Game Thread 08/23/19 - Players Weekend and Cease Day - Rangers @ Sox

BackDoorBreach

10 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Control wise, yes.

Cease is striking out more guys than Giolito did. 

Yes, he's striking out more guys but I was talking more command/one bad inning stuff. Giolito struck out more guys in the 2nd half last year than he did in the 1st half. I'm talking about July-September 2018 Giolito not the guy who completely sucked and couldn't miss bats prior to the ASB.

By late August you could see how Giolito was going to get significantly better this year regardless of of whether or not he shortened his arm swing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, he's striking out more guys but I was talking more command/one bad inning stuff. Giolito struck out more guys in the 2nd half last year. I'm talking about July-September 2018 Giolito not the guy who completely sucked prior to the ASB. 

No he did not (Gio was at 8.0 per 9 in the second half. Cease before this game at 8.4 per) 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

No he did not (Gio was at 8.0 per 9 in the second half. Cease before this game at 8.4 per) 

I was comparing Giolito's 1st half to 2nd half there. I edited the post for clarification. I wasn't comparing him to Cease except post 2018 ASB. 8.0 is pretty close to 8.4. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And guess what?  This is what happens when people have a koosh job for life and are tight with their boss.

There is no threat of him losing his job so he can just coast.

You guys are assuming a lot. He's a lifer in MLB. If the Sox fired him he'd get a job within a week or so.

45 minutes ago, Quin said:

I kind of wish they rotated a different throwback each Sunday. They have enough different ones that they could do it.

The Reds essentially did that this year. Sox should have done that for their 100th anniversary. Maybe they'll do it for birthday 125.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

God Jay is slow. Makes no sense that play should've been that close.

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How is Jon Jay so slow lol

I'm not a Jay fan by any means, but I don't remember him being this slow in prior years when he played elsewhere.

Remember, the reason he was on the IL for most of the season was due to a bad hip injury.  I wonder if it just never completely healed and/or it healed but he'll never return to where he was prior to the injury.  Just a thought.