Game Thread 08/23/19 - Players Weekend and Cease Day - Rangers @ Sox

BackDoorBreach

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox might not lose another game this year at this rate.

That is a joke I know but would most posters here be happy if the Sox went on a huge run and finished close to .500 or be upset with the lower draft pick?

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

That is a joke I know but would most posters here be happy if the Sox went on a huge run and finished close to .500 or be upset with the lower draft pick?

I'm happy either way. Both scenarios have their pros and cons. If they go on a run it could help sell a marquee FA to join the Sox this winter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Yeah, the Padres are more talented in the lower minors, but as far as big league talent goes not reallly.

Yup. Most of their top studs are 20 and younger. They got a great future but are still likely 3-4 years away. 

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Winning is more fun than losing for me.  Getting a nice preview of what next year will look like.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Winning is more fun than losing for me.  Getting a nice preview of what next year will look like.

I'm with you Poppy but I'm also the guy would will be watching every pitch of game 160 when they are down 8-2 and 19 games out ☺️

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I'm with you Poppy but I'm also the guy would will be watching every pitch of game 160 when they are down 8-2 and 19 games out ☺️

Yeah...I know the feeling.  I'm smart enough to know when watching game 160 of bad baseball...in just a few days it will be gone for months and months.  It's a long winter between games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

Not me I spent more time last year watching the Dash and Barons.  Right now Charlotte is on a run and probably watch them more than the Sox because some of those guys on Charlotte wont be there next year and you rarely get to see Charlotte in post season bid.

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d prefer a huge run and the #14 pick than staying the course and their current #9 slot

Hey, Dylan Covey was a #14 pick!!...never mind not a good argument for going on a late season run 

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I've never wanted to lose and was against tanking so I want to win baby, win!

8 hours ago, wegner said:

Time to finish closer to .500. Let these kids start tasting winning and getting closer to play meaningfull games. Let them learn to play spoiler and have fun with it. Have them learn this team ain't gonna be a doormat for other teams and that they are coming for you

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If we played the Padres we'd probably say the same about how far behind we are. 

Looking at the individual statistics, the Padres should be a better team than they are. They have 5 effective starting pitchers, 3 effective relievers, and only 2 or 3 holes in the lineup.
The Sox need to concentrate on starting pitching in the offseason.  Yea Grandal is a better catcher than McCann...but this team has basically 2 sure starters doing into next season.

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Looking at the individual statistics, the Padres should be a better team than they are. They have 5 effective starting pitchers, 3 effective relievers, and only 2 or 3 holes in the lineup.
The Sox need to concentrate on starting pitching in the offseason.  Yea Grandal is a better catcher than McCann...but this team has basically 2 sure starters doing into next season.

The Padres best player by fWAR this season after Tatis is their closer. They have decent depth and a higher payroll but no real standouts after Tatis. The Sox currently lack depth, severely, but have a few stars with a few more on the way next season (both internally and externally I hope). Padres have to hope for additional internal stars to emerge or trades because they already blew their load in free agency with Hosmer and Machado. Unlike the Padres, the Sox have a ton of payroll flexibility heading into this offseason.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/2020/

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE