Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
greg775

Getting robbed/what has come of society, etc?

Recommended Posts

Since I live in a smaller town, I've always been not so concerned about getting robbed. I've just never thought of myself and my stuff being in constant danger. I wanted to share this quick story and ask you a.) if I am a chump and deserved to get robbed and b.) ask you to share stories to make me feel better about stuff that's been taken from individuals and it's not just me being a loser.

Quickly: I was at a laundromat cause I like to do laundry in modern laundromats but nobody happened to be in there. I did my laundry and there's a restroom in there. I went to the restroom and came out and my laptop was gone from where I was working. All that information gone cause I forgot to turn on the backup and forgot to turn on the "find my laptop." it really shook me up as I needed to hustle and get a laptop the next day, etc. Cops came out to laundromat, had the guy on film but nobody has captured him or recognized him. Bums me out that I was so f-----g stupid to go to the bathroom for one minute and not realize some a-----e might steal my stuff. 

My question to you: Do you EVER leave your stuff unattended. Do you consider me the biggest chump ever in leaving it sit there for 1 minute? Have you ever had your house broken into or a car stolen or a wallet or ? Any stories to make me feel better about me being a total idiot in leaving my stuff unattended?

Thank you and feel free to be brutal on me if that is your true feeling. I can take it and me being so stupid really has inconvenienced me, losing so much stuff.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed in a US military hotel in Munich when I was 13. We had an early flight to catch, so we were moving stuff out to the car at 3 or 4 in the morning. I placed my dad's laptop bag in the hallway and then went back into the room to get more stuff. I was in there for no more than 30 seconds. I came back, the hallway was empty, and the bag (with computer) was never seen again. Old man works in software, so he was fucking pissed. Still wonder where the hell the bag went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make you feel better, Greg: 

Halloween weekend in college, came home from a party, and being a few drinks in, was quickly soon asleep. Fast forward a few hours and my roommates dog (a few months old at this point) is barking. She was sleeping in a crate in the hallway between our bedrooms (upstairs), because my roommate wasn't home. Since I was sleeping off the drinks and because the dog barked every night, I figure what the hell, she's just antsier than usual.

In the morning I get a text from my roommate, now home, asking where her liquor bottles were at. I was confused, so I got dressed and came downstairs and saw that my TV, PS4 and all of my PS4/PS3 games were missing (she thought I brought them to my friend's apartment, which we occasionally did). 

Turns out that we had forgotten to lock our patio door / put the block of wood in the door that prevents the sliding door from opening. So in the middle of the night some guys slipped the door open and rummaged through the downstairs. 

 

Now, as for what has come of society:

People have always been shits Greg. Since the concept of owning stuff came about, people have stolen stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Sir said:

I stayed in a US military hotel in Munich when I was 13. We had an early flight to catch, so we were moving stuff out to the car at 3 or 4 in the morning. I placed my dad's laptop bag in the hallway and then went back into the room to get more stuff. I was in there for no more than 30 seconds. I came back, the hallway was empty, and the bag (with computer) was never seen again. Old man works in software, so he was fucking pissed. Still wonder where the hell the bag went.

Holy bleep. 30 seconds. Just like my story. Only for some reason they didn't take my computer bag which surprises me cause with all those compartments there could have been valuable stuff in there. That was a minor blessing they didn't take it cause I have a lot of intstructions and passwords and travel stuff in there. Cant really figure why they didn't want the computer bag w/the puter. Just quick theft of the computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quin said:

To make you feel better, Greg: 

Halloween weekend in college, came home from a party, and being a few drinks in, was quickly soon asleep. Fast forward a few hours and my roommates dog (a few months old at this point) is barking. She was sleeping in a crate in the hallway between our bedrooms (upstairs), because my roommate wasn't home. Since I was sleeping off the drinks and because the dog barked every night, I figure what the hell, she's just antsier than usual.

In the morning I get a text from my roommate, now home, asking where her liquor bottles were at. I was confused, so I got dressed and came downstairs and saw that my TV, PS4 and all of my PS4/PS3 games were missing (she thought I brought them to my friend's apartment, which we occasionally did). 

Turns out that we had forgotten to lock our patio door / put the block of wood in the door that prevents the sliding door from opening. So in the middle of the night some guys slipped the door open and rummaged through the downstairs. 

 

Now, as for what has come of society:

People have always been shits Greg. Since the concept of owning stuff came about, people have stolen stuff.

Damn all that stuff got stolen ... makes me so mad people do that kind of bleep. I kept calling the robber an 'animal' to the cop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Damn all that stuff got stolen ... makes me so mad people do that kind of bleep. I kept calling the robber an 'animal' to the cop.

