8/27- Sox vs Twins, 7:10, NBCSC+

flavum

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s not, but I’m confident he will bat over .247.

Wouldn't shock me if he's a worse Kris Davis, it also wouldn't shock me if he lowers his K% to ~20% and hits 40+ dingers with a high batting average. His minor league profile was about as strong as you could possibly want from a power hitter.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

The Eloy takes in this thread are beyond ridiculous. I'll just leave it at that. 

I mean, he very well could be the guy that we all thought we were getting, but there's no evidence of it right now. We'll have to see if the staff can make some minor tweaks like they did with Moncada to bring out his talent. The criticisms that fathom brought up are valid. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Don’t tell me you didn’t expect more from him this year, especially with the ball they are using.

I did, but I think it is way too early to write him off. He has admitted he basically did no preparation for part of the year. Once he started to figure it out, he got injured, then injured again. He hit 284/340/602 in June. He is only at 255/278/468 in August, but his BABIP is below 300 (part of that is his fault for hitting so many grounders though). It is a shame he didn't set the world on fire in his rookie year, but after Moncada, Anderson, and Gio, I am not going to ding him too much for that yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t tell me you didn’t expect more from him this year, especially with the ball they are using.

The injuries have hurt him quite a bit this season (he was in a rhythm with solid PA's then the injury bug hit). Was I expecting maybe a higher average this year? Sure, but the power is there. What I'm seeing right now is a guy whose timing is still off. At least earlier in the year, he was striking out on the 10 sliders pitchers were pitching to him. Now he can't even hit fastballs down the middle. His timing is just off. I not worried at all about his bat. If there's anything that's disappointed me with Eloy, it's definitely his (lack of) defense. I did not expect him to be nearly THIS bad.