Tax day 2020

zisk

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I want the gun fully loaded from the start of the season and having them up this year is just a way to get the ammo as ready as it can be so it can be more explosive the second it is fired.

I agree completely and I believe they will call up Robert, Collins and Mendick in September. Madrigal next year. It would be wise for marketing, free agent recruiting and the players for next year.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cornball said:

I agree completely and I believe they will call up Robert, Collins and Mendick in September. Madrigal next year. It would be wise for marketing, free agent recruiting and the players for next year.

I think most forum members would be in complete shock (including me) if Robert is up in September and many would be calling the Sox idiotic for A) if they waited this long why not wait until they get the extra year  and B) if they were going to bring him up it should've been earlier. Collins and Mendick (maybe) will be up but not sure when since Charlotte should be in the playoff and that matters to the Sox to some degree.

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Yolmer shouldn’t get more than $2m and for that kind of money I am not opposed to bringing him back. $6m though gets you a decent middle reliever which the Sox definitely need more than a utility infielder.

100% this.  If Yolmer wants more than $2M or so, then Goins & Mendick can compete for the backup IF job next year.

8 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Yolmer shouldn’t get more than $2m and for that kind of money I am not opposed to bringing him back. $6m though gets you a decent middle reliever which the Sox definitely need more than a utility infielder.

My guess is Yolmer gets 3-4 million from us.  We gave Jay 4 million and Yolmer is at least that valuable.

12 hours ago, oldsox said:

If Yolmer goes to arbitration, he won't get a pay cut.

Arbitration is not an option for Yolmer.  Sox will release him much like they did Avi.  Unlike Avi...they will resign him in the neighborhood of 3-4 million.  Yolmer is not as bad as some here make him out to be.  Just got expensive for what he is.

16 hours ago, oldsox said:

If Yolmer goes to arbitration, he won't get a pay cut.

I think Sox offer him a take it leave it $2.5-$3M 1 year deal.  Take it or you'll be nontendered - because as you said, he isn't getting a pay cut via arb. 

Yolmer is a major leaguer (ie: even if Sox cut him, he'll be in MLB next season), but he's also incredibly replaceable. 

Edited by ChiSox59

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Arbitration is not an option for Yolmer.  Sox will release him much like they did Avi.  Unlike Avi...they will resign him in the neighborhood of 3-4 million.  Yolmer is not as bad as some here make him out to be.  Just got expensive for what he is.

Yes he is bad. He’s one of the worst hitters in baseball since he’s come up. It’s time to move on and stop accepting such mediocrity. 

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Not to be a prick, but this isn't really how the process will work.  If Yolmer is going to stay with the Sox, he'll sign a 1 year deal before being non-tendered (what you called released).  I suppose its possible the Sox non-tender him and then he ends up resigning with them a month or two later when he realizes he isn't getting paid more elsewhere, but thats unlikely.

He'll either take a 1 year at reduced rate with the Sox BEFORE getting non-tendered or he'll get non-tendered. Or worst case sceneario, Sox let him go the arb and pay him at least 2x what he's really worth.  

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not to be a prick, but this isn't really how the process will work.  If Yolmer is going to stay with the Sox, he'll sign a 1 year deal before being non-tendered (what you called released).  I suppose its possible the Sox non-tender him and then he ends up resigning with them a month or two later when he realizes he isn't getting paid more elsewhere, but thats unlikely.

He'll either take a 1 year at reduced rate with the Sox BEFORE getting non-tendered or he'll get non-tendered. Or worst case sceneario, Sox let him go the arb and pay him at least 2x what he's really worth.  

My point of view is he will not go to arbitration but be released (non tendered).  Just like Avi.  The difference is I expect him to be resigned in the 3-4 million range after he is declared a free agent.  The process might take a month or two...or perhaps a day or two.  Arbitration would pay  Yolmer 6+ million and I'm sure his advisors know that isn't going to happen.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

My point of view is he will not go to arbitration but be released (non tendered).  Just like Avi.  The difference is I expect him to be resigned in the 3-4 million range after he is declared a free agent.  The process might take a month or two...or perhaps a day or two.  Arbitration would pay  Yolmer 6+ million and I'm sure his advisors know that isn't going to happen.

If that is the case, why wouldn't he just agree to a 1 year deal at a lesser value ($3-4M as you said) instead of non-tendering him?  

I kind of just want Yolmer gone.  He's a passable player and has a great glove (other than that awful first week of this season), but I just worry about the Sox overusing the guy if he is around.  I'd rather just move on. 

On 8/28/2019 at 11:59 AM, ChiSox59 said:

If that is the case, why wouldn't he just agree to a 1 year deal at a lesser value ($3-4M as you said) instead of non-tendering him?  

I kind of just want Yolmer gone.  He's a passable player and has a great glove (other than that awful first week of this season), but I just worry about the Sox overusing the guy if he is around.  I'd rather just move on. 

He is a good utility infielder but has gotten expensive.  Would Avi have taken a pay cut without first testing the waters?  Whatever they decide works OK for me.  He no longer serves much purpose since he is not a better defender than those he would replace in late innings, etc.