Fortunately, my renter's insurance covered theft and due to the sheer volume of games stolen (many PS3 games I hadn't played since getting a PS4), I was able to get a good TV (Black Friday sales extended into the weekend not long afterwards) and replace my PS4. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Holy bleep. 30 seconds. Just like my story. Only for some reason they didn't take my computer bag which surprises me cause with all those compartments there could have been valuable stuff in there. That was a minor blessing they didn't take it cause I have a lot of intstructions and passwords and travel stuff in there. Cant really figure why they didn't want the computer bag w/the puter. Just quick theft of the computer.

Uh, probably because he was going to quick sell it to a fence for $50 in order to buy dope. Doubtful that he was prepping for a new job at a Fortune 500 or an admission to Harvard law. You’re not dealing with a societal genius here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Damn all that stuff got stolen ... makes me so mad people do that kind of bleep. I kept calling the robber an 'animal' to the cop.

That’s why I enjoy living in a state with castle laws, and fully intend to shoot anyone I find breaking in to my house.

Yeah, yeah, maybe you’re just here to steal a few things and not do anything truuuuly nefarious like murder my family. Why should that make a difference? You’re taking the philosophy that should work so that you can have nice stuff.

5.56 is nice. Why don’t you have some of that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a fraternity brother friends wedding in Sioux City IA either when I still was in college or right when I graduated. I still didn’t have a real job. I did get myself a sweet pair of Ray Bans though. So we go to the wedding, afterward my friend who I was with, and about 10 people from the wedding wind up in our hotel room drinking. I had my sunglasses sitting on the desk they provided at the lovely Holiday Inn where we were staying . Out of the corner of my eye, I see two guys talking to each other and one taking my glasses and putting them in his cowboy boot he was wearing. So I walk over and tell the guy I think he has my glasses. He makes up some story about how he thought someone might have misplaced them so he was holding them for later. He gave them back, and I told him he probably should leave. It was only a pair of sunglasses but they blew out my budget back then.

i have just never understood why people can’t have enough decency to leave others things alone. Sorry about that Greg.

 

Not everyone is bad. I lost my wallet at a Sox game earlier this season. I went to the lost and found at Guaranteed Rate, they didn’t have it although I did leave my contact info.I retraced my steps, nothing. The game ends, I am walking out of the park, my phone rings, it’s the White Sox, they have my wallet. Someone turned it in, and they took nothing, not even the cash.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I went to a fraternity brother friends wedding in Sioux City IA either when I still was in college or right when I graduated. I still didn’t have a real job. I did get myself a sweet pair of Ray Bans though. So we go to the wedding, afterward my friend who I was with, and about 10 people from the wedding wind up in our hotel room drinking. I had my sunglasses sitting on the desk they provided at the lovely Holiday Inn where we were staying . Out of the corner of my eye, I see two guys talking to each other and one taking my glasses and putting them in his cowboy boot he was wearing. So I walk over and tell the guy I think he has my glasses. He makes up some story about how he thought someone might have misplaced them so he was holding them for later. He gave them back, and I told him he probably should leave. It was only a pair of sunglasses but they blew out my budget back then.

i have just never understood why people can’t have enough decency to leave others things alone. Sorry about that Greg.

 

Not everyone is bad. I lost my wallet at a Sox game earlier this season. I went to the lost and found at Guaranteed Rate, they didn’t have it although I did leave my contact info.I retraced my steps, nothing. The game ends, I am walking out of the park, my phone rings, it’s the White Sox, they have my wallet. Someone turned it in, and they took nothing, not even the cash.

Gosh darn you got your wallet back! That is sweet story. The pain I felt on mine was for being so bleeping stupid. Yes when you go to the bathroom you sort of think your stuff is unattended, but it's just one minute. Second I was mad the p---k stole my stuff. I mean seriously if I'd have returned to my seat and some guy said "buddy i considered stealing your computer and would have but didn't will you give me something?" yes I'd have given the guy 50 bucks. Major hassle the next 18 hours getting a new puter, dishing out 2400 bucks and lamenting all the stuff i lost on my puter. Now I carry it with me to bathroom and am paranoid about leaving it in the car even if i go to Mass for one hour or run into a store for 10 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

 

 

Not everyone is bad. I lost my wallet at a Sox game earlier this season. I went to the lost and found at Guaranteed Rate, they didn’t have it although I did leave my contact info.I retraced my steps, nothing. The game ends, I am walking out of the park, my phone rings, it’s the White Sox, they have my wallet. Someone turned it in, and they took nothing, not even the cash.

