Fangraphs and Luis Robert

Look at Ray Ray Run

This may be the most egregious stubbornness ever by a public scouting department. 

As the year comes to a close and their final scouting adjustments have been made, Robert has maintained his 30 game power grade. To put this in perspective Nick Madrigals game power grade right now is a 40. It is one of the most stubborn stances I've seen and their rationale is comically bad.

Luis Robert remains behind Cristian pache by a full FV level as a CF prospect despite being only 1 year older, and performing 70% better offensively and grading out/projecting to be a top tier defensive CF'er. Fangraphs has not moved Robert a single ranking (he remains as their 20th prospect) despite having not just the loudest tools in MiLB but also the loudest production while being young for his level. 

All you can do is laugh at the stubbornness at this point.

Fangraphs have spoken and all you guys saying Madrigal has no power, you are wrong! He has more power currently than Luis Robert.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This may be the most egregious stubbornness ever by a public scouting department. 

As the year comes to a close and their final scouting adjustments have been made, Robert has maintained his 30 game power grade. To put this in perspective Nick Madrigals game power grade right now is a 40. It is one of the most stubborn stances I've seen and their rationale is comically bad.

Luis Robert remains behind Cristian pache by a full FV level as a CF prospect despite being only 1 year older, and performing 70% better offensively and grading out/projecting to be a top tier defensive CF'er. Fangraphs has not moved Robert a single ranking (he remains as their 20th prospect) despite having not just the loudest tools in MiLB but also the loudest production while being young for his level. 

All you can do is laugh at the stubbornness at this point.

Fangraphs have spoken and all you guys saying Madrigal has no power, you are wrong! He has more power currently than Luis Robert.

Ray Ray...your alias (Rational Fan) is spot on. Normally I agree with the boys but they are either being stubborn or lazy. Either way, great job calling them out.

7 minutes ago, daggins said:

They've already explained why they aren't as high on him as others. I think the numerical score is just an artifact from before the season. He's a very volatile prospect and the ranking reflects that. Ultimately, it doesn't matter.

Nah, they've upgraded individual grades for players throughout the season. They have maintained their power grade by choice.

And there reasoning was... well lewis brinson who is also dark skinned and athletic and did cool things in the minors isn't good so Robert isn't either. 

Brinson never had a year like Robert has had though and literally downgrading a prospect because another human being had good tools and failed is one of the dumbest rationales ever. Players are unique. Lewis Brinsons outcome has nothing to do with Robert's.  Prospects of all kinds of abilities and skills have failed. Some elite walk/k rate guys were complete trash. Some elite contact guys with good defense were trash. 

Robert started the year exactly where he ended it for fangraphs, 20th. Which is absurd unless they expected him to go 35/45 with an ops over 1000 and a 165 wRC+. He was an unknown to start the year.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Ray Ray...your alias (Rational Fan) is spot on. Normally I agree with the boys but they are either being stubborn or lazy. Either way, great job calling them out.

You got it. I've done some pieces there in the past as well under the community. I've had communication about this throughout this year and it honestly just comes down to stubbornness. 

As I said, he finished the year where he started it according to them - with zero bumps or improvements in grades... yet coming into the year he was a big unknown who hadn't produced stateside. Now he's been, arguably, the best player in minor league baseball. It just doesn't jive with me.

Maybe it's like the original Civilization games, where Gandhi is so passive off the bat that if he becomes more passive, it broke the game and he became a power hungry warlord.

Luis Robert is so weak that he can hit BOMBS off the top off scoreboards, because it just skips the field of the play.

• Like 1

The silliest thing to me is that his speed grade hasn't budged at all either. He had the fastest sprint speed in the AFL and in the Futures Game and he can't even get bumped to a 70. That's just ignoring empirical data for no reason. It's absurd to me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nah, they've upgraded individual grades for players throughout the season. They have maintained their power grade by choice.

And there reasoning was... well lewis brinson who is also dark skinned and athletic and did cool things in the minors isn't good so Robert isn't either

Brinson never had a year like Robert has had though and literally downgrading a prospect because another human being had good tools and failed is one of the dumbest rationales ever. Players are unique. Lewis Brinsons outcome has nothing to do with Robert's.  Prospects of all kinds of abilities and skills have failed. Some elite walk/k rate guys were complete trash. Some elite contact guys with good defense were trash. 

Robert started the year exactly where he ended it for fangraphs, 20th. Which is absurd unless they expected him to go 35/45 with an ops over 1000 and a 165 wRC+. He was an unknown to start the year.

Yeah, lets make something racially based that clearly is not with an orginization that regularly ranks "dark skinned" baseball players.  Give me a fucking break.

Ill edit this too.  If you want to virtue signal about garbage racially biased takes go to Reddit.  You'll get like 1000 upvotes.  This is not the first time I have seen you say something as dumb as this about race.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah, lets make something racially based that clearly is not with an orginization that regularly ranks "dark skinned" baseball players.  Give me a fucking break.

Ill edit this too.  If you want to virtue signal about garbage racially biased takes go to Reddit.  You'll get like 1000 upvotes.  This is not the first time I have seen you say something as dumb as this about race.

One is Latin and the other black. Those arent the same races. Besides that, great point there einstein.

In the sports comp world, people of similar skin color seem to always be comped to each other.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

One is Latin and the other black. Those arent the same races. Besides that, great point there einstein.

In the sports comp world, people of similar skin color seem to always be comped to each other.

Whether BDB likes it or not, Probably half the people on the planet do that kind of thing. Sorting people by race, creed or religion saves lazy

folks time. It also lets hate filled mooks think about others as less than human.

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Whether BDB likes it or not, Probably half the people on the planet do that kind of thing. Sorting people by race, creed or religion saves lazy

folks time. It also lets hate filled mooks think about others as less than human.

My Uber driver sorting his car by color definitely saves me some time.  

12 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If you're going to tell me Fangraphs is comparing Brinson to LuBob because of their skin color you are ignorant at the least.  

If you're going to tell me that the human brain doesn't leverage object color, at least subconscious level, while making comparisons, then you're stubbornly ignoring the outcome of all scientific research on the subject.   And that would make you ignorant.

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

"Latino" isn't really a race actually, Latin people can be black (african slaves), white (spanish colonialists) or native latin american or any mix of those.

Most Cubans are actually african because cuba had slaves like the US.

But I agree that the race comp thing is stupid (like any white tall guy who can shoot 3s is compared to Dirk Nowitzki or any fast athletic black guy to other fast black guys)

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

"Latino" isn't really a race actually, Latin people can be black (african slaves), white (spanish descent) or native latin american or any mix of those.

Most Cubans are actually african because cuba had slaves like the US.

But I agree that the race comp thing is stupid (like any white tall guy who can shoot 3s is compared to Dirk Nowitzki or any fast athletic black guy to other fast black guys)

Eh, i don't think it's really stupid. There are similarities among people who are inherantly from certain parts of the world. Northern white Europeans are going to have a lot of the same physical attributes as other northern white Europeans. Same as Africans, central Americans, and so on. I can see why people do it. White guys look like other white guys and black guys look like other black guys...

• 5 months later...