Jose Rodriguez potential sox hidden gem?

SoxAce

I decided to create a thread about this kid and have some fun with it. Now bare with me, been doing this long enough to not get caught up in lower level numbers (seen alot of guys flame out covering and watching minor league players for years) but I really like what he's been doing and as a guy only listed 5'11, 175 pounds, the power is very intriguing. In no way am I saying he is nowhere near these guys as a level of a prospect, but just comparing the year he's having with the 2 guys listed who I just happen to glance at and compare in the same league from this past draft and a former Sox farmhand. Again, development is linear for different guys, but it speaks to the year he's having.

AZL

Jose Rodriguez (age 18) G 42, PA 189, R 26, (49/177 ABs) 2B 5, 3B 3, HR 9, RBI 26, BB 9, SO 42, SB 6 CS 1 (.277/.316/.492/.807 wRC+ 114, wOBA .365)

Bobby Witt Jr. (age 19) G 33, PA 161, R 25, (39/149 ABs) 2B 2, 3B 4, HR 1, RBI 23, BB 11, SO 32, SB 8, CS 1 (.262/.311/.349/.660 wRC+ 83, wOBA .312) 

Fernando Tatis Jr. (age 17) G 43, PA 188, R 35, (48/176 ABs) 2B 13, 3B 1, HR 4, RBI 20, BB 10, SO 44, SB 14, CS 2 (.273/.312/.426/.738 wRC+ 108, wOBA .341)

Again, not saying he is anywhere near the level of these two guys (nor saying he will develop like Tatis did or what Witt Jr. is projected to be) but it's interesting to see how close the numbers are with him. Witt Jr. is a full year older and Tatis Jr. was 8 months younger at the time.

At this point the Padres promoted Tatis Jr. to low A to finish out his season. AZL Sox are already eliminated from playoff contention (I believe Great Falls are like 2 or 3 games from getting eliminated themselves). Not saying Getz and company should promote Rodriguez to low A (although they play more games down the stretch), but I would like to see him in Great Falls at least to finish out the year.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

In no way am I saying he is nowhere near these guys as a level of a prospect, but just comparing the year he's having with the 2 guys listed who I just happen to glance at and compare in the same league from this past draft and a former Sox farmhand.

So you're saying he's somewhat near those guys' level as a prospect?

I kid, I kid. Thanks for starting this thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't know of last time we had an 18 year old with an iso that high as an 18 year old in AZ. Funny enough it beats Courtney Hawkins who had a .129 iso in AZ . Hawkins k rate was only 23%, that's funny.

Wish we had more industry hubub on him to know if there's some fatal flaw.

He clearly faded last year and was on a terrible team. This year he's had a second wind in August. Interested to see if we get any info from the instructs games in late sept.

• Like 1