Heh. I dropped my wallet right outside my car when starting a shift at work (and sadly had $200 in). Came to realize it 4 hours later on my lunchbreak. It was still there, but the $200 wasn't. That was definitely a day ruiner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, greg775 said:

Since I live in a smaller town, I've always been not so concerned about getting robbed. I've just never thought of myself and my stuff being in constant danger. I wanted to share this quick story and ask you a.) if I am a chump and deserved to get robbed and b.) ask you to share stories to make me feel better about stuff that's been taken from individuals and it's not just me being a loser.

Quickly: I was at a laundromat cause I like to do laundry in modern laundromats but nobody happened to be in there. I did my laundry and there's a restroom in there. I went to the restroom and came out and my laptop was gone from where I was working. All that information gone cause I forgot to turn on the backup and forgot to turn on the "find my laptop." it really shook me up as I needed to hustle and get a laptop the next day, etc. Cops came out to laundromat, had the guy on film but nobody has captured him or recognized him. Bums me out that I was so f-----g stupid to go to the bathroom for one minute and not realize some a-----e might steal my stuff. 

My question to you: Do you EVER leave your stuff unattended. Do you consider me the biggest chump ever in leaving it sit there for 1 minute? Have you ever had your house broken into or a car stolen or a wallet or ? Any stories to make me feel better about me being a total idiot in leaving my stuff unattended?

Thank you and feel free to be brutal on me if that is your true feeling. I can take it and me being so stupid really has inconvenienced me, losing so much stuff.

Greg...this sucks, but I too have left my laptop when I go pee and am working remote. I lock it, etc...but something feels wrong if I live in a world where I can’t walk away from my stuff for two minutes without it being stolen. 

I will caveat that if I wasn’t in a good neighborhood I might think twice but still I don’t think you are a chump and it is sad that someone jacked your personal belonging. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

something feels wrong if I live in a world where I can’t walk away from my stuff for two minutes without it being stolen. 

You know I think I always felt that way too. It was like walking away from my puter and coming back 49 out of 50 times with nothing wrong made me feel neutral at least about the world. When I came back and saw no puter after just a minute away it really shook me up. So mad at the thief and myself. And then you think ahead to all the stuff you have to do to get your world right again cause of all the s--t in the computer now with some crook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 6:40 PM, greg775 said:

Since I live in a smaller town, I've always been not so concerned about getting robbed. I've just never thought of myself and my stuff being in constant danger.

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones out there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones out there...

Yu mean that I haven't been shot or killed like some unfortunate people? Yeah a lot have it bad. I agree there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones out there...

Just depends what environment you want. We have never locked our doors or cars.

The farmers market has a box to put the money in when you buy something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I've ever had anything stolen is one night when I forgot to lock my car. It was sitting in my driveway at my house. Probably just some kids or something that happened to find out that the door wasn't locked. They took a few CDs, a radar detector and the removable face plate to my stereo (which literally did them or anyone else no good at all without the actual stereo to put it on...)

Easy enough to replace but just a bit of a PITA. Insurance covered the CDs and the face plate. Never did replace the radar detector.

Honestly, I would've brought the laptop into the bathroom with me. Hell, I get nervous if I'm at a McDonald's or something and I see someone leave a phone or something on a table to go refill their drink. I generally don't trust people in public places like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 10:56 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Real talk, is “puter” a word that anyone in mankind has used other than Greg?

I say it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and a friend were at Hawks game in the 80's, we come out and someone had busted my side window out and stole a radar detector. We live 100 miles away and this had to be the coldest night of the year. So we wrapped our heads with some blankets and whatever we could find in my car and drove to the nearest PD. So we were stopped at a traffic light and right next to us was a squad car, we looked over at the cop looked at us all wrapped up and the window out. He just shook his head and drove off 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

College, living in North Philly. (to be expected) I went for a ride on my BMX (I raced professionally) like I did most days. When I came back I left my bike under the stairs inside the front door with my room mates ten speed. Sometimes since my bike was pretty valuable I would bring it upstairs to my room, this day I didn't. (Dummy) I took a shower, room mates all came home and later that night I realized my bike wasn't in my room. I went downstairs and my bike, my room mates ten speed and my other room mates watch were all gone. I think somebody followed me back to the house and while I was showering they came in through a window and left with those 3 items. I actually found the ten speed but not my bike. I was fully sponsored and was covered under my parents insurance. I got fully reimbursed for the bike plus it was free from my sponsor so I basically got paid to have my bike stolen. Having raced BMX for quite some time I've had over 30 bikes....this was the only one that got stolen.

