, he still works really well with the pitchers behind the plate. It does kind of limit Collins value though unless you give him a new opportunity as the starting 1B next year, with some spot starts behind the plate and getting DH at bats.

Collins getting 40-50 starts behind the plate, 40-50 starts at 1b, and 40-50 starts at DH gives him close to 500 at bats, mostly against right-handed pitching.  If he hits, that’s a valuable player.  Might not even have to carry three catchers.  Right now, McCann is not blocking Collins, Matt Skole is.  Well, and what’s left of Welington Castillo.

Edited by Timmy U

18 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Collins getting 40-50 starts behind the plate, 40-50 starts at 1b, and 40-50 starts at DH gives him close to 500 at bats, mostly against right-handed pitching.  If he hits, that’s a valuable player.  Might not even have to carry three catchers.  Right now, McCann is not blocking Collins, Matt Skole is.  Well, and what’s left of Welington Castillo.

I was saying his "natuaral" position is blocked.

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not true. I pick and choose carefully what I complain about. I don't think i am viewed as a complainer . I just have reasons I think sustained success is a mirage and more emphasis was put on winning asap and less emphasis put on 2026.

I also have to question why it's the people who want them up who are complaining when I could say the same about your view but I choose to acknowledge both sides have valid reasons for wanting things the way they do.

I wouldn't really group you in with that crowd though.  Almost specifically stated as much. 

I get wanting to put the best possible product on the field today, but the trade-off is 100% not worth it at this point.  If you were going to bring up Robert in mid June - fine.  But now, it would just be so shortsighted for a rebuilding club.  When 2026 rolls around and Robert just signed a $400 million contact to player for the Red Sox, we're going to pretty damn disappointed he's not leading the White Sox to the playoffs in his final year before FA because the Sox were impatient and called him up for 100 at bats in September 2019 on a 70 win team.  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice to see this addressed by Fegan even if I can't read it, Just by what it says in the title is exactly what I've been getting at. The Sox aren't saying 2020 is a contending year and probably don't have a lot of confidence then that they will sign impactful Free Agents otherwise calling Robert and Madrigal up wouldve made a lot of sense. Whereas here many are expecting the Sox to contend but still want them kept down.

If I am wrong about the contend of the article based on the title I'm sure someone will tell me.

I think it has nothing to do with confidence.  I think Hahn learned his lesson.  What benefit is he going to get from coming out saying "Yeah, we'll be competing in 2020.  Just wait until we we spend half a billion this offseason!  We'll get our ace.  We'll get a left handed masher in RF or 1B.  Don't you worry Sox fans!". Not sure what you want him to say.  I actually read the "let's talk in Glendale" comment as a sign of confidence.  But not surprised to see many read it the other way.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it has nothing to do with confidence.  I think Hahn learned his lesson.  What benefit is he going to get from coming out saying "Yeah, we'll be competing in 2020.  Just wait until we we spend half a billion this offseason!  We'll get our ace.  We'll get a left handed masher in RF or 1B.  Don't you worry Sox fans!". Not sure what you want him to say.  I actually read the "let's talk in Glendale" comment as a sign of confidence.  But not surprised to see many read it the other way.  

This was a question that people were going to jump all over no matter what he said. There are people already mad about the offseason and it's August. 

"We are going to compete next year" - Lol prove it douchebag

"We'll see how it goes" - Wow, more typical non-committal can kicking

"We think we need more time" - This one may have actually been worth wasting energy on. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beautox said:

image.png

why wouldn't you want to lock up McCann?  On the flip side why do people have a hard on for signing Grandal when the chances of that happening are probably slim...and none. It's like your dating a pretty hot chick...then you get googly eyes for a hotter chick only to miss out on both of them. I just don't get this thinking.  McCann brings so much to this team in terms of handling the staff...and in the clubhouse. His bat is an added bonus.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

This was a question that people were going to jump all over no matter what he said. There are people already mad about the offseason and it's August. 

"We think we need more time" - This one may have actually been worth wasting energy on. 

Exactly. You two have been nailing it with your posts lately

1 hour ago, beautox said:

image.png

You're mistaking being a very good receiver with being one of the best defensive catchers in the game. Flowers is not one of the best defensive catchers in the game. He has slow pop times, and his lateral movement is poor. He has soft hands though.

If Hahn doesn't call up Robert then he is essentially a liar. Robert forced our hands big time and it won't matter. That being said, I wanted Robert called up August 1st, and if that didn't happen, just leave him be. Robert will probably only miss 7 games next year due to rainout, but having that early experience would have really benefited him. 2026 is not nearly as important as 2020, as we may be wasting a year of Giolito's and Moncada's prime seasons with us. 

1 hour ago, mqr said:

The FO made that bed and must sleep in it. We gave them another chance to rebuild and that's fine. However, just because they got a chance doesn't mean they don't have to prove themselves and earn respect. They had a chance last year and blew it big time. I believe they will make us much better next year but I understand why fans are hesitant to blindly follow them.