 

Greg, yeah pretty dumb for letting your "puter" out of your site....but as you can see we've all been there, better to be safe than sorry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After college (2013ish) 3 friends and I lived in a house in a decent neighborhood in Minneapolis around the University of Minnesota.  Two of my roommates at the time were big time gamers, so we had four 50-60 inch flatscreens in our living room.  2 for gaming, 2 for whatever sporting events were on that evening (these guys were also Twins fans, so needed a tv for my Sox games!). In hindsight, I am sure our house stuck out like a sore thumb to anyone driving by with 4 large flatscreens right there visible in the living room.

I was always the first awake of the group (3 of the 4 of us lived in the basement)...and I walked upstairs and noticed the house was FREEZING cold.  Turns out the back window had been opened, screen removed, and back door wide open.  I walked into living room and everything was gone.  All 4 tvs.  Several gaming systems - PS4, a couple Xboxs, N64....all the games.  2 laptops, 1 ipad.  1 of my roommates keys were gone...and so was his close to brand new VW Passat.  The guy who got his car stolen had recently moved in so his car was full of stuff.  Half his wardrope, golf clubs, etc., etc.,  Thankfully I always kept all my stuff in my room as there were always a lot of people in and out of that house so I never really felt comfortable leaving my stuff out.  Only thing I lost was an N64 and an older TV.  

But the thing that shocked me the most was the complete lack of giving any fucks by the police.  There was never any follow up.  My roommates car turned up about 2 weeks later full of cig butts and syringes.  All of his stuff was gone.  Only thing in car besides the aforementioned was a bag a woman's thongs.  Pretty sure a stripper was driving the car around.  The cops never made any attempt whatsoever to figure out who broke into the house and robbed us clean of everything they could get their hands on.  And its kind of scary - we were all in the house at the time...sleeping.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

After college (2013ish) 3 friends and I lived in a house in a decent neighborhood in Minneapolis around the University of Minnesota.  Two of my roommates at the time were big time gamers, so we had four 50-60 inch flatscreens in our living room.  2 for gaming, 2 for whatever sporting events were on that evening (these guys were also Twins fans, so needed a tv for my Sox games!). In hindsight, I am sure our house stuck out like a sore thumb to anyone driving by with 4 large flatscreens right there visible in the living room.

I was always the first awake of the group (3 of the 4 of us lived in the basement)...and I walked upstairs and noticed the house was FREEZING cold.  Turns out the back window had been opened, screen removed, and back door wide open.  I walked into living room and everything was gone.  All 4 tvs.  Several gaming systems - PS4, a couple Xboxs, N64....all the games.  2 laptops, 1 ipad.  1 of my roommates keys were gone...and so was his close to brand new VW Passat.  The guy who got his car stolen had recently moved in so his car was full of stuff.  Half his wardrope, golf clubs, etc., etc.,  Thankfully I always kept all my stuff in my room as there were always a lot of people in and out of that house so I never really felt comfortable leaving my stuff out.  Only thing I lost was an N64 and an older TV.  

But the thing that shocked me the most was the complete lack of giving any fucks by the police.  There was never any follow up.  My roommates car turned up about 2 weeks later full of cig butts and syringes.  All of his stuff was gone.  Only thing in car besides the aforementioned was a bag a woman's thongs.  Pretty sure a stripper was driving the car around.  The cops never made any attempt whatsoever to figure out who broke into the house and robbed us clean of everything they could get their hands on.  And its kind of scary - we were all in the house at the time...sleeping.  

That is very scary. They probably were armed if you were in the house sleeping. That's a helluva lot of stuff they stole. Yeah, in my case the police didn't even ask if I wanted to see the picture of the guy. I mean hell I could see the guy come back to the same place some time. No call; no nothing; no followup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kid that grew up on the same street as me was murdered over his iphone in 2015. Court just ruled his killer will be back on the streets in 2020. Chicago really becoming the beacon for justice. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/West-Side-Man-Charged-With-Fatal-Lakeview-Armed-Robbery-558617491.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 3:12 PM, raBBit said:

Kid that grew up on the same street as me was murdered over his iphone in 2015. Court just ruled his killer will be back on the streets in 2020. Chicago really becoming the beacon for justice. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/West-Side-Man-Charged-With-Fatal-Lakeview-Armed-Robbery-558617491.html

What was the reasoning raBBit?  Apparently this dude was out on bail for threatening police officers with a machete, so it’s pretty inexusable how he got off here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×